1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women's History Month: Early Radio Evangelist Harriette Gray

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Jerome, Mar 31, 2022.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tribute by Faith Baptist Bible College in its centennial year (founded as Omaha Bible Institute in 1921) recalls a time when women could be at the forefront of Baptist Fundamentalism:

Faith Baptist Bible College

"Harriette Amanda Flora Gray...one of the most influential women in the history of our school. Her contributions as a teacher, director, and supporter of Omaha Bible Institute (OBI) in its early days of the 1920s cannot be overstated. She became nationally known through her radio broadcasts and became the first woman to ever have a nationwide radio Bible class....She was the wife of the president of the Union Pacific Railroad and was, at the time, regarded as 'one of the four best Bible authorities in the United States' (The Living Word, Volume 7, May 1925)."

"OBI’s founder, Dr. William H. Jordan...frequently leaned on her for advice and decision-making....In the early years of OBI, she was one of its most significant teachers....she, along with Mrs. E.B. Young...[were] members of the original OBI Board of Directors....God used Mrs. Gray...to bring credibility to Omaha Bible Institute, which would eventually outgrow its capacity and move to Ankeny, Iowa, where it became Faith Baptist Bible College."

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was new to me (and I have long supported and often been on the Ankeny campus) about Fatih's history. The role of godly women is often overlooked, but this should be lauded and set as a great example.

Many good schools were blessed with women on their Board or Faculty, but this dear lady stands at a level far above the average. I enjoyed women faculty in my undergrade training at a Baptist University, but they were in speech, music and education class level - not in Bible or Theology.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember Mrs. M. James (Jane) Hollowood MBBC who forgot more theology than a lot of preachers knew in the first place.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I sat in their Minneapolis home (he was the State Director for Minnesota Baptist Convention and an adjunct prof at Central Seminary) and had many chats with both of them. They sharpened each other - he had tons of formal education for ministry and she from reading the discussions.

Did you know Jane had never graduated from college? As he taught at MBU's grad school, she took needed classes to complete her B.A. in 1970. Can't recall a happier look on the face of ANY graduate that year :)