1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women's issues big fight poll

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 31, 2004.

?
  1. Yes

97.9%
  2. No

2.1%
  3. Let me clarify in a minute.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What is your stance on these women's issues in the church?

2. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Should a woman serve as a pastor of a church?

Yes 0% (0)

No 100% (4) ---Pamela's choice

Let me clarify in a minute. 0% (0)

Should a woman serve as a minister of a church (ie youth, music, children, etc.)

Yes 25% (1)

No 50% (2)

Let me clarify 25% (1) --Pamela's choice
    In youth or children's ministries if it is a joint effort of a husband/wife team with the husband being the leader, I don't really have a problem with it. My husband and I was in charge of Children's Ministries at our last church. I made no final decisions and he did all the teaching.

Should a woman serve as a deacon/deaconess of a church?

Yes 25% (1)

No 75% (3) --Pamela's choice

Let me clarify 0% (0)

Should a woman teach in church, ie in the pulpit, but not be a pastor?

Yes 0% (0)

No 100% (4) --Pamela's choice

Let me clarify 0% (0)

Should a woman be able to preach, as long as she is not pastoring?

Yes 0% (0)

No 100% (4) -- Pamela's choice

Let me clarify 0% (0)

Should a woman be able to pray out loud in church?

Yes 25% (1)

No 75% (3) --Pamela's choice

Let me clarify 0% (0)

Should a woman sing a solo in church?

Yes 50% (2) --Pamela's choice (I see nothing wrong with it as long as it is not for show and she is not standing in the pulpit.

No 50% (2)

Let me clarify 0% (0)

Should a woman be able to teach an adult Sunday School class?

Yes 0% (0)

No 75% (3)

Let me clarify 25% (1) --Pamela's choice (I think it is fine if it is strictly a ladies class. Lesson plans being looked over by the pastor ahead of time. We have one of our ladies discipling a new convert through the week and my husband looks over the material covered just to make sure everything lines up doctrinally.)

Should a woman be silent in church?

Yes 75% (3)

No 0% (0)

Let me clarify 25% (1) --Pamela's choice (I believe women can vote in business meetings, but I don't think they should be able to express their opinions. I believe it is ok for women to Amen in church if they are comfortable doing it. There are really a lot of situations to which this question could apply. Perhaps Saggy should start that topic.)

Should a woman hold any position period in church?

Yes 25% (1)

No 50% (2)

Let me clarify 25% (1) --Pamela's choice (I see nothing wrong for a lady to be in charge of a shut-in ministry or a prayer ministry. I also see nothing wrong with a lady keeping track of finances for tax purposes.)

My answers are not meant to offend anyone and I know that everyone will think differently to some. These are simply my honest opinions. [​IMG]

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I voted yes on women praying becasue I think it depends, our First Place group is all women and then of course there is the women's bible study group, all women, so women must pray at some time.

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

It all depends on what it is that God has called you to do. It is one thing to get up and teach a Sunday School, yet we need to be sure of what Gods call is on our life first.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Women should only teach other women and children that include boys under 12. She can assist her husband as a youth leader... under HIS authority/ leadership. Women can pray in women's meetings.

6. MaryKay

MaryKay New Member

Although I enjoy this board a great deal , I have been VERY reluctant to voice an opinion on anything for some time ...I must agree with Diane. also
    I can't imagine a woman speaking from the pulpit in my church( other than to sing).Mk

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Where does a woman giving a testimony in church of God's work in her life fall?

8. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

Diane,
    Could you provide biblical support for a woman to be unable to instruct an adult Sunday school class but is still able to instruct other women and children under 12?
    I respect your beliefs and my question is driven by curiosity only. thanks.

9. Amity

Amity Guest

Hi! I'm wondering if you'd mind clarifying the teaching of boys under 12. I have been asked to prayerfully consider teaching the older children in my church and wondered about this. My son is the only boy, he's age 12 and saved. I have to teach my own son anyway, as I am the spiritual head of my household since my husband is an unbeliever. But....I had asked someone else about this scenario...... I was wondering about if another boy joined the class who was that age or older. The lady I asked suggested that since these young boys are still under their parents household it would be okay for me to teach them. I haven't really decided yet on the issue.

Thoughts are appreciated.....from you and others who have the same conservative viewpoint as I do that we should not be in authority over men.

Love in Christ.

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We like to play pope on a lot of things, don't we? 'Women can teach boys if they (the boys) are no older than 12'... 'women can sing solos as long as they are not standing in the pulpit...'

I'm not sure what to think of some of these things. Women who proclaim here that women are not allowed to teach are themselves teaching-- or don't they know it?

I am in a Sunday Bible Study class in which the primary 'teacher' is a woman. That might have bothered me years ago, but it doesn't now. "Sunday school," although it takes place at church, is actually not church [the assembly]. Even when it's a man teaching our class, the women are not silent listeners, but contribute to the points being made-- as on this board. And it's almost impossible to do that without teaching-- proclaiming something to be true based on experience or otherwise upon facts authenticated within the scope of acceptability within the given atmosphere.

In simplest terms, if "Sunday school" is not a biblically mandated activity, which it isn't, how do biblically mandated commands come into it anyway? In I Corinthians, the instructions to the assembly are that 2 or 3 'prophets' should speak, 2 or no more than 3 should speak in tongues, but only with an interpreter, and women should be "silent." Why go through all this nonsense about women not teaching in Sunday school if no attempt whatsoever is made to form a SS class into all these biblical mandates for the assembly?

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Scripture is quite clear on a woman's place in the church setting. Women are not to 'teach' men in the church, which includes Sunday School.

Women should teach the 'all women's classes':
    Titus 2:3 the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things-- 4 that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.

Twelve Years Old:
    Luke 2:41 His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. 42 And when He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast. 43 When they had finished the days, as they returned, the Boy Jesus lingered behind in Jerusalem. And Joseph and His mother did not know it; 44 but supposing Him to have been in the company, they went a day's journey, and sought Him among their relatives and acquaintances. 45 So when they did not find Him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking Him. 46 Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. 47 And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers. 48 So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, "Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously." 49 And He said to them, "Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father's business?" 50 But they did not understand the statement which He spoke to them. 51 Then He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them, but His mother kept all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

Should we replace the age of 12 with 'puberty'?

May I also suggest that a woman should not be alone with a boy 'of age' except for her own sons just as a man should not be alone with a young girl who is 'of age' unless it is his own daughter.

Alcott, Baptist Board is NOT church.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Luke 2 does not say a boy is a man when he is 12, even in Jewish tradition it is 13(Bar Mitzvah). If a boy of 12 is a man becasue of his age then he is a man and can make his own decisions, no longer has to listen to mom's demands to clean his room after all he is a man and she is disrepecting him.
    As far as I have ever been able to see there is no age in scripture where one is proclaimed an adult and a boy can not longer be taught by a woman. It is more or less cultural, in our country it seems to be 18, in Jewish culture it was 13(for boys, 12 for girls).
    If our whole lives are to be lived for God, obeying Him, dedicated to him then all of our lives are to be worship, and the bible teaches that where two or more believers are then He is there,(a gathering of 'the church'), and we are to teach our children about God and His word all the time, wherever we are(O.T. verse, can't remember where), then everything in our lives in order with God's word and will is worship, then a mothr homeschooling a son over the age of 12 is sinning and should not be teaching him. Otherwise she proclaims their lives are not in worship to God.

13. Dale

Dale New Member

Diane, those were some very good points.
    I would like to add that men have no authority over other mens wives either. I think a lot of people miss that. Of course wives listen to the pastor, but there should be nothing directly between the woman and her pastor, remember it says that women should submit to their OWN husbands.

Anyway, Diane, you seem to have a good handle on this topic as far as I am concerned.

14. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am not altogether sure, yet I think that it says in the Old Testament that the age of accountability is 13. Thus why the Jewsih Bah-Mitzvah is for that age.

15. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I am not sure what standing in the pulpit as opposed to standing on the side has to do anything.

16. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

In clarifying women and silence in the church: I think they should be silent if speaking causes disorder.

But then, for the same reason, I think men should shut up, too.

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Sunday School" is not a scriptural establishment. If it is because it is 'within' the church, which means assembly, and therefore Sunday School is sub-assembly, per se, that should apply to anything else church-related, too. If a woman is a church secretary, can she not even post a scripture on one of those outdoor signs, or is that teaching?

I suppose. How are we going to go about it? Have voice teachers rate their voices to be sure they are at least beginning to go through change? Measure the broadness of their shoulders? Have a doctor certify they are officially pubertized?

To that we should say "Amen," "Hallelujah," or some such thing. To be consistent with your stated views on what church is, home Bible studies or street meetings do not qualify. So I assume you think a woman can teach a man in these settings-- correct?

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Not if they are endorsed by the church. Witnessing to a man in a store is a lot different than a church assembly on 4th and Main and a Home Bible Study should be led by the Spiritual Leader of that home (MAN) unless it's all women at the Bible Study.

Our church will be having 'Super Bowl Huddles' in homes and MEN will lead those Bible Studies.