1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wonder what FRESH figs taste like?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by abcgrad94, Aug 17, 2010.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A friend of mine has a fig tree in her backyard. The previous owner of her house was from Lebanon and brought the fig cutting and planted it. The cutting grew into a tree and yesterday, I ate freshly picked figs for the first time. They are dark colored, the size of a quarter, and taste much like a plum. Up until now, I'd only eaten fig newton cookies or dried figs in a recipe--never fresh, sweet figs right from the tree. YUM!

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have no ideal. Taste buds dont work.

Salty

ps seriously - neither does my nose

3. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I think they're gross. I have some in my backyard and I won't eat them. My kiddos eat them and so does my husband, but I don't. I think they're slimy in texture which is an instant turn-off.

I don't like figs in any form, though.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

One of my funniest childhood memories is watching some birds eat figs at my grandmother's house.

The tree was quite prolific. Even though my aunt & grandmother picked figs and canned/preserved them (and they invited neighbors to do so), there were always more figs than what were consumed. Thus, figs would get overripe and fall off the tree.

The figs would ferment, and the birds would get quite drunk.

It was funny watching them try to walk, fly, etc. They were pretty wasted. (The birds...not my aunt & grandmother) :D

Wish it had been in the day of video cameras--that might have been a winner!
    Funny, it was...

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

The only figs I've ever had were in fig bars, and they were OK I guess--something to eat anyway.

6. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I love fresh figs! I grew up eating them from my grandmother's tree, and also making fig preserves. There is nothing better on a biscuit than fig preserves and butter. Yum!!

There is an organic farm nearby where we can go and pick figs (and other things, too). I usually go and get enough for a couple of batches of preserves. I guess it's time to go again!!

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

We have 2 Fig trees on the family farm----we get what we want and the neighbors are welcome to stop and pick

I like um strait off the tree or preserves on a bisquit!!

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm not too big in figs, although I have my moods when I love 'em.

My thing is dates. One is more than enough to feel like you just ate a whole bag of candy!

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I like fresh figs but they do have a LAXATIVE action if too many are consumed.

Kiwifruit are popular here (in NZ, what a surprise) and as a drink is very good at regulating stubborn colons.

Have you tasted a Fejoia?