1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Woo Hoo! Election Reform is a comin!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by YOUTUBECANBESAVED, Nov 7, 2008.

1. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

YOUTUBECANBESAVED New Member

Good! and the party of obstruction cannot stop it!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-11-06-voting_N.htm

State and federal officials are poised to consider a number of changes designed to make it easier for millions of Americans to get registered, stay registered and vote without problems.

Democrats, including President-elect Barack Obama, have long been in favor of reducing impediments to vote. Now that they have seized the White House and increased their majorities in Congress, they are hoping to advance some stalled initiatives.

"We're expecting that they're going to be fairly activist in 2009," says Doug Lewis, executive director of the Election Center, which represents state and local election officials.

The most likely change in the next few years, experts say, is the expansion of early voting. Lines were shorter on Election Day in battleground states that allowed any voter to cast a ballot ahead of time. In states where excuses are required, such as Pennsylvania and Virginia, lines were longer.

Maryland, approved a measure Tuesday that could lead to early voting there.

wait there is more!

Universal registration. The top priority of voting-rights groups, such as the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University's School of Law, is to give the government responsibility for registering citizens. Everyone eligible to vote would automatically be registered and would remain registered if they move.

Making it easier to register. Proposals range from pre-registering 16- and 17-year-olds when they get driver's licenses to registering new citizens at naturalization ceremonies. Voting rights groups such as Common Cause want to add to the nine states that now allow Election Day registration.

Improving election administration. This could include new standards for machine allocation at polling sites, the use of paper ballots when machines break down, and the process of casting provisional votes.

Banning deceptive practices. A measure Obama co-sponsored in Congress that would criminalize deceptive practices, such as misinforming potential voters with phone calls and fliers, might resurface in the next Congress. "New action is needed to ensure a fair election for all," says Wade Henderson, president of the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights.

This great for our nation to be more inclusive, Republicans are in favor of suppressing the vote and it is no wonder their base is shrinking.

Thank God for Ronald Reagans law in 1986 we shall soon have even more of a base, Woo Hoo! btw thankyou my Latino brothers and sisters for voting for Barack Obama our President. Republicans need to get off their lazy be hinds and actually try to recruit you.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There seems to be no doubt that you wish to remove the power to conduct their elections from the states.

I'm not sure, but doesn't the Constitution grant that right to the states?

3. billwald

billwald New Member

Ya sure, you betcha. As long as both parties are owned by the same people all the election does is choose the Tax Collector In Chief.

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

This is the only thing you said I disagree with UTube. I want everyone to get their legal right to vote and I know of no republicans who are in favor of suppressing anyone's vote. I am in favor of every one of the ideas you have presented. We need to make it very easy to vote.

The only thing we cannot do is allow fraud to take place. Early voting is a great idea, as long as anyone attempting to vote twice gets caught and sent to jail. Multiple registrations that might take place under some of your scenarios is not a big deal to me. If you ACCIDENTALLY get registered at two addresses who cares, there should be some kind of reference that catches that and as long as it was by accident and you don't try to vote twice I don't think that should be a crime.

Now if you registered two places on purpose, or took money to register or vote, or paid someone to vote, you need to go to jail and it needs to be a felony that results in the permanent loss of your vote in the future.

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

Be careful of the assumptions you make about the republican base here Utube, John McCain never sought or won the support of the republican base. He ran as a left leaning moderate and in my book was a full blown liberal. The real republican base is much more conservative than McCain and a lot of them sat this election out.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because of the motor voter law requiring everyone getting a drivers license to be given a voter registration cardl, and because OR and maybe others allowed for several years the illegal aliens to get drivers licenses there were probably many illegals voting in the last and some previous elections.

Yep we really need to make voting easier :thumbs:

Not against making it easier but easier might well mean watering down the citizens power of the ballot.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not in favor of early voting. The Constitution set up a certain day for voting - for a reason.

The only reason for absentee ballots should be only for valid reasons - out of town, ect.

I am against the so called "motor voter" law.
    First, just because you submit your form at DMV does not mean it gets to the election board.

I consider voting a sacred right. Every time I have moved (which is many times) I take a trip to the county election board and register in person. It doesn't take that long and it gives me a great feeling. (I also go to the loosing county and "de-register")
    As I said voting is a sacred right, so whats wrong in taking a little bit of RESPONSIBILITY and register to vote!

As far as long lines, I have NEVER had a problem in New York, or W. VA. That seems to be more of a local problem. Seems like they need additional personnel and/or equipment.

And what makes you think that only Republicans are trying to suppress the vote.

The biggest problem in voter suppression is gerrymandering.

8. North Carolina Tentmaker

Now there is a valid concern. I once lived in Cynthia McKinney's district that was struck down by the supreme court for being rigged.

District lines should have to follow county lines or other established boundries. Both sides have rigged districts for way to long.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Actually it is 19th century US Code that established the Tuesday after the first Monday in November. The constitution left it up to the states.

#9 NaasPreacher (C4K), Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2008
  10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ouch!!

That must have been painful.

11. givengrace

givengrace New Member

Republicans Aren't Lazy. They are out Working so YOUR newly elected Pres. Can take away the money and give it to the LAZY Dem-A-CRAPS. Who live off the Government. And in the Area where I live On my Schools Bus Route I see More and More Hispanics who are getting the idea from the Blacks who have been living this lifestyle for many years. That is why in the County I live ONE of the reasons John McCain won 75% to Obams 25%. Be cause were HARD WORKING People and were tired of others Living off us. That's why We have Boundaries and YOU DON'T. And you may be Happy Now but Obam's Not there yet. So don't hold your breath cause Now you get to how far his FALL will be.

12. North Carolina Tentmaker

But always entertaining:laugh:

13. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Actually, it doesn't do so directly. It is in those powers not specifically delegated to the federal govenment section.

There are some things that need to be standardized, because electing a President should not be subject to different state rules. For example, the method used by states to determine their electoral vote is not consistent. In Maine and Nebraska, there are different rules. The standards applied to counting are also different, particularly related to the kinds of ballots used, and the way to rectify or correct errors.

The federal government should conduct federal elections, leaving the states to conduct state and local elections. That might open the door to changing the electoral college, or eliminating it, but it would prevent arbirtary actions by secretaries of states with partisan interests such as we have seen in the previous two elections.

14. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

You've been listening to way, way too much talk radio.

15. givengrace

givengrace New Member

I've Listen to NONE Is that to much?
    Did you not READ What I Said? While I'm on my Bus Route For YEARS I ride in the areas where they live. Everyone Walks around Stands in the streets they don't get out of your way. Drug deals I see EVERY DAY. People on Porches instead of out working. LAZY

#15 givengrace, Nov 7, 2008
  16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Watch it Given Grace you are going to be labled a racist.

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

It ain't broke, so please don't try to 'fix' it!

Um, OK, I guess for some of this, but the US Constitution doesn't even mention any such thing as a "federal election", that I've seen. Nor, FTR, does the Constitution even "give" anyone any "right to vote" for a President, although it does guarantee the citizens such a right to vote for their two Senators and one Representative.

That "right to vote" for the President, has been done by the legislatures of the several states, in their own wisdom, for the purpose of how the electors are appointed, which happens to be entirely consistent with the Constitution.

Incidentally, the states of Maine and Nebraska are also entirely consistent with the US Constitution in their approach to the appointment of their electors, just as are the other 48 states. California is, at least, considering a similar plan. Some other states are also considering various different plans, as well. Why should their wisdom be infringed upon, by those of say, my own state? Personally, I really don't want the citizens of the states of WI, TX, WA, NC, OR, AL, GA, TN, or SC to be able impose their laws on me. Have you also happened to notice that Nebraska is the only state with a "unicameral" or "one-house" legislature, as well? All of the above is entirely Constitutional.

What you are suggesting, by contrast, is an entirely "UN-constitutional" proposal.
    BTW, your implied 'dig' at the several Secretaries of State (not to mention the Legislatures of those states, for enacting whatever legislation they saw fit to do, in their collective wisdom), is also noted.

Does the same 'standard' also apply to judges (both State and Federal), in your view?

Ed

#17 EdSutton, Nov 7, 2008