1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Woody Woodpecker Lives!!!!! in eastern Arkansas

Discussion in 'Science' started by ASLANSPAL, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Picture: NPR article and PICTURE

I've see the Pilated woodpecker in NY and was impressed; this bird must be awesome!

Rob

2. mareese

mareese Guest

I may be confusing this one with the pileated woodpecker, but was suprised to see this post saying they were thought to be extinct. As a child living in a remote area of Pennsylvania, spending many hours alone exploring the woods, I could almost swear I saw this ivory billed one on occasion. I used to think the ones without white were females and the louder ones with white were males, (of the same type) which has me really wondering now if I was seeing both the pileated and this one. What has convinced me even more is listening to a soundtrack of it's call. The sound is quite distinct, as is the very loud knocking sound that always starts as a double knock. I never thought that it was anything to mention to anyone, simply a part of the woods!
    These sights don't list PA as part of their habitat though.
    Hm.