1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Word differences: 1611 vs. newer KJVs

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by BrianT, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Your confusion stems from your failure to realize that women should not go around naked ... Of course you realize that, but Peter and Paul's point is that women should not only be concerned with outward appearance but also with the heart. There is an absolute necessity for outward adorning. But women should not be only concerned about outward adorning. There is nothing wrong with women wearing gold. But study the first century context and you will see what the point is. What is being condemned is a style of dress that draws undue attention to their outward appearance and compromises or questions their godliness. Gold and hairstyles does not have to do this; it may if not used appropriately.

Today, we have a breed of people who focus on outward adorning to an unhealthy and unbiblical point. They insist that women wear no pants. That is an undue concern with outward adorning. We have even had people suggest dishonesty by saying that when you wear shorts, you should make them look like a dress so nobody really knows you are wearing shorts. These people need to drop this obsession with outward appearance since it is a direct violation of the Scripture. The rule of Scripture is modesty and appropriateness.

There is no confusion here.

[ September 25, 2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Pastor Larry ]

2. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

timothy 1769 said:

It's true, I'm pretty stupid, but I can still see how "of the Damascenes" could have accidentally been left out of the first printing.

So much for the vaunted doctrine of preservation.

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Originally posted by timothy 1769:

The 1611 translation itself was, and is, pure.

Also posted by timothy 1769:

It's true, I'm pretty stupid, but I can still see how "of the Damascenes" could have accidentally been left out of the first printing.

KJV-only doublespeak.

[​IMG] :( [​IMG] :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes: [​IMG] :( [​IMG]

4. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Pastor Larry said:

Your confusion stems from your failure to realize that women should not go around naked ... Of course you realize that, but Peter and Paul's point is that women should not only be concerned with outward appearance but also with the heart. There is an absolute necessity for outward adorning.

I think perhaps you don't understand what 'adorn' means.

ADORN', v.t.

1. To deck or decorate; to make beautiful; to add to beauty by dress; to deck with external ornaments.

As you can see, Peter's command wasn't to avoid wearing clothing, but to not adorn oneself with it. So women shouldn't wear clothing in order to decorate themselves or make themselves beautiful, but can wear it for modesty or other reasons. Thus saith the Lord.

5. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Ransom, please understand that a translation isn't a printing.

6. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Really? I don't see that unless you think preservation means it's impossible to print a Bible containing a typographical error.

7. Archangel7

Archangel7 New Member

One. But you misunderstand my position, I think each change was likely a correction of an earlier printer's mistake, adding to the purity of the printed editions. The 1611 translation itself was, and is, pure. </font>[/QUOTE]"Was likely" a correcton? It sounds like you don't know for certain. I could just as easily assert that the changes "were likely" deliberate alterations to the original 1611 text -- especially those made by Blayney in 1769 over a century after the last of the KJV translators had died. How do you *know* that the 1611 translation "was, and is, pure" when we don't have the original KJV translator's notes or proofs to determine this?

Your response about the difference between the 1611 and 1769 KJV's raises other questions. Were the English speaking people without a "pure, preserved, perfect word of God" between 1611 and 1769? Did they use a "corrupt" Bible all those years until Blayney came along? On what basis and by what authority could Blayney introduce changes to "correct" the text of the KJV which had been used by God's people for over a hundred years?

8. Archangel7

Archangel7 New Member

Your argument seems to be --

(1) God arranged for a perfect English translation to be made in 1611;
    (2) God didn't consider it necessary to providentially preserve that perfect translation from printer's errors;
    (3) Yet all those imperfectly printed copies were still considered the word of God and used by God for the edification of His people.

How does this differ significantly from the following position? --

(1) God arranged for a perfect Greek and Hebrew autograph to be made in ancient times;
    (2) God didn't consider it necessary to providentially preserve that perfect autograph from copyist's errors;
    (3) Yet all those imperfect manuscript copies were still considered the word of God and used by God for the edification of His people.

After all, just as a translation is not a printing, so an autograph is not a copy. [​IMG]

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

[You think wrong. I am well aware of what it means. (However, it would be more helpful for you to define the word that PEter used which was "kosmos." Defining English words is not all that beneficial.).

You missed the point of the passage ... that is my point. Making oneself beautiful or attractive is not the issue. It is a wrong focus on those things that is the issue. It is the making beautiful of the outside without proper concern for the inside. There is nothing wrong with clothing that is attractive or that makes one look nice. In fact, it is appropriate for a Christian to dress in light of the glory of hte God which he or she serves.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I have already asked you twice to defend this statement. Why do you refuse? Please tell us what the difference is, how you know one without the other, and how do you know which is right? Please do not stall on this.

11. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Maybe he means that "the KJV" is perfect (but doesn't really exist), and that all we have are corrupt printings of it.

12. bryan1276

bryan1276 New Member

All this tearing down of a Bible by Christians is really dumb. Concerning the text in the editions of the KJV... I can believe every single edition of the KJV and have no problems at all. For instance if a text says he had shekels and I believe that, it is no problem to see in a later edition that he had shekels of silver... I can believe both statements without having trouble reconciling. I know you guys says KJO has a double standard about that, but thats the long and the short of it... All editions have no textual duplicity--if it says he went to the city and it says she went to the city and the fact is they both went; I believe all three statements w/o a problem. This is NOT the case with the modern versions. I cant believe every word that they say altogether b/c they contradict. Some say one thing and others will say something else yet heretical teaching today says you can believe ALL the modern revisions together, but for some reason you arent suppose to believe editions of the KJV that have no problem textually reconciling. And apparently if you dont attack the KJV, you arent orthodox either in modern circles.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree it is really dumb to tear down a Bible... so why don't you dispense with your double standard and stop it.

14. kman

kman New Member

Are you saying the "printer errors" are inspired by God and thus inerrant?

15. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

I agree with you that tearing down the NIV or NASB, etc. by Christians is really dumb. I don't know about way back in modern times, but today there is no orthodoxy in attacking the KJV, only combatting the false doctrine of the KJVOs. And that's only because they insist on tearing down other people's Bibles first. If they'd follow Scripture and not try to shove their particular version down other believers' throats or impose it upon them, there'd be no trouble. Instead, they insist on being heretics (in the literal, original sense of the word).

16. Archangel7

Archangel7 New Member

Consider the following verse:

"For her blood is in the midst of her; she set it upon the top of a rock; she poured it upon the ground, to cover it with dust" (Ezek. 24:7, 1611 KJV).

"For her blood is in the midst of her; she set it upon the top of a rock; she poured it *not* upon the ground, to cover it with dust" (Ezek. 24:7, today's KJV).

You'll note that one of these KJV's says she *did* pour it on the ground, and the other says that she did *not* pour it on the ground. How do you reconcile them? Can you believe both these KJV's even though they flat-out contradict each other? Which one is correct? And how do you *know* which one is correct? What is your "final authority" for deciding which of these two "final authorities" is the right one?

17. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Consider the following verse:

"For her blood is in the midst of her; she set it upon the top of a rock; she poured it upon the ground, to cover it with dust" (Ezek. 24:7, 1611 KJV).

"For her blood is in the midst of her; she set it upon the top of a rock; she poured it *not* upon the ground, to cover it with dust" (Ezek. 24:7, today's KJV).

You'll note that one of these KJV's says she *did* pour it on the ground, and the other says that she did *not* pour it on the ground. How do you reconcile them? Can you believe both these KJV's even though they flat-out contradict each other? Which one is correct? And how do you *know* which one is correct? What is your "final authority" for deciding which of these two "final authorities" is the right one?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Neither edition has any textual duplicity--if it says she poured it on the ground and if it says she poured it not on the ground then the fact is she both poured it on the ground and didn't; I believe both statements w/o a problem. This is NOT the case with the modern versions. I can't believe every word that they say altogether b/c they contradict. But pouring on the ground and not pouring on the ground is not a contradiction, because the KJV says both happened.

The preceding program may have contained ideas that were not necessarily those of the poster. The poster is therefore not responsible for the contents of the post, nor are any subsidiaries of the poster or their management. Transcripts of the post may be available through your local station.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DOUBLE-SPEAK ALERT!!!

BTW the infamous KJV "wicked Bible" of 1632 had "thou shalt commit adultery".

HankD

[ September 27, 2003, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: HankD ]

19. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

timothy 1769 said:

Ransom, please understand that a translation isn't a printing.

In other words, the translation is perfect, but all the copies that exist (i.e. printings) are flawed.

You gotta laugh.

[​IMG] . [​IMG] . [​IMG] . [​IMG] .
    . [​IMG] . [​IMG] . [​IMG] . [​IMG]

20. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

timothy 1769 said:

Really? I don't see that unless you think preservation means it's impossible to print a Bible containing a typographical error.

Entire words and phrases (i.e. God's thoughts) drop out of the text, and you don't see how it affects preservation?

You gotta laugh.

. [​IMG] [​IMG] .
    [​IMG] . . [​IMG]
    [​IMG] . . [​IMG]
    . [​IMG] [​IMG] .