1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

''Word'' problems

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by laterunner, Feb 17, 2006.

1. laterunner

laterunner New Member

My son caused ''word'' not to open. I uninstalled & reinstalled but it seems that it isn't all removed because it still won't open.
    I have o_O.o. (open office in the meantime) but wan't ''word'' back.Someone sent me a file to remove all of ''word '' but that won't open because m/soft has barred it. Clicking on the accompaning small page telling me to ''unlock'' m/soft security which I can't find --the ''unlock''. Sorry I can't be more helpful I'm a novice silversurfer.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm guessing -- did you have the version of Word that came with your new computer? Or did you buy the full version and install it?

See, my new laptop came with a version of Microsoft Office (including Word) that turned out to be only a trial version; as of January 31, it's "locked" and no longer usable unless I pay some money to get the unlock code.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If all else fails, you can pick up older versions of Word Perfect cheap, then download a more current version or upgrade fairly cheap. It actually opens in Word mode and even looks like similar.

4. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Open Office is a nice office suite, and it's free. It's what we've used on our laptop since the 30 day trial ran out on Word.

LINK

5. laterunner

laterunner New Member

Thanks folk for your ideas.
    don--->
    I had the Office 2000 discs from my previous computer which weren't ''trial''.
    Now I have XP. The ''word''; which is now non functioning, was installed from the previous discs.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it is asking for the key, I'd guess that is the problem, it occurs every time I reinstall any of our MS stuff. You might email MS and tell them you lost it and see if there is a process by which you can get it replaced.

7. laterunner

laterunner New Member

Update

><> ><> Thanks. A mate told me how very difficult it is to totally uninstall ''word''.
    Go to start-> control panel-> remove ''word''. -> Run ''regit''-> remove''HKEY-USER-CURRENT->????-- office,micosoft word, 11.0-9.0 or what ever & \Data.
    Then remove all the files that come up when you ''find files & folders'' under ''Normal.dot'' Then reinstall ''office word'' (whatever year,) from disc.
    Took me ages as the removal file he sent me couldn't be opened (until I unlocked it in it's ''properties'') I wasn't sure that all the files under Normal.dot should be deleted (they should be). This may help someone else[/quote]