1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Word Study G322, Anadeiknymi

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your OP dealt with Luke 10:1 and Acts 1:24. You came up with some translation novelities. You have not addressed my repeated requests to justify why you can stick with such poor choices. You have not answered specific questions. You are always running away --but you can't hide from me. You have to man-up and answer my queries. Don't chicken-out Van. Your OP is flopping in the wiind.
    Well, are you flipping things around! You are the one doing the rewriting Bud. And your translation efforts are supposedly superior to every other English version on the market because ...you say so?
    There you go again disparaging legitimate Bible translations. Do you want to pretend that you are biblical and scholarly Van?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess one does not need to study and really know the greek.hebrew, nor linguistics to translate . eh?

Wonder when the van improved edition coming out?

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More of the same, disparage Van, posts from the hate speech spewers.

1) Did Luke use "ana" which means in our midst or among us? Yes.

2) How would anyone translate a word meaning to show among us? How about "indicate to us?"

3) Apparently study of God's word is frowned upon by those who seem unable to do word studies.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am criticizing your vaunted authority and questionable methodology.
    Why do you ask that question when I have given you sound reasons why your "translational campaigns" are not sound. You are playing the role of an ostrich with your head in the sand trying to ignore the obvious. You have not answered my questions time and time again. I assume the questions are too uncomfortable for you to address, but it's not honest on your part Van.

#24 Rippon, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I claim absolutely no expertise or credentials, so the fount of disinformation says he questions my "vaunted authority." You have got to love them, folks.

Rippon pretends Luke did not use "ana" and therefore ignores its meaning i.e. "among us" was left out of the translation.

Since Rippon seems unable to actually do word studies, all he posts are bash Van hate speech posts, and thus far no one has enforced Rule 6.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can say that again.
    Where are you at now? Are you dealing with Luke 10:1 or Acts 1:24? You need context Van.

And when you maintain that "among us" was left out of the translation --what translation? By that do you mean every translation?

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More waving arms and running about, more failure to address the meaning of "ana" in our word, and more instruction on how to do a word study from someone who seems not to even know how to do a word study.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You still have not replied to my post above. You have no place to hide Van.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet you are engaged in rewriting Scripture with your shoddy "translations" which are neither biblical or scholarly! Take a good look in the mirror Van.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just more of the same off topic "Van bashing" devoid of on topic content.

Indicated to us captures the full meaning of our word, G322, Anadeiknymi.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you start a given thread you can't abide that somone will oppose your particular Van-view. Most people who have a certain view will try to defend it by interecting with those that differ. But you are not like most people. You want your way to be seen as the only superior, full message of God method. The efforts of translators who have used decretal language is something you detest with every fiber of your anti-Calvinistic body. But you cannot bear the thought of actually engaging ideas --especially if they are in opposition to your own. That's shameful Van.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did God inspire Luke to use "Ana" which means in our midst or among us? Is this a Van view, or does "Ana" appear in God's message?

Then the usual off topic Van bashing. You have got to love them, folks.

"Indicated to us" presents the full message of God.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to take to heart my prior post.

Your constant recital of "presents the full message of God" is sickening. Your amateurish attempts are in stark contrast with the renderings of translators who actually have competence in that field of noble endeavor

14. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your claimed accurate rendering "indicated to us" includes "to us" which has a different meaning that the definition that you gave for "ana" [among us].

Perhaps you jump to an unproven conclusion by seeming to assert that the meaning of a whole word that includes a prefix has to include the meaning of that prefix in its own definition.

For example, the KJV used the Latin-based word "replenish" (Gen. 1:28) with the meaning "to fill", not with the meaning "to refill."

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't tell you, Logos, how much I appreciate your on topic post.

There is not much difference to show something in our midst, or among us and to us.

I thought indicated among us was the long way around the barn to convey disclosure.

One has to ask why God would use the compound word, if the full message was simply "show?" Do you have a usage where the word does not convey the idea of disclosure to an audience?

Yes, sometimes a prefix loses its meaning, i.e. inflammable and flammable, but in the absence of support for non-inclusion, we should stick with what literally makes sense.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This Greek compound word ( G322, Anadeiknymi) has the root meaning to show within a group, and could be translated as “make known to us” or “identify to us.”

The word appears in two verses, Luke 10:1 and Acts 1:24.

Lets look at these two verses, as rendered by the NASB:

Luke 10:1, Now after this the Lord appointed seventy others, and sent them in pairs ahead of Him to every city and place where He Himself was going to come.

Acts 1:24, And they prayed and said, “You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, show which one of these two You have chosen

Note that these renderings miss the idea of identification or display within a group. Here is how the verses could be understood, based on study of the Greek word meaning:

Luke 10:1, Now after this the Lord indicated to us seventy others, and sent them in pairs ahead of Him to every city and place where He Himself was going to come.

Acts 1:24, And they prayed and said, “You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, indicate to us, which one of these two You have chosen

The significant change is the message was not Christ appointing agents - His knew the hearts of His followers, but to make known to the group who He had chosen.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At least you're not repeating the OP as much as you do in some other "word study" threads in which you have repeated the OP as many as five times.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This Greek compound word ( G322, Anadeiknymi) has the root meaning to show within a group, and could be translated as “make known to us” or “identify to us.”

The word appears in two verses, Luke 10:1 and Acts 1:24.

Lets look at these two verses, as rendered by the NASB:

Luke 10:1, Now after this the Lord appointed seventy others, and sent them in pairs ahead of Him to every city and place where He Himself was going to come.

Acts 1:24, And they prayed and said, “You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, show which one of these two You have chosen

Note that these renderings miss the idea of identification or display within a group. Here is how the verses could be understood, based on study of the Greek word meaning:

Luke 10:1, Now after this the Lord indicated to us seventy others, and sent them in pairs ahead of Him to every city and place where He Himself was going to come.

Acts 1:24, And they prayed and said, “You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, indicate to us, which one of these two You have chosen

The significant change is the message was not Christ appointing agents - His knew the hearts of His followers, but to make known to the group who He had chosen.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take that back. There you go again in post 38 repeating the OP AGAIN.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another off topic post, bashing Van and offering nothing concerning the topic. Harassment on display.