1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Word Study G4400, Procheirzo

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon's view seems to be that leaving out the full message of God is acceptable because others did it. I disagree.

Many translations translate our word (Procheirzo ) and leave out the meaning of "pro" i.e. beforehand. So to choose a translation that presents the full meaning of the word is superior.

Translating the word as chosen beforehand presents the full message of God.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scholarly Bible translators really need to hear from you Van. You could set them straight. Your humility is ... not detectable.

There are no translations that translate the way you insist is the only correct and superior way.
    Van has thus spoken. All Bible versions missing this vital nugget of truth need to heed what the Vanman has said. Van has condescended to share with us lowly peons his wisdom. We are soooo grateful.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it that all those scholars that publish that "pro" means beforehand and cheirzo means grasp or chose with the hand, need to be corrected by Rippon.

Did I say my view "is the only correct and superior way?" Or is Rippon yet again posting a fabrication to demean and disparage me, a form of hate speech?

Chosen transparently reflects cheirzo and beforehand transparently reflects "pro" whereas the traditional translations leave out that the choice was made beforehand.

#23 Van, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2014
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Typical skewing of things by Van. I had said no translation has your preferred rendering.
    Basically, yes --in this and in many other threads in which you have participated. Just above, in your previous post you said to "choose a translation that presents the full meaning of the word is superior."

You are especially blessed to have the wisdom to impart your enlighened approach to Bible translation teams that are presently in the dark.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And once more claims he has read my mind and knows what is in it, just like Jesus.

A related word, meaning chosen beforehand, is in fact rendered "chosen beforehand" at Acts 10:41.
    "So to choose a translation that presents the full meaning of the word is superior." That points to word for word translation philosophy versions like the NASB. But when doing word studies, the idea is choose a translation rendering as your understanding, that presents the full message of God. In this study, I chose "chosen beforehand" and remain convinced that rendering is superior to those that leave out God's inspired choice of "pro."

#25 Van, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2014
  6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are your words above, not mine. Your word choices as I have repeatedly said are not found in most translations the majority of times --if at all. And no translation can give the : "full meaning" of a given word from the source language. It's an impossible task. Bible versions are approximations. There is no exactness to them. And by submitting your particular word choices to a translation of your choice will not increase its exactitude. You think too highly of yourself Van.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently it is beyond Rippon's grasp that "procheirzo" includes "pro" which means "beforehand." But I think too highly of myself because I see "pro" as part of the compound word.

So a translation choice that not only includes cheirzo (grasp or hand or choose" but also includes "pro" (beforehand) is superior to one that leaves "pro" out of the translation.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please deal with what I have said and not your twisted inventions.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another repeat and yet another claim the point was not addressed. You have got to love them folks.

A translation choice that not only includes cheirzo (grasp or hand or choose" but also includes "pro" (beforehand) is superior to one that leaves "pro" out of the translation.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want you to address the above Van. Don't hide, don't avoid --deal with the above. Your particular choices are not "the full messages of God" --you need to get over yourself.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A translation choice that not only includes cheirzo (grasp or hand or choose" but also includes "pro" (beforehand) is superior to one that leaves "pro" out of the translation.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answer: nowhere. Your so-called superior rendering is supported on flimsy gossamer wings.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

As Adams reportedly said, "facts are stubborn things."

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you've said the same thing five times now. Do you believe it will be taken as gospel truth because of your mantra?
    As Rippon is telling Van: You confuse facts with fancy.

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So all of those versions had it translated wrongly then?

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but if I write "I was chosen beforehand" and you translate it, "I was chosen" you have left part of the text out.

Words have meanings and those meanings have merit.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above is from post #20. Take me up on the challenge.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another change the subject post, another violation of forum rules, and another effort to disparage word study.

G4400, Procheirzo, means chosen beforehand. To say it only means beforehand or only means chosen is to not translated the full message of God.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, a challenge --not a change. I issued the challenge to your philosophy in post #20 and repeated it. You don't want to deal with it. You don't want interaction or discussion at all.
    Only Van thinks he is able to translate the Bible according to "the full message of God." He has quite the ego. Every translation does not meet with Van's approval. Van's view reigns supreme...in his mind.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More hate speech, more insults, more fabrications, and nothing concerning the topic.

G4400, Procheizo, means chosen beforehand. Cheizo is used for hand, grasp, and choose. Pro is used for beforehand.

To leave out Pro is to not translate the full message of God.