1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Word Study, G5002, taktos

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have got to love them, folks. The topic is G5002, taktos, and Rippon seeks to justify choosing to translate it as "appointed" rather than set because other words, Hebrew words are also translated "appointed."

Do you think we could find where Kings "set" stuff? :)

Look up those same three verses in the NKJV, and voila, the King "set" stuff. So "set" is every bit as "royal" as appointed.

#21 Van, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
  2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry; I just saw this.

First, your comment about "context" was uncalled for, unnecessary--and incorrect.

Your example of context was erroneous in that you didn't actually discuss the context of the verse in question

The context of the particular word is that people came together on a particular day and particular time. Historically, when rulers set a day/time, they appointed a day/time; and the people were expected to be there at that set time; they were expected to meet that appointment.

In the context of the usage, my question was completely valid. Using "appointed" renders the same meaning as "set"; they're completely synonymous. If you wish to argue differently, your challenge is to show how the context, the message, is changed.

Frankly, I think you're straining at gnats, and allowing this one simple word to be a division between brothers in Christ.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Don, I am not the one who said the context changed, you are.

I discussed the context of our discussion, not the context of the verse. The context of the verse allows either word to be used, as demonstrated by the various translations using either word.

Since many translations use set, any argument from the context of scripture is bogus. My argument is based on our usage of the two English words, today, and we set days and dates for events.

Thus set is superior to appoint.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um...no. I asked if the use of one word over the other changes the context of the verse. If it doesn't, then discussing this is pointless.

Who cares about the context of the discussion? I thought this was a word study regarding the bible verse you posted.

Um...so what's the point of this discussion? Why are you so adamant about using "set" over "appointed"?

Disagree; because common usage today is to make and keep appointments.

Second, "bogus" is an awfully strong word. Seems to me that the correct translation of scripture *must* come from the context of scripture. The word can only be correctly understood within the context in which it is used. "Gay," for example, when read in early 1900's books, does not refer to sexual orientation. It must be understood within the context in which it is used.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Don, not to put too fine a point on it, you are still using context inaccurately.

Yes, I agree, you do not care about the context of our discussion.

And yes, your discussion is pointless, as you are finding fault with this word or that word, rather than addressing why "set" (the choice of the majority of translations) is not superior to "appointed."

We set a date for an appointment with a person, but we do not appoint a date for a set with a person.

One of the definitions of "set" is to fix or establish a date by agreement.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By all means, educate me, and please point out exactly how I'm using context incorrectly.

Not true.

I HAVE addressed that, sir. It's because, as you yourself admitted, they both mean the same thing.

Um...that was a misuse of the word "set."

Strange; isn't that basically one of the definitions of "appoint", too?

Consider, Van: whether we set a date, or have an appointed date, we know that something will occur at that set/appointed date.

The thing YOU haven't answered is my original question: WHY should anyone admit that "set" is "superior" when using "appointed" doesn't change the meaning of the passage in any way?

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We set dates and days, we make appointments with people. We even set dates for an appointment.

Set, the choice of a majority of translations, is superior to appoint because "set" best conveys the idea.

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Conveys the idea of what? That on a particular day, at a particular time, Herod put on his robes and started talking? So how does using "appointed" change that idea?

On a set day, Herod did something.

On an appointed day, Herod did something.

Which context is changed by changing those words?

If your ONLY argument is that "set" is superior to "appoint," well, you certainly know how to make mountains out of molehills.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Don, the context is not changed by the message, the message is changed by the context.

Yes, that is the message of this thread, set is superior to appointed as a translation choice for "G5002, taktos." I made that point in the OP.

Until we do a study of a word, we do not know whether our understanding of the verse or verses where our word appears will be altered.

This Greek adjective, taktos, has tasso (an arrangement by mutual consent) as its root. But this word (taktos) describes a prearranged and agreed upon event, or an event established by the proper circumstance. Thus to “set” sail on the rising tide aptly illustrates the full meaning of the word. In order to set sail a whole bunch of things need to happen in an ordered and arranged way, starting with the Captain giving the order, and then deck hands doing all manner of things.

This word appears only once in scripture, in Acts 12:21 and is usually translated as a “set" day or an "appointed" day.

Here is our verse:

Acts 12:21, On an appointed day Herod, having put on his royal apparel, took his seat on the rostrum and began delivering an address to them.

Since it is far more common to set a date or day, rather than appoint one, this verse would be better rendered as “On a set day Herod….

#29 Van, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't exactly make a point Van. You merely asserted as you do later in this post of yours that you think the word "set" is more commonly used these days than the words appoint, appointed, appoints, and appointment.

Oh yeah, set will preach much better than appointed. The whole meaning of the verse is "obliterated" with the use of appointed. The word set displays "the full God-intended meaning." Thanks to Van's word studies I have now seen the light. Other translators are surely inferior to his wise and judicious word choices.*

* An extra heaping tablespoon of sarcasm.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is any of the foregoing true? Nope. Did Rippon suggest I had made those statements? Yep.

Did I say set will "preach" better than appointed? Nope
    Did I say the whole meaning of the verse is "obliterated" with the use of appointed? Nope
    Did I say using "set" displays the full God intended meaning? Nope
    Has Rippon seen the light that he should tell the truth? Judge for yourself.
    Does offering a supposedly superior translation choice indicate the translators who made differing choices are inferior? Nope.

All these heaping tablespoons of "sarcasm" seem calculated to change the subject, disparage others, and belittle word study. You have got to love them, folks.

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, Van, you did make such suggestions by stating that "set" is superior.

Now the question still remains: if the context hasn't changed, why is this one word so important? Why is it that I get the full meaning of the verse with "appointed," but you indicate I'd get more out of the verse if I used "set"?

I'm trying to understand why this is so important to you.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Don, I have explained it several times. What did I say?

And Don, I did not suggest the use of appointed obliterated the message. For you to suggest I did is twaddle. Ditto for the other false charges.

We should seek to translate God's message as faithfully, accurately, transparently, and concordantly as possible. And I am suggesting you agree.

Why did I say set was superior to appoint? Because the majority of translations go with set? Nope.

Because in today's usage, we make appointments with people, and we set the day or date for those appointments? Yep.

So the use of set simplifies, clarifies, and communicates God's message. There is no need to go the long way around the barn.

Is this one translation choice a big deal? No. It is one of many examples where translations can be improved, simply by adopting the best choice found in other translations and in various lexicons which give differing shades of meanings.