1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Words no longer used in English

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by robycop3, May 5, 2005.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As Dr. Bob has started a topic on words whose meanings have radically changed, may we do the same thing with English words used in 1600(not necessarily from the AV or any other bible of the day) that are seldom-if-ever used today. The works of Shakespeare should be a good source.

My word is GONFALON. It's a flag that hangs from a crosspiece or frame & was commonly used in the tales of chivalry. The last-known use in literature that I know of is in this 1910 poem by Franklin P. Adams:

Those 3 men were a famous double-play combo of the time. Even though there were infields who made far more DPs, this Cub infield seemed to make'em when they did the most damage to the opponent, and in front of the biggest crowds at the biggest games. All three of'em are in the HOF.

YOUR turn!

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

OK.
    Let me say that I am not as well read as many others in this forum.
    That being said; I don't know of ANY words not used today 'cuz I don't use 'em!
    :confused: [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

3. FrankBetz

FrankBetz Guest

You just USED the very word, roby

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frank Betz: You just USED the very word, roby

Ah, but note that I said, "SELDOM-used"! I aint used it except in these posts since HS EngLit...and reading the above poem to a LL team...had to tell'em what a gonfalon is.

And I also said, "in LITERATURE". I doubt if these boards are gonna make anyone forget the works of Shakespeare.