1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Words of Christ vs Words of God

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, May 5, 2007.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    you "claim" the answer to the above for you is "no".

Please clarify --

Are you arguing that "breaking the commandment is KEEPING the commandments as defined by these texts??"

How do you see "breaking the commandments" as satisfying the instruction John gives ??

I Jn 2:3-4
    3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, let's decide on these questions together. Let's walk through this one step at a time. What can we agree upon?

1) All have sinned and fall short of keeping God's commandments. Both before regeneration and after. Agree or disagree?

If you disagree please elaborate as to why.

If you agree, then let's figure out together then what John must mean by "keeping God's commandments" if we know that everyone, saint or sinner, breaks God's commandments.

God Bless!

3. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh Bob....................:wavey:

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    oops! Sorry - this fell off my page-1 list.

Is this where we define what "keeping God's commandments" is??

Or are you inserting the idea into Romans 3 that "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" SHOULD be retranslated as "All have sinned and faile to keep God's commandments now matter how they are defined"??

Until you explain that - I will simply agree with the text of Romans 3 "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God"

We see him say it in 1John 2:2 and we see him mention them again in John 14 "IF you Love Me KEEP My commandments".

John loves to keep saying that -

You seem love to say "God's people keep breaking His commandments no matter what".

In Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1 Cor 14 -

37 [b]If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment.[/b]
    38 But if anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized.

In the non-stop rebellion model that you have -- do we ignore Paul in 1Cor 14 as well as Christ in John 14 and John in 1John 2?

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes. This is what I would like to understand. What does it mean to "keep" God's commandments?

Well, I am one of God's people and I know that I transgress the law (sin) everyday. Not intentionally, but I know I fall short of God's perfect commandments each and every day.

So back to what does it mean to "keep" God's commandments? This I would like to understand from you or anyone else who might understand.

I do not advocate a non-stop "rebellion". I do advocate a non-stop falling short of God's commandments.

Falling short is not something that I think I do. It is something I know I do. I do not break God's commandments out of intentional rebellion but I know for a fact that I do break God's commandments everyday in some way.

So back to the question....what does it mean to "keep" God's commandments? Can you explain?

God Bless! :thumbs:

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You say you KNOW that you BREAK God's commandments every day.

Then you ask what they ARE???

How can you KNOW that you are breaking them in that case???

Simple question for you -- Should Christians READ and OBEY these NT texts???

I Jn 2:3-4
    3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 Cor 14 -
    37 [b]If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment.[/b]
    38 But if anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized.

I Jn 5:2-3
    2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
    3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Rev 14:12
    12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Rev 22:14
    14[b] Blessed are they that do his commandments,[/b] that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

1 Corinthians 7:19
    Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but
    what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.

Rom 3
    31 Do we then
    nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

Matt 19:17 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

John 15:10-11 10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
    11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

John 14:15 (quoting from the 10 commandments) IF you love Me Keep My commandments

If not - WHICH texts should we ignore?

In Christ,

Bob

#27 BobRyan, Jun 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2007
  8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't know how you concluded that i asked "what they are".

Yes.

Now, is sin breaking God's commandments?

I sin daily. I fall short every day. Just a passing thought of lust causes God's commandment to be broken. Or a moment of selfishness.

So how do i apply these text to my Christian life?

Does the text allow for my fallen nature. Or does the text mean that no one shall eat from the tree of life since all fall short whether Christian or not?

Or, give me your analysis of the text and maybe I will learn something rather than having to answer your question after question. You have an opportunity to teach a brother something about these text, so tell me how you understand "keeping God's commandments" in light of knowing that you and I break them all the time, UNINTENTIONALLY of course. :thumbs:

God Bless!

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Steaver asks --

Steaver is now reminded that HE asked --

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1 John 3:4 Sin is breaking God's Law -- "sin is transgression of the Law" KJV

Romans 7 - God's Law DEFINES what sin is.

That is the easy part sir.

in Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Steaver said

Easy -- obey instead of rebelling against what God has said in His Word.

Is there anything confusing about what the authors have stated? WHERE is the confusion???

in Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Would you prefer that Christ had said
    "IF you Love Me continue to rebel against what I have said and pretend you don't understand that this is wrong".

"IF you Love Me say that you are in obedience while continuing to disregard My Word"

Would that work better?

How about this

"IF you Love Me -- claim forgiveness as you disregard My Word"??

"NOT everyone who SAYS Lord Lord will enter the Kingdom of heaven but he who DOES the Will of My Father... by their FRUITS you SHALL know them" Matt 7.

It is clear that false pretenses alone will not suffice for us -- we must genuinely follow "WALK as Christ WALKED".

John points out that there are MANY ways to falsely claim to KNOW Christ while NOT walking as Christ walked.

But think about it for a second -- IF you are doomed to non-stop transgression and LYING is also another part of God's Law that can't be fully obeyed then when John points out that they are liars who CLAIM to know Christ and yet do NOT walk as He walked -- well what's one more transgression??

My argument is not that one must walk a sinless path to be a Christian - my argument is that the Bible does NOT allow for a "Law of God does not concern me" approach to the Gospel. YET MANY claim to try to get into heaven while doing just that!!

in Christ,

Bob

#32 BobRyan, Jun 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2007
  13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I fully understand your argument. Your argument wants it both ways. On one hand your advocate the bible teaches us to "obey God's commandments or burn" (forever citing Matt 7:21). On the other hand you advocate the bible teaches us that "Christians do break God's commandments" yet will not burn.

Here is why your teachings are flawed. You want to take a passage of scripture and apply it to the born of God believer in Christ, Matt 7:21. Jesus makes it very clear in this passage that these people are not and never were born of God believers but only pretenders that He never knew spiritually. This passage has nothing to do with a born of God believer who happens to hold different biblical views, whether right views or wrong views, about just what commandments are to be obeyed and what commandments have been set aside or fulfilled for those in Christ.

Here you have listed three attitudes that you believe are held by many here on this board and by me. You believe that those who do not obey commandments such as Sabbath or unclean meats are not just simply born of God Christians mistaken or misguided but rather they are indeed living as one of the three you have listed here. If this analysis of your view is not true then what is the point in you citing Matt 7:21 in many of your arguments against Sabbath breaking or meat eating to those who you know to be true Christians that do not hold these attitudes?

You are forever pointing fellow brothers and sisters in Christ to Matt 7:21 as a support for your view that the Sabbath must be obeyed and that seperating meats must be obeyed and any other comandment that you feel must be obeyed.

You also believe that true born of God believers can find themselves at the judgment hearing Jesus quote Matt 7:21, even though you said that believers are not sinless and do transgress God's law.

That is a "both ways" presentation.

There are three attitudes you posted for me. I believe that you believe they are attitudes, either one or all three, that I must hold because I argue against your positions. I will tell you now that none of them would describe how I feel about God's commandments. Do you believe this? You once told me that I was not going to be saved because I am married to a divorced woman and that is adultery and unless I repent my salvation will be revoked. Do you remember this?

How are you doing? Christ walked in perfection. Or does it mean try to do your best to walk as Christ walked? I am affraid that you get yourself hung up on sound bites rather than taking in the full counsel of God's Word.

Here again you speak of walking as Christ walked, which is in perfect subjection to the Father and His commandments, but then you say it is ok to not be sinless.

I am a sinner saved by grace brother and so are you. You have yet to understand that the law you believe you are keeping is being transgressed each and every day by you just as it is by me. This does not make us "rebels", it makes us very needy of Christ and more grace.

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    On the contrary - YOU are doing a lot of dancing and squirming here.

I on the other hand brought up a topic about the Words of CHRIST vs the Word of GOD -- not "the Sabbath".

YOU redirected this into a referrendum on the Commandments of God - so I simply point out the strong affirming position we find in the NT for God's Commandments.

THEN YOU spin this into an argument of the form "yes but I don't like Christ's Seventh-day Sabbath so does that make me a bad person".

YOU are the one that is bringing this down to a focus on Christ's Seventh-day Memorial of HIS creative work as the CREATOR of mankind - not me..

I was just pointing to the strong "AFFIRMING" position of the NT writers when it comes to the COMMANDMENTS OF GOD - in response to your "please let me continue break the commandmnts with impunity" style of argument.

It is ONE thing to to say "Coveting is sin and I am trying not to covet but sometimes I DO"... It is ANOTHER thing to say "Images and Idols in worship are wrong according to the Ten Commandemnts but I Don't CARE - I like using them in worship ANYWAY... does that make me a bad person"?

The bottom line is that the direction you are taking this discussion does not say anything flattering about your goal.

In Christ,

Bob

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Matt 7 condemns the doctrine of those who say "it is ok to break God's Law -- go ahead and don't give it a second thought" in Matt 6 Christ makes the point that those who teach others to break God's Law are called LEAST in the kingdom of heaven.

But this does not say that those who are intent on OBEDIENCE to God - and yet stumble in some point are "going to hell for not being perfect" -- which is the false argument you keep trying to make against the Bible position of honoring God's Word and keeping God's Commandments.

"IF you Love Me KEEP My Commandments" was a PRE-cross AND A POST-CRoss statement from God to man!!

In Matt 7 Christ is talking to the TRUE believers in the ONE TRUE God - including his OWN disciples.

He said TO THEM - "NOT everyone who SAYS LORD LORD will enter the kingdom of heaven but he who DOES THE WILL of My Father".

Paul says the SAME thing in Romans 2 as HE writes to the CHRISTIAN Church "it is not the HEARERS of the Law that are just but the DOERS of the LAW WILL be JUSTIFIED" Romans 2:13.

Why fight this teaching of scripture in your endless pursuit of ways to condone breaking the commandments "intentionally".

He who breaks one - breaks them all -- James 2.

I have not made that argument - you did.

You claim this for your own case - but I do not claim that people in general see themselves as you do -- deliberately ignoring and breaking God's Commandments.

I think most people see themselves as trying to honor God's Commandments and at times failing.

My argument in oppostion to your posts is that the BIBLE shows very STRONG statements in support of God's Commandments and by CONTRAST your response to those texts is to QUESTION in the form of "truth -- what is truth" ... "Commandments what are commandments" .... "obey what is obey - what if I don't obey sometimes..."

in Christ,

Bob

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In a word... no I don't remember doing that at all. Do you happen to have an actual quote of ME???

In Christ,

Bob

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I already pointed out, this is why you are in error. Jesus obviously is speaking to His disciples but is not speaking ABOUT the born of God. You will forever be seen in error every time you point a Christian to Matt 7:21 as a source for defending your commandment keeping salvation. Like you said........"He who breaks one - breaks them all -- James 2."

Like i said.....you and i break them everyday.....UNINTENTIONALLY!!

Is this the case? I will let you know the next time I see you point a brother or sister to Matt 7:21 and Romans 2:13 when doctrinal issues arise again and you want to push for commandment keeping as a believer's security of salvation. I'm sure it will be soon. Hey guess what, you have already pointed me towards it in this last post!

My point is vindicated! Anyone who opposes your errors in interpretations of scripture is labeled as having an attitude like.... "please let me continue break the commandmnts with impunity" or ""IF you Love Me continue to rebel against what I have said and pretend you don't understand that this is wrong" or "IF you Love Me say that you are in obedience while continuing to disregard My Word" or "IF you Love Me -- claim forgiveness as you disregard My Word"??

But no you say..........."You claim this for your own case - but I do not claim that people in general see themselves as you do -- deliberately ignoring and breaking God's Commandments. I think most people see themselves as trying to honor God's Commandments and at times failing."

Your own post contradict your said views.

There it is again. Even though i made it a point to express that the commandment breaking I was speaking of in prior post is UNINTENTIONAL, I even put it in capitol letters, you come back with this statement telling me that i pursue ways to "intentionally" break commandments.

This shows everyone that my observation of your attitude towards those who oppose your errors is a correct analysis. It basically is resorting to false accusations in an attempt to belittle your opponant. This happens often times when one is stuck and cannot see a way out of the corner he has found himself backed into.

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe I am mistaken. I have no quotes, it was quite awhile ago. But just to be clear I will ask you a simple yes or no question.

I am married to a woman who was divorced and her x is still alive today. According to Jesus I have committed adultery by marrying her. Do I remain in adultery to this day, intentionally and knowingly breaking God's commandment?

Second question. Only if your answer is "yes", according to your views of God's Word, will my salvation be revoked if I do not repent?

God Bless!

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello.............:wavey:

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    hey - just out of curiosity -- does this sound familiar to you??

----------------------

For all of our differences most of us would agree that God the Son is in fact Jesus Christ and that God the Father - are together with God the Holy Spirit - the "God of the Bible".

The Bible does not present them as "three God's whose words conflict with each other". The Bible does not support the notion of "following the Word of the Holy Spirit but not the Word of God the Father".

It is easy to see that all such division and distinction is opposed to the Bible.

But what about in the case of Christ?

When Christ argues (pre-cross) that "the Father and I are ONE" and that "I do not speak on my own - my Words are the Father's Words" is He claiming that the words of scripture and the Words of Christ are in fact one seamless continuous whole - or can we contrast HIS words vs God's Words so that one replaces/contradicts/voids/abolishes/superceeds the other?

John 12
    47 ""If anyone hears My sayings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world.
    48 "" He who rejects Me and
    does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke
    is what will judge him at the last day.
    49 "" For I did not speak
    on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak
    50 ""I know that
    His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me.''

What say you?

In Christ,

Bob