1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

words of controversy

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by samuelhenry, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

First, the word is in the Bible [​IMG]
    Second, it means different things in slang besides "to urinate". It can also mean to become angered. If Australia, it means to become drunk.

I'm reminded of the movie Star Trek: First Contact. The lead character (who is from their past), Zephram Cochrane, says, "I gotta take a leak". Geordi, the engineer, replies, "Leek? I'm not detecting any leaks!". Cochrane retorts, "Don't you people from the 24rd century ever pee???"

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Honestly, imo, no.

It's intersting how people are more offended by the slang for "extrement" than they are by "gosh darnit".

Does anyone besides me remember when "The Bastard" was the name of a best selling novel? Now, it's considered highly offensive.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Bastard" is another Northern European/AngloSaxon word. "Bast" = barn and "'ard" is a root for son/offspring.

Implication of a child born out of the marriage relationship.

And another SANCTIFIED cuss word. It's in the AV1611. Go out on the street and start calling someone a . .

Amazed at how language changes and what is "genteel" or "cultural".

(BTW, I don't piss; I go to the head. Was in the Navy. I do get pissed off on occasion . . and don't think I have ever typed that phrase before :eek: Please forgive my language if you find it offensive)

4. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Dr. Bob,

Were you like . . . convicted by the Holy Spirit while you were typing it? :D

5. deadmen.org

deadmen.org New Member

"Such language"-Who deemed it as "such language"?, is the question to ask. Also, no one's advocated the use of such language, just simply discussed how it became labeled profane or offensive. Matthew 12. Let's go back to verse 32 for some more context:

32 "Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.
    33 "Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit.
    34"Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.35 "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.36 "But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. 37"For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

This is in the context of good hearts producing good words (or useful as opposed to idle). If we take the interpretation proposed, then this applied to everything. We must all be serious at all times. There should never be any deviation from seriousness, theology, etc. I think 'idle' means vain in the context of talking about God and his character (v.32). I don't know. I'm probably, however, just a flaming idiot looking for a legitimate excuse to rebelliously cuss! jk

6. deadmen.org

deadmen.org New Member

Who pronounced them objectional(apart from taking God's name in vain)?

Damn=condemn
    F***=fornicate, unlawful carnal knowledge
    A**=donkey; mascot for the Democratic Party;euphamism for being stubborn like a Jack A**
    B***=female dog. Must have become bad when humans were referred to as a female dog's offspring.

7. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

There is a big difference. If you say "Gosh-darn" you will only go to heck. And besides Gosh don't mind. :D