1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Work out your salvation with fear & trembling

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Feb 25, 2008.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

What does this verse mean?
    Somebody told me this means that some will not know if they really make it to heaven or not until they get there. :tear:

Phl 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The way I understand the verse is this: because there's a "wherefore", we need to go back to see what it's referring to:

6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
    7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
    8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
    9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
    10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
    11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Jesus did all of this stuff. BECAUSE of this stuff - that we are saved because of Christ's work, we are to continue to obey and work OUT our salvation. God works IN us to save us and we will show the fruits of that work in us by being obedient to God. I know that I can minister to others humbly knowing just what God did for me - in "fear and trembling" - not fear as in being afraid that God will zap me or anything like that but in the fear of the Lord knowing who He is and what He's done for me and that I'd obey no matter what because of Him.

So, God works IN us for salvation and we work OUT the salvation to be the light in our lives. I hope that makes sense.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I also read v. 13 which begins with the crucial conjunction "for," meaning that it is inferential.

So this verse supports the view that it is God who empowers the believer in the process of sanctification.

Without God working in the believer's life, the believer cannot work out his salvation in sanctification.

"12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose." (TNIV, emphasis mine)

You just cannot read v.12 without reading v.13, for both must be read together to get what Paul is saying.

4. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Several Spanish translations of the Greek text have "ocupaos en vuestra salvación" = "You-must-busy-you in your salvation."

Because we believe that Jesus Christ is Lord, we act accordingly. Our salvation has been secured by faith, but the fait that secured salvation will drive us to do as He taught.

5. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Nice try, all who have answered. You have put a spin on this verse that would put a politcian to shame but none of you said much about the fear and trembling part. I believe with all my heart that good works is something we must do if we expect to pass through the portals of heaven. We can't do anything to earn our salvation, it is free for the asking, but we must do good works to maintain it. Every time I read Matthew 25 I experience some of that fear and trembling. Also, Paul shows some concern for the precarious nature of his own salvation. 1 Corinthians 9:25-27. I would like to debate this but I'm really busy this week, so I will tune in occasionally and read your posts as you heave volleys my way and further obscure the plain language of scripture.

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True enough.

But they need not wait to find out.

in Matt 7 many are "surprised at the end to discover" that they are not saved.

In Rom 8:16 we see that there "is a solution" -- a way to know that you ARE saved before that final day.

In the case of the lottery "finances are pretty good for those who win the power-ball lottery". The "trick" is being the winner NOT explaining why it is so good to win. No one doubts that "winning is good" -- no one doubts that "being saved is good" the REAL issue is "are you saved"!!

As for "Fear and Trembling" -- Paul said "I buffet my body and make it my slave LEST after preaching the Gospel to others I MYSELF should be disqualified" 1Cor 9 end of chapter.

in Christ,

Bob

7. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

8. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

What Zenas, Bob, and Matt said...oh yeah, and what Cranmer said too.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I'm trying to grow my pec's by bench pressing...I'm definately working out with fear and trembling of dropping the weight on myself. The same principal applies to "working out" our salvation. We don't want to drop the weight of the precious Gift we've been given.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

1 John concluded he has written so that one can know that he is saved. Written what? a list of rules and guide lines. If one conforms to the rules then one can know that one is saved.

11. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Not looking for a debate, but I will give my "spin" for you to take a shot at if you want. Oh, and the rest of the gang too. By the way, who is Cranmer and what is homily. Isn't it grits or something? :smilewinkgrin:

"Work our your salvation with fear and trembling."

Paul just got done explaining it was the example Christ set for us: he " made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross".

Jesus dreaded it(take this cup...). Paul was presently experiencing it in jail. He was just telling us what to expect when we give our lives to a God "which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure."

Later Paul contrasts Timothy, who was a faithful minister with him, with those who
    "seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's."

He also praises "Epaphroditus, my brother, and companion in labour, and fellowsoldier" "for the work of Christ he was nigh unto death, not regarding his life, to supply your lack of service toward me."

These were people "enjoying" their salvation in a much different environment than you and me. We tend to have so little to fear and tremble over that we make up problems. I am thankful for this country, but it is hard to keep our focus on the truth that this life is not about THIS life.

May we all be like Paul who said he had LEARNED "how to be abased, and how to abound: every where and in all things." He was "instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need."

By the way Zena, I agree that those without works as a part of "their" salvation are the ones who need to be afraid of their eternal destiny. However, it isn't what Paul is getting at here.

God bless. :godisgood:

12. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thomas Cranmer; his Homilies (not all by him, strictly speaking, but commonly attributed to him) were a series of sermons designed to 'flesh out' Anglican Reformation theology. He also was responsible for the first two post-Reformation Anglican Prayer Books.