1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

World Baseball Classic

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Debby in Philly, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The WBC is back, starting March 5 in Tokyo. The final game will be March 23 at Dodger Stadium in LA.

Now that's what I call March Madness! :thumbsup:

Can the Netherlands do better this time?
    Can the USA beat Japan?

2. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I followed this last time - it is like the Baseball World Cup (despite the fact that there is a tournament by that name). Despite some 'home cooking' the US did not make it to the final round in 2005. Most of the national teams now have MLB players.

What strikes me is that most of the national teams play skills baseball instead of power and speed. They seem to hit a lot of inside the park home runs.

South Korea, Japan, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic made it to the final four last time.

I just don't know if there is enough interest in the international competition. Or maybe the US is jut not good enough?

4. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the response.

Who participates in the Baseball World Cup? Is it on an MLB level?
    Is there any interest in Europe for the WBC?
    If you go to the official website, it is apparent that Japan is getting ready.
    There has been no mention of it stateside on news programs, just Spring training talk. They're going to have to mention it when all of those MLB guys just up and leave to go play!

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

The Baseball World Cup seems to be at a much lower level - MLB will not let their players participate, so despite the name the WBC is a World Cup in a much truer sense.

I am sure it is news in some parts of Europe - but nothing here at all

6. Dr. Timo

Dr. Timo New Member

Each MLB team has the right to work with their players in deciding if they can participate in the WBC. Two of the Cleveland Indians will be playing for team USA our star center fielder Grady Sizemore and our new third baseman from the Cubs Mark Derossa. Some players chose not to participate and others the Clubs don't let them for contract reasons.:thumbs:

7. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, there are a good number of the "World Champion" (sounds a bit silly in this context) Phillies who will be participating, but only two for USA - Jimmy Rollins and Shane Victorino. The others are playing for their home country, including the Netherlands and Italy.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

True - my comments were about a separate tournament - the Baseball World Cup, which is a ver minor tournament.

The WBC, though not called by the name, is more in the genre of world cups in other sports.

9. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Looking forward to it.

Round one venues are Tokyo, Mexico City, Toronto and San Juan.

The two round two venues are San Diego and here in Miami. So I may end up going to a game if I can.

The championship venue is in LA.

Should be fun to watch.

10. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're off and running - Japan beat China in round one.

Team USA is playing the Phillies today in exhibition - I don't know who to root for!:confused:

11. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The USA of course. Now, if it was during the season....

I saw part of the Japan-China game. Interesting. Looks like China will win their 2nd game though.

Have you seen the commercials where the players say where they used to play? See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffQVMMNjxQU Pretty cool since my kids' high school is mentioned.

12. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

The Netherlands beat the D.R. not only once but twice! Some are calling this a bigger upset than the Miracle on Ice. If they were to somehow win the whole tournament, I think it would the greatest upset in sports history.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't think it rises to the level of the Miracle. That said, I think that's been the biggest international team sport upset in the last decade or two.

Nothing will top the Miracle...ever. A bunch of college kids beating professionals can't be beat. And the historical setting is also key. Carter's America was so beaten down, we'd have come in third in a race with a pregnant lady.

14. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I agree it will never arise to the level of our Miracle. But if the Netherlands were to win this thing, then it would certainly be that nation's Miracle on Ice equivalent.

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm ignorant here. How popular is baseball among the Dutch?

16. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I'd say it's definitely on the radar now! Actually, I heard a guy on the radio say that baseball is probably the 6th or 7th most popular sport over there - probably about like hockey here in the U.S.

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Gotcha...though hockey isn't that low here. It's definitely higher than soccer and women's pro basketball (Shhhh...don't tell their fans that) and in most polls comes in higher than the NBA, and that's even factoring in the season cancellation.

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_01_27.pdf

Though, being in Columbus, home of the Blue Jackets, I can understand why you'd say hockey isn't popular. Get rid of the bee, and hockey's popularity would double in C-Bus :laugh:

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Tom, I wouldn't worry about offending any women's pro basketball fans, because you're not going to see those fans, mostly women who enjoy wearing Birkenstocks and driving Subarus, joining the Baptistboard any time soon.

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I know no WNBA fans here in Knoxville, the capital of Women's Basketball in America. That says something

20. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Have you noticed that Columbus is on its way to its first playoff birth? Hockey is quickly becoming popular around here. BTW, how are the Predators doing? ;)