1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WORLD CHAMPIONS...my foot ! ! !

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Carolyn Dee, Feb 17, 2005.

1. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anything that would produce an inordinate profit for the team owner. Always follow the money trail. If there isn't a ton to be made, a sports team will never grow out of its immediate market.

That's too bad. I was hoping for curling to make it big on the international stage. :cool:

What happened to the Claymores, C4K? Did they tire of saying, "No. the other football."? The NFL Europe is just another development league for American football.

I still think we'll see a sustained growth in football when America's greatest export of greed continues to influence the minds of young athletes. Remember when college basketball players used to stay in school to get a semblance of an education?

Link to NFL Europe

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

My view of the NFLEL is that is simply a minor league set, basically in Germany, for the entertainment of Americans living abroad.

I contend that baseball and American football will never be world sports. The interest simply is not there outside of a few small pockets. Unless there are huge changes these two sports will always be American sports.

Soccer is played literally all over the world, from city centre on the world's biggest cities, to the most rural villages in the most rugged regions. There will always be a world fan base for soccer.

There are a very small number of sports where a true world champion can be declared, IMHO.

3. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

PATSFAN Oh, I'm enthusiastic about the Pats and especially the Red Sox!! Hey, the Bruins are undefeated, ha ha ha ha. I hope Ted Bruschi will be alright. Because he has two boys, I think he should retire. [​IMG]

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

C4K, I think the world basketball championships are played every 4 years.

Carolyn, did you see the smack that's going on between the Sox and Yanks? I'm not a Sox fan, but I don't like A-Rod (the Anti-Babe) at all, so I always like to see the Sox lay the smack down on him. Remember this gem from 2004? "We don't hit anybody who hits .225." Ha!

It's also funny how the Yankees are sticking up for Giambi the Juicer, but nobody has A-Rod's back, not even Jeter. Gotta love the smack going on between the Sox and the Yanks. [​IMG]

Now to return you to your previously unhijacked thread. [​IMG]

5. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

CCROBINSON "Smack?" Uh, I'm out of the slang loop on that one! Whazzut mean?? Smack as in trash talking? Hey, the exhibition open is going to between Schilling and Randy Johnson. That'll be interesting! Hey, what was Steinbrenner's reaction when the RS took four straight from his precious Yonkees (sic)? He musta been livid. [​IMG] Yee haaa! I wonder if it'll be dangerous for me if I wear my Red Sox World Series shirt in New York this spring......

6. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You could walk the streets of NY without a shirt and 99% of NYers wouldn't even notice. [​IMG] I'm sure Steinbrenner had but one thought concerning Johnson: how much will it cost to get him to wear pinstripes.

Meantime Carolyn Dee, enjoy the Bosox short stint as the WORLD Champs. Soon we'll hear "Play Ball" from the house that Ruth built and Steinbrenner renovated.

7. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

How awful for Tedy, huh? I think he'll have to retire. It would probably be too dangerous to continue playing such a physically demanding sport as football after having had a stroke. He's been to four superbowls and has three rings. He should have no regrets.

8. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

What superbowl has he been to other than the Partriots?

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Carolyn, yes, you got it. Smack = trash talking.

10. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

World Champions-not YOUR foot, but Curt Schillings. Also, if you were to walk down NY streets naked, over 50% of the people wouldn't even notice (Saw this somewhere on a reality poll).

11. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Sorry for the late reply (I've been away at school). Tedy Bruschi has played in four superbowls for the Patriots: 31, 36, 38 and 39.

12. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

alright, didnt realize they were in the SB 31

13. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

In SB XXXI the Pats lost to the Packers by two touchdowns. That was the one and only superbowl I've attended.

14. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

you went to a super bowl? thats so cool!!! but i bet you wernt sayin that wen your team was down by two tds

15. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

It was an experience I'll never forget! Before the Patriots built the new stadium it was easier for season ticket holders to get SB tickets. These days the people with the expensive seats get first dibs on the SB tickets. The SB 31 team was a young team. Brushchi, Law and Vinatieri were rookies, I think. Bledsoe played well, as did the defense at first. Desmond Howard returned a punt for a touchdown for the Packers and it broke open the game. Some think Parcells decision to make Troy Brown inactive for that game was a factor and that his special teams play may have stopped Howard. Who knows? It was definitely cool!

16. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

ya i would say so. what year was that? was it 97? where was Brady at that time?

17. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Yes, 1997. Brady was a freshman or a sophomore in college at Michigan at the time. Have you gotten to see some professional soccer or rugby matches living in Ireland, JAB?

18. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

ive never been to any games like that. except i used to go see my local club play rugby on saturdays that i didnt have games. but thats not proffesional. i plan on going to Birmingham to see Villa play soccer, and would love to see an Ireland v Wales game at Lansdowne Road in Dublin in rugby. those are my favourite teams. then another one would be to watch an Alabama v Tennessee game at Neyland!

19. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

There's nothing better than watching your favorite teams in competitive games! JAB, what did you mean when you said "Alabama v Tennessee at Neyland?" Where's Neyland? (I'm assuming you're talking about football here because I know you're a pretty serious football fan).

20. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

PatsFan,

You went to a Super Bowl? Thats cool! I had the opportunity to see a soccer game in Argentina, it was pretty exciting since it was a derby match (two teams from the same city) or classico as we say it in Spanish.

I have never been to a pro football game, but considering they play on Sundays most of the time it is kind of hard for me to justifying going. I did go to the Michigan/Minnesota game last season at the Big House in Ann Arbor. That was a great experince, to be in the largest statium in the US and watch the best college team (Michigan) in the best conferance (Big Ten) play!