1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

World Cup Groups

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Vasco, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Vasco

Vasco New Member

The party begins June 9!!

GROUP A
    Germany
    Costa Rica
    Poland
    Ecuador

GROUP B
    England
    Paraguay
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Sweden

GROUP C
    Argentina
    Ivory Coast
    Serbia & Montenegro
    Holland

GROUP D
    Mexico
    Iran
    Angola
    Portugal

GROUP E
    Italy
    Ghana
    USA
    Czech Republic

GROUP F
    Brazil
    Croatia
    Australia
    Japan

GROUP G
    France
    Switzerland
    South Korea
    Togo

GROUP H
    Spain
    Ukraine
    Tunisia
    Saudi Arabia

Group B is no party, H seems to be a cake walk for Spain, Brasil need to be tough for Croatia, and Japan is coached by legend Zico. Shuld be exciting, but by the end of it all, I hope to be cheering HEXACAMPEAO

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

USA should have been a top seed.

3. Vasco

Vasco New Member

C4K: No, based on the horrible performance in 98, which was one of the factors they used, there was no way USA could have gotten it. USA does well in it's group. It used to be called CONCACAF but I think they changed the name. Anywyas, they do well in that group, but there is not much competition. Mexico, Costa Rica are tough, but after those three the level drops by alot. It is not like Europe, or South America, where any team can make it, and come WC time, a team that should have made it is sitting home. What I mean is, Trinidad made it form the US group, but there are better teams in Europe who could not make it out because of the competition (Greece, Russia, etc). I will say however, the USA is the MOST IMPROVED (read the qualifier, most improved) team in the last 20 years. USA is not yet ready for the "big stage", however if they continue to develop the players and let them play in Europes leagues(the MLS is not the way to go) USA could be doing very well in future world cups

4. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

I will be a silent fan the night Ghana plays USA. I might get strung up if I cheer out loud.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I disagree, USA has been ranked in the FIFA top ten bascially since WC '02. At the moment they are ranked eighth, just above England. England recently lost a friendly to Northern Ireland. Since FIFA rank the teams and sponsor the World Cup the top eight teams at the time of the groupings should simply be the top seeds. Considering '98 in the decision is foolish - no decision should be hased on how a team performed seven years ago.

But for a German hand ball in the goal that was allowed the US could have been in the quarter finals in '02. Several American players are doing well in Europe at the moment.

Sadly, the US got a rotten draw. I still think they may surprise many next year.

Since my adopted Ireland did not qualify I can cheer for the US next year without fear. Many of my Irish friends are doing the same [​IMG] .

6. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Maybe a wee bit of the Irish "luck" will shine upon the the USA side. What do you say boys?

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I hope its not any Irish football luck [​IMG] . They really did poorly in the qualifiers.

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I agree with Roger. The US has done considerbly well in recent years. They did unexepectedly well in the last WC and have a bunch of young talent.

Anyhow... Viva Argentina! Only Holland should prove a tough challenge for them in group C.

I hope Brazil struggles against Croatia Vasco- you certainly understand why I think that. ;)

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the strong teams are well evenly distributed this time.

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I wonder if there will be a surprise team that stands out this year. Last time besides the USA doing better than expected, I think it was Senegal that played pretty well.

11. Vasco

Vasco New Member

C4K: i understand the us has done very well as of late, but fifa used previous world cup performance to determine the rankings, it seems the use the same program as college football, no one understands why they do it the way they do!!

4glory: i think croatia is an excellent team, in fact in 98 i picked suker to be the leading goal scorer. they will give brasil trouble, and japan beat brasil in the 96 olympics in a game i saw in person, and that 96 squad had alot of brasil top players, the japan coach is former brasil great zico, so they could surprise.. and dont discount group c.. keep in mind, the african teams that qualified got passed nigeria and cameroon, solid teams, so ivory coasy must be doing something right, and serbia was solid in euro qualifiers.. i think argentina drew a very tough group..

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Agreed - what I question is the equity of their choices. By virtue of their current ranking and recent quality of play the US deserved a top spot. Of course, like everything else, it comes down to politics.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone who believes that the USA will not be horrendously discrimated against in EVERY decision, every draw, every aspect of such a tournament, I have a bridge in Brooklyn . .

They were shunned from a top seed, then put in the second hardest division. All "arbitrary" or "luck of the draw". No way. Planned.

Kinda like the "stick it to you" attitude of the UN, the Olympics, and every other place the USA tries to just be "one of the guys".

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Which is why it is no wonder that when the US mangages victory despite the odds against them, there is vehement hatred at the "Yankee Imperialists".

15. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After I checked again, Group C, E may have fierce competition. It will good if we see more fans in USA