1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

World Cup Matches

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Timsings, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The country with the best players do not always field the best team. In 2006 I felt that man for man no one could touch Brazil and I still believe that. However, Brazil never played as a team and had a very bad world cup. Many had expected them to roar through everyone that year.

Great players does not equal a great team if there is no teamwork.

2. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

At least in this game the first touches were poor for the most part, the passes were not crisp nor accurate. If you can catch a replay notice how smooth and accurate the Englanders passes were as compared to slightly off target and bouncing balls the Americans played.

The Brits switched the field way more often and much more accuratley. When the US could move into the opposing third they typically wasted the opportunity by playing a ball out of bounds or making a poor pass.

I have seen the Americans play much better so I am not sure if it was apparent because of the contrast of England, due to pressure from England (I don't think this one fits) or just nerves from being on the big stage and trying to be perfect(most likely)

#22 thegospelgeek, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
  3. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Not only that, but the best team will not always win. Soccer is a bit of an odd bird in that repect. With tenacity and a bit of luck (Green's misplay) a team can pull out a draw or even a victory. I coached a HS game where we were outshout30 something to six but pulled out a 1 nill victory due to some great goalkeeping and some great play from our sweeper.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Educate me. What's a sweeper?

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I have joked about soccer occasionally, much in the way I refer to the NBA as alleged basketball (it's getting better, btw). However, I was a fan of the old NASL, MISL, and am a World Cup fan every four years. I long for American domination. I watched every second of the Confed Cup and still ache that we had that one in the bag. I agree that people should not mock soccer fans. If you want to say soccer is dumb, boring, whatever, that's your right. I disagree. But go ahead and make those claims. Just have your gun loaded. That's the problem. I'm afraid those who mock soccer wouldn't know a sweeper from a Swifter :)

However, I see a lot from the other side. Some soccer devotees seem to think that their sport is the only true one and if you like anything else, or dare not worship their game, you're a neanderthal. I can't go there either. People are free to like what they like and dislike what they don't like. For instance, I personally think one of the top three sporting events in the world is golf's Ryder Cup. However, if you disagree, that doesn't mean you're wrong, nor am I necessarily right. It's just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. And that's where we miss the mark.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is going on with those darn horns blowing continuously......that's very distracting!:BangHead:

7. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't hear the term Sweeper used much anymore. It was fairly common when I was playing college soccer back in the early 1970's. The sweeper would be comparable to the free safety in American football. It is the position of a deep back or defensive player, the last line of the defense except for the goalkeeper.

Tim Reynolds

#27 Timsings, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2010
  8. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are some comments in response to several posts:

1. I think many Americans' low opinion of soccer is due to unfamiliarity with the game. They do not appreciate the nuances of good play when lots of scoring is not involved. They can do it in baseball when the pitchers overpower the hitters, and they can learn to do it in soccer. I think that the situation will improve as more and more children grow up playing soccer.

2. I heard the same things about England and the US before their game. England had better individual players, but the US played better as a team. I think they showed that in the game.

3. The horns, or vuvuzelas, are a (insert your own expletive here) nuisance. The commentators have talked about people watching the games with the sound turned down on their TV's. There has been discussion about banning them (which won't happen). I saw an article that said that the BBC is considering filtering out the crowd noise from their broadcasts of the games in order to eliminate the sound of the horns. I have to wonder how you can watch the game if you're constantly blowing a horn.

4. I am listening to the New Zealand - Slovakia game while I type this. I noticed that the Slovakian national anthem is in a minor key. I wonder whether this is the case with any other national anthems, and, if so, how many.

Tim Reynolds

9. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Free Safety is what I would use also as a good descripter.

Yea, you won't see a sweeper in the World Cup, thats for sure. I tried my best to get the HS coach to addopt a flat 4 back line but he liked the deep back better.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been immensely enjoying this World Cup. I have watched the games when I can and been listening when away from home on my SiriusXM app on my iPhone.

I would have never believed it but I am becoming a soccer fan. :)

11. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that's it. Soccer is just boring. There's no checking, or hitting, or any kind of discernable strategy involved. It's like watching Olympic hockey.

The only part of soccer that doesn't put most Americans to sleep is the riots.

Yeah, here in the United States, that's called "just another night watching baseball on TBS".

12. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Good to hear. If you have never played, find a group of people who can teach you the ropes and give it a try. I've never had so much fun in a sport.

13. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Not sure what you are watching but if there is no strategy it's not soccer. Could be that there is strategy and you don't see it.

I know I had to watch several Hockey games before I could pick up the strategy. Till then it was just a bunch of guys slapping a puck.

14. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes! Strategy, teamwork and almost nonstop action. It surely is more interesting than baseball, which I used to love. Baseball is so slow. Pitches nodding their heads up and down. Players standing around scratching themselves and spitting tobacco.

Someone used a stop watch and clicked it when there was actually someing going on in a baseball game. I believe at the end of 9 innings something just over 9 minutes of action had taken place. Boring! I never watch baseball now. Just to much inaction.

I do like college football. I wonder how much actual action takes place in a American football game. A lot of time is used in the huddle and with TV timeouts these days.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm afraid I am way too out of shape and too rickety in the knees for running around the pitch. I think I'll settle for playing Pro Evolution Soccer 2010(that I just ordered) on my Wii. :)

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I hated soccer and had some of the criticisms expressed here until I learned about. I am still learning and now love the strategy which changes constantly. It is a Beautiful Game since I took the time to study it.

It was kind of like tea when I moved here. It is an acquired taste. I still enjoy US sports a bit, but soccer is now my second favourite spectator sport after rugby.

Jus waiting for Brasil to cut loose on North Korea.

17. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

LOL

I've never found a video soccer game I like, but it may be fun on the wii. I'll have to check it out.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not an impressive performance by Brazil.

Nearing the completion of the first round of group play I would say that Germany has shown up best so far.

19. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

At a lower level, like HS and most college, a flat defense won't work because of missed assignments. You simply don't have the time to teach it in the practice time available, and the skill and thinking level is not there for it.

It works in WC and professional leagues because you have the cream of the crop in terms of skill, you have players who understand the game, and you have time to work on it.

With a sweeper who doesn't mark, you have a safety net.

20. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Exactly. I think we had the talent to pull it off though. Ended up losing to the eventual State Champions in the sweet 16. Would a flat back line have helped us? Probably not, they were much more talented. Several of their players went on to D1 colleges, none of ours.