1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

World Cup Matches

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Timsings, Jun 12, 2010.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    GO USA! BEAT GHANA!!!!

[​IMG]

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

Very surprised to see such a long thread about this, I didn't think ''soccer'' got any attention on this forum!

I'm waiting for the USA v Ghana match to start and in two minds about who I want to win. I wish it was us playing Ghana...

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am very, very proud of the United States National Team's effort in the 2010 World Cup. There's 4 years to get ready for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and to improve a lot on defense.

Now on to root for FC Dallas tonight in their MLS game on Fox Sports Southwest. :)

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I have mixed feelings. I feel proud of the team, but wonder if the defensive effort at times was there. It was a nice effort to win the group, and you have to tip your hat to Ghana (I will now root against them) :tongue3:

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

We are just not quite there yet talent wise, but what a great effort. Immensely proud.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    These other countries may not have near the population of the United States but their elite athletes play soccer. Ours usually play basketball or American football. Can you imagine if our wide receivers and defensive backs went into soccer?

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Football is at least fourth the US priority list of sports. We have baseball, American football, and basketball ahead of it.

I would love to see that the US could do if we ever got excited about football on the world stage.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I would argue it's even lower than that.

But still, we should be able to field a better crop than what we do. But, the best athletes don't play soccer professionally in America. That said, I still think we're a Cup or two away from having our best shot. The kids who got turned on to soccer after our performance in the '94 Cup will be eligible for the next one and seasoned International vets in 2018 and 2022. Maybe just in time for the next World Cup on American soil :thumbs:

12. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well soccer aka football around the world, is very popular. Especially in the European countries.

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

As far as watching, it is probably lower than fourth. Looking at televised sports, soccer is virtually never on network TV. It's usually not even on the main cable sports stations, it is? It's usually on a regional station or ESPN2 or 3.

As far as playing, it is probably the top sport among kids, particularly under HS due to the ease of it (little equipment, no gym needed, etc.) It's cheap, fun, and popular, and that is what has made it popular around the world. I don't think that will ever translate to widespread watching because the teaching of the game at lower levels is so abysmal.

As for the WC, it seems to me that there have been an unusually high number of atrocious calls for this level of officiating. There were several against the US (two disallowed goals, Dempsey getting elbowed viciously in the box). There were at least one yesterday in the Ger/Eng match,and one in Arg/Mex. There have been some others along the way. Each of these could have had significant impact on the game.

Take the US for instance. If they beat Slovenia (as they did before the disallowed goal), the Algeria match changes, particularly in terms of energy expended because they only need a tie to advance. Or if the Algeria goal isn't disallowed, the energy expended changes because they do not have to score to advance and they are in different physical shape for the Ghana game.

In the Eng/Ger match, if England ties the game (as they did), it is a different second half, perhaps. Or if Argentina's first goal is disallowed (as it should have been) that games changes.

I am not a fan of instant replay at all, but man oh man ... this has been bad. These calls probably happened through history, and that's life ... but it has been bad.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I hope Bradley stays on as coach. The defense is typically much stonger than shown in the cup. Probably because of Gooch's knee. Under Bradley we have actually developed a "style" of play that is American instead of trying to emmulate other countries. We have a much bigger supply of players coming of age now and that alone should improve our performance in 2014 and 18. Altidore and Bradley will be in their prime while Donovan and Depsey may be able to contibute in a spot role here and there. Could be something especially if we land the cup in North America.

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Refresh my memory: save for the meltdown in the finals, did our defense hold up in the Confederations Cup?

18. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I guess you're correct. Our defense is inconsistent. Shutout Spain, but surrender 3 to Italy???

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

We're down to 8 left. Who do you like to advance?

Brazil v. Netherlands

If there's one match I'm hoping I'll be able to see, it's this one. Got to watch a little bit of the Netherlands game on Monday night and was amazed at the speed of the Netherlands team. Slovakia didn't have any answers for that kind of team speed. I'm inclined to go with Brazil, but I think the Netherlands will be a very tough matchup.

Uruguay v. Ghana

I think Uruguay just toyed with South Korea in their round of 16 matchup. They got a 1-0 lead and looked like they went into a defensive shell until S Korea tied the match. It took a great kick to score, but the score looked awfully easy to get, like Uruguay could have scored anytime they wanted to.

Argentina v. Germany

What was so shocking about the England loss is how Germany annihilated them. 4-0? That deserves a wow. I don't have any idea what to expect here as it seems to me that these teams have pretty much run roughshod over their opponent.

Paraguay v. Spain

Is Paraguay the weakest of the remaining teams? When Japan takes them to penalty kicks and loses because they missed the goal, that doesn't say a lot of good things about your team. When I think of Japan and soccer, I ask questions like, "How on earth did they make the round of 8?" I think Spain has the easiest opponent in this round.

Hats off to the South American Continent. Half of the round of 8 is made up of countries in South America. Very impressive.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    4-1. But still a wow. But if England's second goal had counted as it should have since it landed inside the goal and the match had been 2-2 at halftime perhaps the outcome would have been different.

I see a Brazil-Argentina final forthcoming with Brazil winning, 2-1.