1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured World explodes over dead lion, ignores planned parenthood

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Jul 29, 2015.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are blaming the victim here. It's shameful. Please give some examples of how a woman "puts herself in a position to be raped"?

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. Why didn't you?

That was the subject.

Yet, you spent your entire post defending the media's fascination with a dead lion. Not a word about the gruesome practice of selling baby body parts for profit.

Why?

3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was taught that abandoning what was usable was immoral.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I almost never cringe at what I read here, but you got me that time.

I cringed. :tonofbricks:

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you read?

I've said repeatedly that the dead lion does not rise to the tragedy of abortion and that using it as a point of argument about a different news story, the dead lion, is not a valid comparison. Any news story will pale next to abortion or the selling of fetus remains. So to bring it up is kind of a lame argument.

Furthermore, the problem is not the media, the problem are people and the popular culture. The reason why the media is giving the lion story so much attention is that this issue blew up on Facebook and Twitter so therefore they are now reporting it.

You know why the news media exists? It's where old people go to read about what happened on Twitter yesterday.

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there some sort of limit on things we can be outraged about? Like if you choose to acknowledge the lion killing thing you somehow forfeit your ability to weigh in on something else like planned parenthood which has gotten a pretty fair share of air time the last few weeks. People are capable of reacting to multiple situations at the same time and having an opinion on them. The whole comparison is kind of clunky.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you?

You demanded an apology for something that, not only wasn't implied, but that I stated specifically I did not believe.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The left, and that includes the vast majority of the media outlets, must protect PP at all costs.

Any distraction will do. This time , it's a dead lion.

9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, re-reading your response I see that you said my ideology "does not....believe that lions count and babies don't." So you don't need to apologize for that.

However, in the very next sentence you said:

"Why you're trying to minimize selling baby body parts in favor of a dead lion is beyond me."

This is simply an underhanded way of saying I DO believe lions count and babies don't. I would never minimize the selling of baby parts. So you can go ahead and apologize for that.

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've said it at least a dozen times on BB. Some people need to learn what the news cycle is all about. There's not a conspiracy by the news media, they simply cover whatever will draw people to read their websites and thus enable them to sell more advertising.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you spend all your time defending the extravagant media coverage of a dead lion, the effect is that you're minimizing the coverage of selling of baby body parts.

What you're saying is that the dead lion is a worthy replacement in the news for the gruesome practices of PP.

That's just the way it is.

Get over it.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really?

I've got some swampland in East Texas for sale at resort prices.

Sounds like you may be a likely prospect.

13. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Yes, Sis. Scarlett, I DID JUST SAY THAT!!

I'm aware that some rapes are perpetrated by friends--even relatives, and even those within her immediate family.

I dealt with a situation where a 12-YO step-daughter was raped by her step-father. I counseled her biological mother, who admitted that she noticed "signals" from her second husband that he was "fooling around" with his step-daughter, but the girl's mother felt threatened by her new husband, so much that she allowed it to continue until it was too late.

She admitted that she should've intervened to protect her daughter sooner, but she felt pressured by her new husband that he'd abuse his new wife even more than apparently was already doing.

He seemingly let the mother and daughter remain with him because the mother had no other family to which she could turn....Her family all lived in central America and had no way to help her in this situation.

He was paying his family--who also lived in central America--hush money to keep them quiet about these circumstances.

He held a top-level military position at the base on which this family lived in a rather high-level on-base housing area--much nicer than most of the other on-base housing areas. He seemed to believe that all the cards were stacked in his favor--which, at the time, they were.

As a civilian having no access to any on-base contacts, there wasn't much I could do in this situation. Crimes of this nature that occur outside civilian jurisdiction limit my options. All I could to was sympathize with the two women, and pray that God would somehow intervene on their behalf.

Hopefully He did, but whether or not He did as soon as I'd prayed that He would, I don't know.

Within a week, the two women mysteriously disappeared from the base; the high-level military step-father was re-assigned to another base thousands of miles away; and the on-base housing unit in which they all lived was totally vacant, with no indication given to me about where any of the people who'd lived there could be reached. That's the sad but true story. I had no human way to do anything for any one involved in this tragic incident.

If you've any advice about how I could've handled this incident that occurred some 33 yrs. ago any better than I did, I'm receptive to them....I really am.

God bless you, Sis. Scarlett! May He give you all you need as you prepare for the new school year! You're probably a bit apprehensive about the many challenges you'll face with your new students, but remember that our Great Teacher stand by your side as you do your best to try to influence your students Yes, they need to learn the academic content you teach them, but they also need to know of the One Who died for them.

How do I know this? I taught MS & HS grade level classes for almost 20 years myself.

Matthew 11:28-30 is still in The Book! :thumbsup:

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not "spending all my time defending the media coverage" I'm merely making posts in BB in opposition to your asinine posts, incompetent ability to comprehend things, and your personal attacks against me.

I'm not saying a "dead lion is a worthy replacement for news cover of PP", I'm saying because of our society it has become a replacement.

Also, you need to keep in mind that this dentist's office is about a mile from my house, that I drive past it perhaps twice a week, so I'm a bit closer to the story than most people. Here's a picture I took last night.

[​IMG]

15. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Consumers of news are drawn to sensationalism. News providers are motivated by money from advertisers. Advertisers are drawn to news outlets that can provide exposure to the largest number of potential customers that their dollar can buy.

It is all about chasing shiny things and money.

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely. There are very few news editors that sit around and say, "Hey, that Planned Parenthood story is really gaining traction. Search the internet, check the newswires and find something we can trumpet to divert attention away from PP."

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right. They won't do that.

They simply won't allow the PP story to gain traction in the first place. If it wasn't for "alternative" news sources, you wouldn't know about it at all.

The corrupt old media coverage of the affair has been a joke from day one. But not the dead lion. Front page stuff. Everywhere.

18. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Totally unrelated to the topic. Noticed in the picture that a truck is parked against traffic. Is that a ticketable offense in Minnesota?

I know, I know... :laugh:

19. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I wonder about the extent that the influence of the Lion King cartoon plays in this with the younger generation here in the States.

Ed to add: That sentence seems awkward, but I am at a loss as to how to make it sound better. One of those ESL moments, I guess.

#39 Rolfe, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was a news truck. As you know the news media does whatever it wants. If you look in the side mirror of my truck you can see more news trucks parked there (legally.)