1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Worship music

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 13, 2012.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The other day ago someone on FB was trying to get into a debate over music. I told him that I am no longer in bondage to the BJU/IFB interpretation of music. God has freed me from bondage and I am free to worship God in a contemporary form. IFB often make lots of straw-men arguments, and the most recent I heard was from a BJU grad student whom used one extreme example from a church in texas that plays death metal as part of their worship, and he shot down all churches that use contemporary based on this one extreme example. Having grown up in the new evangelical world, and in california the example he used was very very extreme and does not represent not even 20% of the evangelical worship experience.

Have you read Counterfeit Revival by Hank Hanegraaf? He has some good content on worship and what it means. Worship songs need good theology, however the composition should be contemporary and not old fashioned. When David Jeremiah was in town in late 2009 I went to see him and his music was filled with good theology, however the composition was contemporary. As a result I loved to worship there and really enjoyed his event. I had been in bondage for 2 years under the Bob Jones legalistic music system which is based all on tradition and very little on the scriptures. I am no longer in bondage to their system. I have chosen to attend a IFB church and the music is all old fashioned. However on my own time I often listen to contemporary christian music. The Way of the Master podcast also often plays CCM.

#1 evangelist6589, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's great. There is some amazing music out there that is so strong theologically such as Sovereign Grace music and the Gettys. God didn't stop inspiring good music to Himself back in the 50s and it's wonderful to see these men and women of God with hearts so turned towards Him that they are able to write songs that sometimes just bring me to my knees in awe of Him. :)

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

W/U on this!! (FWIW, my "Older Brother") is William James Kirkpatrick. He musically arranged many Fanny J Crosby's (et al) hymns, but he both wrote the lyrics & the musical arrangement 2 "Lord, I'm Coming Home" ("...I've wasted many a year....") back @ the turn of the 20th cent. The story behind that hymn always brings tears 2 my I's.

He's my "Older Brother" in that we both share the same last name, & he was practically contemporary (time & place) w/my great grandpa! While WJK was a Methodist [back when they REALLY believed stuff], from what he composed/wrote he HAD 2 know the same Jesus we/I did!! LOL!

I love your approach 2 lots of things I (as a simple lay person) I read on BB--not like many we both read about LOL!!

Have a good & GODLY Fri the 13th!!

--ktn4eg (Paul), Lam 3:2123