1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Worshiping God as an Idol?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by NateT, Sep 21, 2006.

1. NateT

NateT Member

I'm looking at Judges 2.16-3.6. Since it is a long passage, I won't paste it here.

But to set it up, this is a general discussion, almost a preview of what is to come in Judges. It talks about the people not following God, but worshiping idols (such as Baal etc.) It also discusses how God would instill a judge and His spirit would be upon the judge. The people obeyed the Lord, but when the judge died, they returned to doing what they pleased.

What I'm wondering is, is there a parallel between how they worshiped God at this time and how they worshiped Baal? Because, by definition, an idol can be here, but not there. And isn't that how they were treating God? He was here (with the judge) but not there (after the judge died.)

Is this true, or am I reading too much into the text?

2. Jeep Dragon

Jeep Dragon Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm assuming that the people usually turned to God for the wrong reasons. The reason was deliverance, not conviction. When they got deliverance, they turned away. I don't think that God was an idol to them, they just turned to Him as a reliable deliverer unlike their idols that they worshipped.