1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Worst historical war film

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Dogsbody

Dogsbody New Member

[​IMG] No one can live up to the Holloywood hero!
    But all who fought the Battle of Britain were true heros, British, Pole, Czech, American, Canadian, DUTCH! All! [​IMG]

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

All time worst historical film?

This one's in the running, particularly for what may be the worst miscasting of all time:

"'The Conqueror', a putative love story involving Genghis Khan's lust for the beautiful princess Bortai (Hayward), was a classic Hollywood big budget fiasco, one of many financed by would-be movie mogul Howard Hughes. Originally director Powell wanted to get Marlon Brando for the lead, but John Wayne, then at the height of his popularity, happened to see the script one day and decided he and Genghis were meant for each other. Unfortunately, the script was written in a cornball style that was made even more ludicrous by the Duke's wooden line readings. In the following sample, Wayne/Genghis has just been urged by his sidekick Jamuga not to attack the caravan carrying Princess Bortai: "There are moments fer wisdom, Juh-mooga, then I listen to you--and there are moments fer action--then I listen to my blood. I feel this Tartar wuh-man is fer me, and my blood says, 'TAKE HER!'" In the words of one writer, it was the world's "most improbable piece of casting unless Mickey Rooney were to play Jesus in The King of Kings."
    http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_016.html
    [​IMG]
    John Wayne as Gengis Khan. Just incredible.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Oh, that is a great one Galatian. I have seen that one but had forgotten about it. Had to be one of the worst of all time.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Heheheh!!!!! Okay, "the Conquerer" gets my vote.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've picked a winner there, John.

6. LOL that is hilarious. I think the Bridge over the River Kawai is pretty bad. It is a pretty disrespectful rendition of the HELL those men endured, and the movie seems to trivialize their hardships. I have never seen this Conquerer movie though. Too funny.