1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Worst hymn ever?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Liz Ward, Nov 17, 2004.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I love that hymn as well Jim - I got chills just thinking about it.

2. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I'm not mocking it. We were children when we did that. Kids don't always do appropriate things.

3. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Glad to hear that. It'd be nice for you to develop an appreciation for hymns like that. They have brought deep joy to generations, and it's a shame for you to miss out.

4. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of the songs that annoy me are annoying to me because of the music, not necessarily the lyrics. The one that annoys me the most is the Christmas song "While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night." This is because the tune is the most sing-songy thing I've ever heard. Try it using na-na-na-na for words and you'll see what I mean.

5. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I appreciate lots of Hymns Jim. My favorite is Old Rugged Cross. Don't be offended because I never really liked the Easter hymn. As a child I just found it really long and boring. There are lots of songs on here that people don't like that I hold very dear (Ex: Open the Eyes of My Heart). It's all just a matter of opinion. Nothing to get upset over.

6. I have to defend the "Battle Hymn of the Republic." The story behind that song is outstanding. It was written as an anti-slavery poem in the 1860s and printed in the Atlantic Monthly in 1862. Some of the words are fantastic "As he died to make men holy let us die to make men free," and I am originally from the South ;) I also LOVE "Precious Lord Take my Hand" and, of course, "How Great Thou Art." I cannot stand "Jesus my Friend Forever," it seems quite disrepectful to me, and I have never liked the words, "more close than a brother, more intimate than a lover," just not a fan...

Pax Christi,

Stephen

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

The good thing for me about God of Earth and Outer space is that I think I have only sang it once in my life, and it was more than I could bear when I sang it then. Glad they took it out. What were they thinking when they included that!

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

though the tune gets old, I like this song.

9. Walguy

Walguy Member

While there is nothing wrong with the message, I've always found the imagery of 'There is a fountain filled with blood,' to be rather strange:

There is a fountain filled with blood
    drawn from Immanuel's veins,
    and sinners plunged beneath that flood
    lose all their guilty stains.

I appreciate the Lord's sacrifice very much, but that particular metaphoric description of it is not a pretty picture, lol.

10. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's a song that's harmony gets on my nerves. I think its called "bringing in the Sheaves". Its set to the tune to Farmer in the Dell.

11. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm with Walguy; that hymn used to give me the willies! (Along with "Somewhere in the shadows you'll find Jesus hiding there")

Yours in Christ

Matt

12. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Savior is Waiting is my all time nonfavorite hymn.

Somewhere in that hymn should be the words - "Pore old Jesus, He's done all he can do."

13. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Surprised that no one has mentioned "O Victoreee in Jeesus" and "There is a Balm in Gilead."

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Hey... I Like Victory in Jesus. We sing it quite often.

15. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Charles Meadows you are funny .

16. onecoolcanuk

onecoolcanuk Guest

For the life of me, I can't think of any hymns that I hate. Probably because if I hate it I let my mind wander and therefore cannot remember any titles.

Speaking of Bringing in the Sheaves, they always sang that on Little House on the Prairie and I hated it only because I didn't know what they were saying.

I do hate some of the contemporary praise choruses though...pretty much the ones that talk about Jesus being our lover, etc. I'm sorry...but I am a man; Jesus and I are not gay, so Jesus is not my lover and He is not my boyfriend. [​IMG]

17. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

the hymns that say "when my eyes shall close in death" and "when the death dew lies cold on my brow" These are eerie to me!

18. Michael J

Michael J New Member

One of my worst hymns I know is Footsteps of Jesus. The chorus goes like this:

Footsteps of Jesus that make the pathway glow
    We will follow the steps of Jesus, where e're they go.

Since when do footsteps make pathways glow? After the first time singing it, I decided I would never use that song again!

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well since Jesus is the Light of the World and we are to follow in the steps of our Lord.....

John 1:4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.

20. delly

delly New Member

TaterTot, "Rock of Ages" is one of my favorites.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
    When mine eyes shall close in death,
    These for sin cannot atone,
    Thou must save and Thou alone.
    In my hand no price I bring
    Simply to Thy Cross I cling.

Beautiful!