1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would anyone outside Colorado and Cleveland...

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by webdog, Oct 16, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...want to see this world series? Thoughts?

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Well, 1st of all Cleveland isnt in it yet. :rolleyes: Gotta win one more.

But I would like to see the Cleveland Indians win a World Series again.

Here lately teams that have had long droughts since their last World Series have been getting the "monkey off their back". The Red Sox, and of course my favorite MLB team, the Chicago White Sox.

I'd like to see the Indians win it. I have complete disinterest in the Colorado Rockies. Same with Arizona, Florida, and that other Florida team. I'm one of those "if you arent one of the 'Traditional' teams you dont count" kind of fans.
    :thumbs:

My favorite teams...

Chicago White Sox
    Cincinatti Reds
    Boston Red Sox
    Detroit Tigers
    New York Yankees

btw...if a traditional team leaves their traditional city, they cease to exist. In other words the Dodgers and Giants no longer exist. If they move back to Brooklyn and New York, they exist again. :laugh:

Mike

#2 D28guy, Oct 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  3. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Webdog,

Hey...I posted that before I just now looked up and saw you were in Cleveland.

I'll be pulling for you guys! :wavey:

(If they get in, which they probably will)

Mike

4. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Absolutely! I'm in Florida, but I'm a Rockies fan. So there will be at least one person from the East Coast watching it.

5. Orion41

Orion41 New Member

I'm not a huge MLB fan anymore, just kind of got out of it a few years ago, but the Rockies are on fire. I'm in Oklahoma by the way, and probably will watch at least some of the series. I never rooted for Cleveland before, and will be pulling for the Rockies this time. :laugh:

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

How can you be a fan of the Red Sox and the Yankees? :confused:

It's been over 50 years since these teams moved. Isn't it about time to get over it? :wavey:

Anyway, I'll watch the series and will root for Cleveland to win.

7. D28guy

D28guy New Member

ccribinson,

I've never lived in either Boston or New York so I've never been part of the extreme emotional things that cause the animosity. But both teams are among my favorites

I became a Yankees fan when I was a kid, because of all the tradition, great players, etc. Then Boston became the parent team for the AAA minor league team in the city where I was raised, so I got to where I liked them.

Cincinatti is the closest MLB team for us here in Kentucky so I pull for them. Detroit was my Dads hometown so they were his favorite, so I like them. And the White Sox became my #1 favorite for no explainable reason when I started listening to the radio broadcasts late at night on the radio as a kid. They were bad and I felt sorry for them so I adopted them as my favorite out of pity. :thumbs:

I have all the games from their recent world series victory on tape.

A friend who lives in Chicago annointed me an Honorary "south sider" since Kentucky is south of Chicago! :laugh:

Mike

8. D28guy

D28guy New Member

CC,

Nope. I wasnt even born yet when the Dodgers and Giants left New York, but long time teams leaving their traditional cities is still a real pet peeve of mine. When a team is in a city for a long time they become part of the culture and fabric of a city. (think the Browns in Cleveland and the Colts is Baltimore for more recent examples) They become PART of the city! When a slimy owner bolts for greed it should be a crime. It tears the heart out of thousands of people in that city.

Their ought to be a law that if a pro sports team has been in a city for XXX amount of years, the name and uniforms become PART OF that city and they can not move. Ever. If the team moves, they CAN NOT take the nick name and uniforms with them. They can only be used in that city.

Thats why I am so glad the NFL let then Browns use the same name and unis. It ought to be that way everywhere.

But in the mean time we have the St Louis NFL team playing in Arizona, the Los Angeles team playing in St Louis, the Oakland team playing in Los Angeles...then moving back to Oakland, the Baltimore team playing in Indianapolis, the Houston team playing in Tennessee, etc etc etc. Its insanity.

The only exception I would make would be if a team leaves a city due to sustained lack of support. If the fans wont come, they are rejecting the team. Thats different. But the vast majority of these teams were greatly loved in their cities.

Off my soap box now! :wavey:

Mike

#8 D28guy, Oct 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  9. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll watch it. If the Yankees can be in it, then I want 2 brand new teams in. They bring an excitement that MLB needs.

But I hate to say it if Boston gets in, I'd watch it also because of Big Papi and ManRam

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will watch/listen to at least portions of each game if I can. I will be rooting for the Rockies since ex-Astro Willy Taveras is a member of the team.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...hence "would" instead of "will" in the title. "Will" comes sometime around 11:30 pm on Thursday :)

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The Rox are on a roll like none other. A month ago in 4th place. I'm in Colorado, so I don't count on the question, but I'll be watching. After all, it's Rocktober in the Rockies!!

GO ROX!!!!

[​IMG]

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I would like to see the Indians win it.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I want to see it. I want to see Todd Helton (a former HS foe of mine as a baseball pitcher/Quarterback and former Tennessee two-sport standout) get a ring.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Which Rockies team is real, though? The one that was basically a .500 team from opening day through the middle of September...or the one that is playing SICK right now winning 21 out of 22?

16. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Heck yeah...i think this will be one of the more entertaining series should the Indians make it. :thumbs:

17. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Webdog,

I hope so. The Indians are who I'll be pulling for. :thumbs:

Its a perfect situation. A great set up. A run like that cant continue...they are due, actually over due for things to balance out. And the result of that?

The Indians win the World Series! :smilewinkgrin:

Mike

#17 D28guy, Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2007
  18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

SSSssshhh!!! Don't wake him, he is having the dream of his life.

GO ROCKIES! :thumbs:

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:laugh:

Baseball is a game of percentages. The percentages cannot favor the Rockies' outstanding play. They are due for at least...say...4 losses :)

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:eek: I meant 3 losses...