1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would anyone outside Colorado and Cleveland...

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by webdog, Oct 16, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh well. Our state motto "wait til next year" :BangHead:

What worse time for both Carmona and Sabathia to choke! This will KILL Sabathia's worth come his free agency. This one will be tough to let go. I hate always being a statistic or catch phrase "The drive", "The Fumble", "The Shot", etc. This one can be called "The Choke"...

#41 webdog, Oct 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007
  2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

I just wonder if that messed up call about holding up the runner at 3rd took something out of the Indians.

It seemed like it all went downhill after that.

Mike

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree, they seemed out of sync after that. Of course I was flipping back and forth to the Donkeys. What a close game that was.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not real sure, but you can probably find a dozen or so fans in 'Beantown', who will want to see it. :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Ya' mean like teams have done from mid-Sept. thru Oct., starting on Sept. 16, when the last palce Fla 'Fish', in a good gesture of sportsmanship, allowed the Rockies to "win one" and avoid the humiliation of being swept at home in the season ending series for the two teams?

Or the even more generous LA 'Blue', which allowed the "High-Country Boys" to take 4 straight from the 18th-20th, including a 2 for 1 day?

Or maybe you're referring to the Priests of San Diego, who, wanting to get in on the alms, generously donated 3 more to the cause, from the 21st-23rd?

Or are you referring to the 'I'm not gonna' be outdone' 'Blue', again, who so thoughtfully chipped in another 3, from the 25th-27th?

Perhaps the Ariz. Desert Rattlers did strike with a 'one-fang' bite, on the 28th, but quickly saw "the error of their ways", so slithered like harmless 'milk snakes' on the 29th & 30th, placing two more 'gifts' in their own "Good-Will[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]®[/FONT]" Box?

Or the SD clergy, who, given one final shot at 'Christian Charity', made the most of it by dropping the 'bag of gold' into the "alms box" on Oct.1?

Or is it the Phils who kept up the Spirit of Christmas by giving 3 additional gifts?

Or finally, the Ariz. serpents who found the charitable bit to their liking and gave another 4?

Yep! All these sure did a very good job of taking care of the 'High Plains Chapparal Dwellers', and let us also not forget to mention the NY Shea Denizens and California Preachers who added some more donations indirectly, if not 'in person'.

I'd say if there is very much more of this sort of generosity forthcoming, by this time next week, we will be talking about an unprecedented "outpouring of concern" in a real "October surprise"! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

#45 EdSutton, Oct 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2007
  6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Yes, I think folks in the Boston area might be interested :)

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Rob Neyer, baseball writer (one of the good ones) for espn.com, was doing a chat on ESPN's Gamecast during the game. He said that 3rd base coaches are trained to hold the runner when the ball caroms like that. The ball pretty much went right to Manny and while it's likely that Lofton would have scored, it wasn't a sure-thing. I wonder if the carom plus Manny's defensive play in the 5th (where the umpire blew the call) made the 3rd base coach gun-shy. Who would have ever thought that the sentence "Manny Ramirez made a good defensive play" would have ever been written?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now I'm getting the business...:D

Colorado should handle the Red Sox if their pitching staff doesn't have a monster meltdown like the Indidans. If you think about it, 2 17 game winners who were dominant during the regular season and against the yankees went a combined 0 - 3 with an era over 14...and we STILL took it to 7 games with the opportunity to win the series in 5. I hope they learn from this year, because they should be right back there again next year. The yankees won't be the same, and there are some free agent issues with the Red Sox next year, so I would imagine with another bat or 2 (Lowell at 3rd for the Indians would be cool), and hopefully without having 1/3 of the starting lineup having year long slumps, we will be decent.

9. D28guy

D28guy New Member

On the other hand though, the guys calling the game said that the common wisdom is that ordinarily if the runner is going to get to third before the outfielder is picking up the ball, as was the case last night, you send him home.

Which this 3rd base coach DID AT 1ST! They showed in in the replay. At 1st he was sending the runner home, and then changed his mind and stopped him. And they showed Clevelands manager on camera right after appearing to show clear displeasure with what happened.

Mike

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That was a huge bonehead play. You have the fastest guy on Cleveland rounding third with Ramirez 15 feet away from the ball! Unreal. Any momentum was killed at that point.

Another thing that makes me mad was the fact the whole Paul Byrd thing being reported mere hours before game 7. Not coincidentally, the MLB steroid investigator sits on the RED SOX BOARD OF DIRECTORS!!! Are you kidding me? Talk about a clear bias and conflict of interest!!

11. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Hey Webdog...

Webdog,

Isnt this something? Earlier in this thread you and I were talking about how the percentages would dictate that Colorado would cool off, and the Indians would win it.

Can you believe it, it seems we were right...but the Indians arent going to be the ones gaining from it. Of course Boston is playing very very well, but it could have been the Indians doing this.

Of course, I'm a Red Sox fan, but as an American Leaguer I would would have been a huge Indians fan for the Series if they had made it.

Good luck next year. I hope the Indians can do it.

Mike

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks. I knew the percentages would catch up with Colorado...that's why I believe if the Indians could have just squeeked out that last win, we would be celebrating our first world series win since '46!

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did the "percentages" catch up with Colorado or was Boston simply clearly the superior team?

14. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yes and Yes.

Another factor was the long layoff for the Rox. It was evident in the Rockies hitting, esp. the first two games. But Boston was the better team, as any AL team would have been better than any NL team, regardless of the combination from the 8 playoff teams.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I detect either hyperbole or American League hubris in that statement.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...or truth :)

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Rockies couldn't get any pitching together. They also kept leaving stranded players. No team play...

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Neither. I could add a 5th team from the AL that was better than any of the NL teams - the Detroit Tigers. However, some might claim that would be a biased statement. :)

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

If you took the results of interleague play and extrapolated to 162 games, it comes out to AL 88, NL 74. If you figure the results based on run differential instead, it's more like AL 90 NL 72.

20. D28guy

D28guy New Member

As an Americal Leaguer myself I can only say...

:laugh:

I'm old enough to remember back in the 70's when the National League was dominating. They were winning more World Series, and they were even more dominant in the All Star game, winning something like 12 out of 13 or something like that. It was very disheartning.

So I really am enjoying this AL domination right now. Completly dominating the All Star game! Completly dominating the World Series!

You NL'ers must be doing a lot of...:BangHead:

What goes around comes around! :thumbs: :laugh:

Mike