1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would God just give up on some christians?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Feb 17, 2008.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I have a friend who I email with and who I talk to about problems which I have.
    He had the idea of creating a list in a google document which we both can work on where I can write down problems and also solutions.
    He pushed me to do this even though I was not convinced that this makes any sense. I know my problems well but for some there are no real solutions then where is the sense of writing them down? And even if there are solutions then writing them down doesn't mean that everything is fine and that I will attack one problem at a time and just do it. This may seem nice on a paper but real life is different. I'm no machine and I'm having a hard time to motivate myself and so on. There are days where I'm depressed and then I do nothing and waste my time. And now he became impatient with me and wrote me this:

> I meant that your lack of commitment and desire for true
    > change truly evident
    . I am very close to just giving you up to satan
    > because of this. And I feel that God often feels the same for you. If
    > you aren't willing to completely commit yourself to God and the
    > necessary changes to do that, I just can't see how he can ever
    > accomplish a thing with you and through you when you constantly put up
    > road blocks.

What if he is right and God wants to give up on me? :tear:

2. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

What a horrible thing for your "friend" to say! And completely wrong, too. Once you have accepted God into your heart, He will be with you, always. Remember, "seek, and ye shall find." God has answers for you, but you must be willing to ask, and wait, until He reveals His plan for you.

love,

Sopranette

3. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I agree, writing things down is a good idea. Buy a note book.

Unless you give up, God won't give up on you.

Matthew 18:11-14 (KJV)
    11: For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
    12: How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?
    13: And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.
    14: Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Hi!
    I also thought about writing things down and setting goals for myself to motivate me because motivation and managing things is a huge problem for me. Very often I am simply too depressed and get nothing done and at the end of the day I'm even more depressed.
    And having a nice list with all problems and solutions doesn't help me with the problem of then not doing what's on the list and there are also problems where there is no simple solution.

I feel miserable now where my friend told me this and the worst thing is never knowing if God is like this or not. This is also why I'm scared of going to church and having to submit to other christians because if a christian says something to me which scares me or depresses me then I can't tell if he is right or not and then I don't know if God would have said the same thing to me and then I also become scared of God, it's just terrible. One wrong word from a christian can totally drag me down and change my whole picture of God. I feel like if I expose myself to the wrong christians then I'm basically easy prey.

5. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Your friend shouldn't have said that. I don't believe God would say anything to bring you down. Jesus helped those in need even when they didn't thank him for his help. (Luke chapter 17 The ten lepers)

You don't have to submit yourself to others. You go to church to worship God not people. Ignore people that say things that bring you down.

6. standingfirminChrist

Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you find any Scripture where God gave up on one of His own? You can look all you want but you won't find it. Read Hosea to see how God actively chases those He loves.

I think your friend is frustrated because they're trying to help you as best as they know how but it's not "working" in their mind. Some people have a very simplified answer to life's problems (I'm one of them but I'm learning through working with a woman with amazingly complex problems that the answers aren't always simple or easy), and when the problem isn't fixed after a couple of steps, they lash out in frustration.

I don't remember if you've spoken about what you're doing before but I'd highly suggest speaking to your doctor and working with him/her on finding you some medication to deal with the depression issue you're having. I really think that if you can get that under control, you will be better able to deal with other things. I so wish you were local to us so that you could come to some of our men for discipleship and counseling because I know we have a number of men who would be able to help you. But that's where finding a good church near you and finding a good counselor would be the right thing to do. Pray and ask God to lead you to someone who can help you. Ask God to send someone into your life who will be able to help your focus and self-image about who you are in Christ.

I'll be praying brother.

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

xd, you can build barriers yourself, but God is always there for you. The distance we feel at times is the walls we build. Yet, God is faithful to us.

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

ACK!

My son had a friend once who had an idea and a passion for a project and tried to get my son involved. It wasn't my son's passion or idea. His friend, like yours, questioned his committment. HOGWASH!

Find your own passion! Let him waller in his!

10. billwald

billwald New Member

Insufficient data. What are you doing that irritates your friend?

11. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

My friend wants me to keep working on this list and I don't know what else to write down anymore. To me this whole thing doesn't make sense. There are many things where I simply don't have simple solutions. If there were simple solutions I wouldn't even need a list because the problems would have been solved already.
    He has the kind of thinking that I simply have to "fully commit" and live the "life which God wants me to live" and then he thinks everything will be fine and according to him this basically means:

-Having a church
    -Having "fellowship"
    -Having a mentor

And he seems to believe that if I have this then everything will fall into place. But I don't think it's that easy. Finding a church is already hard. Finding fellowship is even harder! I learned that among christians it's not much different than in the world. Just because you're a christian doesn't mean that other christians will be your friends. They will tolerate you or accept you but they won't necessarily be your friends.
    And finding a "mentor" is something which seems absolutely unrealistic, I mean come on. I cannot believe that there are christians out there which have nothing better to do than playing the mentor for somebody else and even if there was somebody like this then he would also have to be a good mentor because having a mentor who teaches you nonsense is much worse than having no mentor at all! So basically the chance of finding a mentor who is also a sound teacher is virtually nonexistent in my opinion.

As for not having to submit to other christians...
    What about the elders of a church? Do you not have to submit to them? Recently I listened to a sermon and the pastor said if a young man goes to college and lives away from home he has to find a church and then submit to the elders!
    This totally repelled me. What if the elders are totally strange and then you're supposed to simply submit to a person only because she is an elder? That seems strange to me.
    I don't know, maybe I really am a rebel, but as soon as I have to do something then I feel like I'm in a cage and I cannot stand this. No matter what it is when somebody tells me that I have to do something then I start to feel very uncomfortable. I don't think I could accept a christian over me as authority who tells me what to do. :(

I've been to a doctor in the past because of being depressed and he said I could try antidepressants but then I was too afraid to take them because of possible side effects. I just didn't dare to try it because they can also make you feel worse than before, at least in the beginning which is really scary. If my doctor had insisted on me taking it then it would have been easier for me, but he only said I could give it a try and then I wasn't courageous enough to do it.

My friend wrote me again and once again his email sounded scary. I don't know what he's talking about. I wonder if he's trying to scare me into submission. How can he say such things? He's not a prophet.

12. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

deleted post

#12 Hopeful, Feb 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  13. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't know your friend, and I only know you from this Board, but I can say this on the basis of Scripture: God does not save a sinner and then "give up" on him or her. Just a few verses:

"All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out." John 6:37

"27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand." John 10:27-29

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written: "For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter." 37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8.35-39

And Jesus said that those who believe on Him have (not "will have") eternal life.

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

With "friends" like that, who needs enemies? I know of a preacher who does preach that God gives up on Christians and I don't agree with it at all. He uses it to scare people and beat them over the head about what rotten people they are.

xdisciplex, I admit to not fully understanding what's going on with your "friend", but I think that if I had a friend like that, I would find a new friend.

15. SeekingHisTruth

SeekingHisTruth New Member

I think someone has posted a good answer to your question. God will give up on those that have given up at some point. I don't know when that point is, but if you are still earnestly and honestly seeking Him and His Truth He will not give up on you.

However He knows whether you are earnestly seeking Him and His Truth.

But folks that have told you that there is no chance that God will "give up" on believers is untrue according to the Scripture. Paul gave two saved individuals over to Satan. God said at some point He will give folks over to a depraved mind.

You are right in that there are not many "simple" answers in Christendom. If it was all "simple" then everyone would believe the same thing :).

Keeping seeking His Truth and yearning to know Him more intimately!!!

16. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Hi everybody!

He (my friend) did it again! I don't know what is going on with him. He never used to do this but now he always tells me such things which scare me. I was just online and he messaged me on MSN and started to talking with me about an issue which totally upsets me. I didn't even want to talk about it, but he came up with this stuff. It was about muslims and Europe being taken over by muslims and this is such a delicate and serious issue because I am right here in Europe! I know what I am talking about. I see how blind the politicians are and how my country will be taken over by muslims it's only a matter of time. He only told me stuff like that it's good because now we have those people right in our countries and can evangelize them and so on. I do not share this optimism at all. I feel threatened by these foreigners which are multiplying so fast that they are basically swallowing us in a a few decades. This is scary! When I think about this then I become really angry. I don't know how to deal with this. Sure, Jesus talked about loving your enemies but I don't love them. When I feel threatened by someone then I can't love him. I don't know how to deal with this and I am also aware of the fact that my emotions are not christian but I can't help. And now he comes along telling me that we have to love them and have to have compassion and that what I say is vile and so on and he's only turning the knife in my wound. I already know this, but at the same time I can't help. I simply don't love these people. To me it's a riddle how one can love his enemies. How could Jesus do this? Was it maybe because he did not feel threatened by them because he knew that ultimatively God is in control? Is this the "key"? Or it this kind of love simply supernatural? But I don't have it and I can't simply say to myself that from now on I will just love everybody who I feel threatened by. This simply doesn't work. But other christians really seem to have this love which I don't have and I don't understand how they can act this way. I am aware of this and things like these are also why I doubt if I'm even a christian because I just don't have this love and the last thing which I need is someone who rubs this under my nose telling me know unchristian my feelings are.
    I am simply upset and I don't know how life is supposed to be in 20 or 30 years. The country which I grew up in will not be the same anymore, in fact in a few decades I will be a foreigner in my country. This is hard to deal with but it's the sad reality.But he didn't believe me and made fun of it as if I'm talking nonsense. Anyway, and after telling me how unchristian I am he also told me this here:

Why does he do this? I asked him why he uses these manipulative tactics and he told me he doesn't know what I am talking about he said he only quotes the bible. Oh yeah. :BangHead:

#16 xdisciplex, Feb 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2008
  17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can I suggest that you forget this friend for a while and not contact him? Spend time in the Word instead. That will do more for you than continuing to talk to him for now.

18. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Hi Ann,

maybe you're right. But this doesn't solve the problems. I mean those things are there, unfortunately. I really have a problem with love for my enemies but I don't know how to solve this. I really don't have a clue. But being aware of these things which I lack makes me feel bad and unchristian. It's always like this. I see what other christians have which I don't have and then I feel bad because of it.

19. SeekingHisTruth

SeekingHisTruth New Member

xdisciplex there is only one way to solve this problem. First you want to have it solved (and by that I don't mean done away with forever, because that may not be - it might be something you deal with until you are gone - don't know), but the only way to get a handle on this is through prayer.

"We" in and of ourselves can do "nothing" to solve this issue other than die to self and ask the Spirit to live out the life of Christ in our members. Only Christ in and through us will enable us to love our enemies.

Pray and tell God that you desire to love your enemies and ask Him to work that out through you. That is the only Scriptural solution I know of.

20. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But what does love for the enemies even mean?
    Does it mean that you feel warm and fuzzy when you watch them or what does it mean? Does it mean you do not get angry at them?
    I think first of all I have to know what kind of love this really is because if I expect something wrong then I also cannot know if I have it.

For example there are many psalms where David prays to God to destroy his enemies. Was David wrong when he asked for this?