1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would Going to the Media be Wise in this Situation?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Steven Yeadon, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey everyone,

I have lived a rather "adventurous" life in the mental healthcare system until about a year ago when they found a solid treatment plan for me. After talking about it with my therapist, I have decided that it would be best to try and get my story in the news so as to try and get more attention on the poor shape of our mental healthcare system.

My story can be split into seven worrying parts:

1. The onset of severe mental illness in 2007.
    2. Poor treatment my first night in the hospital.
    3. Living at home for two years, but occasionally wandering the streets as a dangerous person in Orlando, Florida. Someone who occasionally got interned at a hospital by law enforcement.
    4. Rebuilding my life over the course of 4 years.
    5. Wandering the streets for a short time as a dangerous homeless person across America as a drifter. This happened when a medical experiment with my medication went bad.
    6. Getting treatment in a hospital in Kansas City, Missouri that didn't solve the problem of my violence.
    7. Spending a bit over two years wandering the streets as a dangerous homeless person in Orlando, Florida. I was typically interned by police in a hospital every month or two for two years.

Lastly, I lost count of the number of times I wanted to arm myself and murder people when psychotic and paranoid.

Clearly there is a serious problem here at containing potential violence, and honestly they need to be a bit more humane when we are confined to a hospital and have lost our rights.

So, what do you guys and gals think? Sound like a good news story to try and get out there to help fix the system? Any recommendations?

I go to you guys and gals for solid biblical and Christian advice.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did your therapy include journal writing?

That is where I would start.

Write it all down to find patterns and episodic triggers.

Include others the in character development aspects so both you and a reader may understand how various personality types were both helpful or even dangerous / injurious to you.

Put highlights on 5x8 cards and establish a storyboard. This will also help establish chapter or section breaks in the narrative.

Then, work through the events as a storyteller weaves a journey.

Do not forget to add humor and rescues to keep the journey moving forward.

Finally, look to a couple English majors who will go through the final drafts for not only structure error, but will give an eye to content comments.

The most important is letting the reader know at the end the journey is not over. Makes for sequels.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sadly your story follows a rather typical pattern - the best part any story is belief in Christ.
    That is the part that should be emphasized.

Fixing the "system" probably won't help things much; change needs to happen within each individual.

In life there will be ups and downs but our consistency is found by living a life of repentance and following our Savior.

Rob

4. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you both for your replies. It turned out that the news just wants the goriest details. News in America really is that shallow because the news editors read reams of news tips. I have submitted the goriest details and a local station was positive. They said it sounds like a good piece for the State of Florida politics when the time of the year for new bills to present arrives. I am going to learn from my interaction with them to customize my presentation to others channels and news outlets. I even want to attempt going to national news channels.