1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would It Be OK To Leave Tracts on the Side of the Road?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Sep 14, 2013.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

And they create a lovely peaceful facade that makes everyone feel comfy cozy.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I started this thread because I was inspired by a post made by saturneptune where he said, "I don't tape tracts onto my bottle rockets when I shoot them off on the fourth of July." This got me to thinking about how people distribute tracts and what would be some alternate ways of doing it.

For the record, I don't think it would be a good idea to scatter tracts along the side of the road. However, how is anonymously leaving a tract someplace else much different? For example, aren't people that leave tracts with their tip at restaurants in effect "littering"? Ninety-nine times out of a hundred the wait staff throws the tract in the trash. If you leave a tract at the dentist's (doctor's, auto mechanic, etc.) office, doesn't that border on littering as well?

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BINGO! We have a winner.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

You may. I grew up with "Blue Laws". Enforced morality gives only an appearance of righteousness, and in fact increases sin and disobedience.

This is a Biblical principle- read Romans 7.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not think that is a very wise or pragmatic way to do that.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

At least there, it has a decent chance of being read. Leaving it alongside the road? Not likely.

Leaving that without leaving a tip is a sure way to turn off your intended "target" of the tract. All they're going to say is, "Cheap so-and-so" and toss the tract. That's exceptionally counter-productive.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is exactly right. I leave a "Thank You" tract with a very good tip inside it. Usually 20%

9. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There may be a case to your story and why its wise to use many different types of tracts. I was driving and a homeless person was on the bridge on saturday. I got out a Way of the Master gospel tract and gave it to him. After he got the tract he said a swear word at me and my wife said I should have said it was a gospel tract and not money as he had thought. Perhaps I should have given him another type of gospel tract as perhaps I offended him with the Way of the Master tract.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Surely this is satire?

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Bravo, and three cheers, if cheap creeps cannot afford to tip, they cannot afford to go out. The worst offenders of this are the after church Sunday morning crowd. What a witness. My daughter used to work at a restaurant, and the waitress crew fought tooth and nail each week about who had to cover the shift starting at noon on Sunday. I have personally seen some of the rudest and most embarrassing behavior by groups that had obviously been to church based on their dress. What a bunch of hypocrites.

12. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or he was hungry and cold and needed a meal and shelter.

If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and be filled," and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.
    James 2:15-17 NAS77

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.worshiphousemedia.com/mini-movies/7871/Faith-Without-Love

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm with Saggy - Go out there and help them, bringing hot coffee in cold weather or cold drinks in hot. Minister to them and bring them the Gospel.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

A great clip and very typical. That is exactly why I could not work with the public. The man would have been wearing the ice tea and the woman the chopped pecan salad. Holding hands and praying in public, then that display. You are right, this is a great example of what is destroying Christianity. Me first, pride, and arrogance.

16. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It’s a well-motivated legitimate thought IMO…
    If one carefully prepared the messages while wearing gloves and distributed them under cover at night there would be little chance of getting caught and charged for this grey area concerning the intent to liter or not. Plus, if even one soul was saved as a result what is a couple hundred bucks in comparison.
    Ah, that's the point! They would be giving them to people.
    Possibly, there are ways. For instance, you could put them out the day before the cleanup, maybe with a note inside explaining it is not your intention to liter but to deliver a special message and that you will be checking back to make sure none of these messages are left behind as trash. Yes, the workers could, because of the lack of respect they already possess for the Gospel, make a case of these distributions adding to their work, although, such would merely amount to splitting hairs over a miniscule difference in the amount of work.
    It was thoughtful but neglects other issues and comes to a false conclusion.
    Leaving tracts not as liter is…well, not liter. It is called “evangelism” and could be acceptable as such.
    Hits “dogma” button.
    *cough* *cough*

This reminds me of a strawman.

Next comes:
    Kinda figured that might be the sentiment behind most of the negative replies. ;)
    Please excuse me for being a bit off-topic, but this conversation leads me to wondering, and I’m really curious:

Question, what do Calvinist call themselves if not “Evangelists”?

For instance, we have those who call themselves “Evangelical Arminians”, so what would be a parallel title (IOWs - the politically correct title) for describing the work of telling the Good News concerning Calvinist? “Predestinational Duties???”
    :tonofbricks:

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Litter is litter - period

How about this - at the end of the police call (thats what we call it in the Army) -

- set up a coffee and donut stand for the crew! Be there and have the opportunity to talk to the folks.

Sgt Salty

ps - and be sure not to leave any litter after the coffee and donuts :laugh: