1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would Jesus accept an honorary doctorate?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Paul33, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I posed the question on another thread, Why hasn't Jesus Christ received an honorary doctorate?

Of course, many of you know that John R. Rice's horse was awarded an honorary doctorate from Hyles-Anderson College.

IFBs receive honorary doctorates in mass from their schools. A recent survey of the SOTL revealed that almost everyone identified in it had a doctorate.

So why not Jesus?

Wouldn't we be showing "more" honor to Jesus Christ if we called him Dr. Jesus Christ.

Of course, this causes me to raise another question. Who receives honor and glory when we give out honorary doctorates? Who receives honor and glory when we use the title?

Come to think of it, I didn't see a whole lot of lifting up of Jesus on the pages of the SOTL. I did see alot of preening by men and women who hold these honorary degrees.

In the spirit of the olympics, let the games begin.

2. Petrel

Petrel New Member

It seems kind of silly offering an honorary doctorate to God.

And that's all I'll say on the matter!

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

For God to accept the degree, it must be accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies recognized by the US Department of Education [​IMG]

4. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

No, No, NO, my good friends.

We aren't talking about God the Father, we are talking about God the Son in the flesh, Jesus of Nazareth, the Messiah of Israel.

Would Jesus the man accept an honorary doctorate?

What would Jesus do?

5. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Were you planning on offering an honorary doctorate in theology? :D

I think he'd say, "Considering I'm God, I think it would be silly to accept this degree." [​IMG]

Since we're not God, though, the case may be different for us.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think it certainly depends. There is nothing wrong with honorary doctorates as long as they are used properly (ie...to honor a person's service in a particular intellectual field). There is nothing wrong with men like Billy Graham, D James Kennedy (Campbell University), or Ken Ham (Liberty University) accepting honorary degrees from fully accredited schools. However this has been abused by men who want to be called "Dr" but who do not want to do the work. In the latter case it is dishonest and wrong. Most of these clowns don't even have accredited master degrees and they certainly have not had enough of an impact on their field to deserve a honorary degree. They give the honor a bad name because they don't use it properly. It is all in the way you use it. I know a man who has a doctorate degree from an unaccredited school and, guess what? He refuses to be called "Dr" and he even plays it down. Why? Because it did it for personal reasons and not so people could call him doctor. So whether it is a honorary doctorate, an unaccredited doctorate, or a real accredited doctorate it is all in the way one uses it.

So, would Jesus accept an honorary doctorate? Yes, I think he would. Why? Because He certainly has made a major impact on His field (to say the least).

==They are mis-using those honorary degrees. Honorary degrees stop being honorary when everyone and their grandmother has one. It is acknowledge special service, a major impact in one's field of study. I think many of those people you are talking about are wanting to avoid hard work. They use other excuses to get out of hard work as well (ie..KVJO, anti-intellectualism, etc).

==The same question, of course, could be raised with any award or earned degree. It all depends on why the person is getting the honor and what their attitude is. Again this could apply to almost any award or degree (honorary or earned).

Martin.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I am not going to try and determine what Jesus would do on this earth if offered an honorary doctorate.

The major problem I have with honorary doctorates is those who put a "Dr" in front of their name after receiving one. To me it is deceptive and unethical to pretend that one did the work for a doctorate.

I think we would probably be better off without any honorary degrees.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus was honored by being crucified.

10. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Perhaps Jesus is the only one who should accept an honorary doctorate. Of course, for most of his lifetime he tried to downplay who he was.

11. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Maybe he would accept one, but he sure wouldnt wear the name, and act like he was something he truly wasnt.

12. William Wallace

William Wallace New Member

That is it in a nutshell. People with these honorary degrees act like it means somrthing.

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I agree. Of course, it would still be hard for the average church-goer to tell the difference between those PhDs earned from legitimate schools or bought at degree mills with precious little work. A man who would stick an honorary Dr. in front of his name might be happy buying that title too.

14. TomMann

TomMann New Member

Am I the only one who thinks such foolish questions are unprofitable and vain?

15. Pete

Pete New Member

Doctorates.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dunno if Jesus would accept one...Either way I still call Him "Lord" and everyone else "mate" :D

16. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I think the idea is that an individual may have, over the period of say 30, 40 years or so of his life, through his studies, writing books, seromons, articles and teaching others could earn the equivilent of a doctorate. Agree?

17. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Am I the only one who thinks such foolish questions are unprofitable and vain?"

You mean kinda like II Tim. 2.23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

or

Titus 3.9 But avoid foolish questions , and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

[​IMG]

Not sure He had a problem with Doctors of His own time. Luke 2.46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.

:rolleyes:

18. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Tom,

Do you have an honorary doctorate? Does your pastor have one?

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I agree. Of course, it would still be hard for the average church-goer to tell the difference between those PhDs earned from legitimate schools or bought at degree mills with precious little work. A man who would stick an honorary Dr. in front of his name might be happy buying that title too. </font>[/QUOTE]Hey! I just found out in one ad that showed up on the computer when I was on this BB site that I could have another doctorate added in a week (complete with a transcript) to my own resume (What? You don't think my COWS would be impressed??), for the 'SMALL' sum of only $599. I'm IMPRESSED!!

Uh, NOT!!

In His grace,
    Ed

Ed Sutton; B.A.(hcl); N.D.
    The N.D. is from S.B.P., by the way.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. Of course, it would still be hard for the average church-goer to tell the difference between those PhDs earned from legitimate schools or bought at degree mills with precious little work. A man who would stick an honorary Dr. in front of his name might be happy buying that title too. </font>[/QUOTE]There are those who have.