1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would Life Anywhere But on Earth, Shatter Your Faith?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Aug 13, 2012.

?
  1. Never, nada, no way....

19 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I would have to reconsider all I once believed in...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I just don't know...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. It would throw a spiritual "monkey wrench" into the things many of us believe...

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. I know in whom I believe, and that will never change!

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  7. It would make things quite interesting on this board...

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  8. See my comments....

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should life suddenly manifest itself, either on Mars or in the form of an extra-terrestrial visitor, shatter your faith? :type:

2. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

really?....REALLY?

I already believe in extra-terrestrial beings...they're called fallen angels,demons...those that rebelled against God along with Lucifer and were cast out of heaven. I also believe in the heavenly holy angels who are in the very presence of God and who watch over us, His children. All the world has is science FICTION!! We got the REAL DEAL! Praise God! They're like the air I breath...I don't have to see them to know they are real because God's Word SAYS THEY ARE!! Nasa will never find what they are looking for through the eyes of flesh OR any "rover" they want to waste our tax dollars on! That said...I do think the technology they are using is pretty cool even if all those photos will only continue to come back void of any evidence of any life form. IT is amazing what God has equipped the mind and hands of man to achieve and HE deserves all the credit. The Word of God and all the things contained therein ARE REALITY and are true! We need to spend all our time,talents,money and effort doing all we can to win as many to Christ as we possibly can, Lord willing, before He returns. That is far more important. Don't you think?

Bro.Greg

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

The Bible doesn't record all that Jesus said and did while on earth. Why wouldn't the same apply to what the Godhead has done, both here on earth and in the heavens?

If we have the Holy Spirit in our hearts, why should it matter what "discoveries" mankind makes in space? If there are other life forms in existence, God created them for His purposes. If not, then He didn't have a purpose for them. If some organic combination is found that could indicate the possibility of life on Mars (or elsewhere), what will mankind do with that knowledge? Glorify God or ourselves?

Perhaps, the real question should be is mankind attempting to build another Tower of Babel that uses rocket boosters instead of bricks and mortar?

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Would Life Beyond Out Planet Shatter or Change Your Faith?

Why should it? In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth...

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would show what we should already know. We do not and never will know all there is to know about God. I would find it wonderful if there were other beings and intelligent beings in the universe. Wow, that would be so interesting.

What if earth was the only planet among millions of planets with intelligent life that rebelled against God?

6. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

This is the second time I have heard this statement in regards to our space exploration program. (I was going to say that this is the second you've said it, but I am not 100% positive the other one was you; I didn't look it up to make sure.) But the tower of Babel and this aren't even a comparison.

The tower of Babel's biggest flaw was that it was an attempt to build a huge city in one location that would keep people together, against the command of God to fill the Earth. The second was an assumed pride issue, where the tower stood for a monument to mankind's prowess. If you take it literally, then the third is that they were trying to build a tower to Heaven, but I think it's rather that they wre just saying it would be a tower that would reach the heavens (sky), and there wasn't anything wrong with that in and of itself.

The space exploration program is a quest for knowledge (so far, a fruitless quest). It is just a natural extension of people looking up at the stars and wondering what they are. In fact, if we were to somehow terraform a planet and start habitating it, I would take that as an extended obedience of the command to fill the Earth. We've done that, now in the spirit of the command, continue to expand.

On the subject of the OP: No, it wouldn't shake my faith at all. If life exists elsewhere, then God created it to be there, and it does not change the fact that He told us how to get to Heaven, and the rules that we are to live our life by. Nothing in scripture is nullified if we happen to find life (even sentient life) elsewhere.

#6 Sapper Woody, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
  7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What ever natural organic or inorganic material is out there, in there, down there, an up there ...... well, God created it.

Why should it destroy my faith in Him?

It would only destroy the person who has put their faith one-fourth in God, one-fourth in their limited view of Him, and two-fourths in their unfounded traditions/opinions concerning Him.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF UFO were proven to be real, and that other sentience life was in universe...

I do NOT see them as being sinless, so would they have their incarnation of God called "gloop" instead of yeshua?

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have no problem believing life exists outside this world.

The challenge is whether it is intelligent life.

I've said this before and I wish people would take it seriously:

Since we've been able to locate ideal "goldilocks" planets for life in our universe we know how far they are from us. If we were to build a space ship, using existing technology, and head towards the nearest of those systems it would take about 3,000 years to reach them. So I think we can admit that this kind of option is not available. Neither is it realistic to assume that they have reached us. Thus it is not feasible to think that intelligent life (if it exists) is accessible in the universe.

However, if intelligent life exists in the universe there is no reason to think they aren't under the same revelation of God...or judgment. If God is great enough to create life here, why not there? And why not provide redemption for them (if they've fallen) through their appropriate means? (CS Lewis used this line of argumentation when asked at one point)

10. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Just because I don't believe God put intelligent life on any other planet, that doesn't mean He couldn't. It would not change what I believe. While I believe that God could have created life on other planets, I'm not convinced that He did.

The one thing that would shake my faith (as small as it is) is ghosts. If they existed and could be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, then that would seriously put doubts in my mind about heaven and hell since I believe that we go to one of those two places depending on whether or not we are born again. However, I don't expect that to happen.

#10 Jon-Marc, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
  11. mandym

mandym New Member

It isn't going to so it matters not.

12. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh:It sounds as if we've been invaded by a bunch of Star Trek-ing day dreamers, doesn't it? Way to tell it like it is! :laugh::smilewinkgrin: j/k

13. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love Your Thoughts....

:wavey::thumbsup::applause:

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If there was intellegeant life elsewhere - would there have to be another Calvary?

15. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What if there was? How does it matter?

Humanity (i.e. homo sapien) is redeemed by Christ. Why can't another race of God's creation that is beyond this terrestrial realm have their own atonement? Would they not be created in God's image with their own revelation?

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF the lord had incarnated unto other worlds, as a Saviour unto other races...

Would there be multiple versions of Him in heaven, a jesus for man, another one for martians etc?

So multiple Ones would be in heaven, each one to judge each race there?

17. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

18. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not necessarily...no. I don't think so. Maybe they are intelligent, but not possessed of freedom of will. Maybe they have both, but never fell. Maybe they have intelligence, and freedom of will, and they also "fell", but the conditions for "atonement" are not the same. Maybe the "shedding of blood" was not what God required from them specifically for remission of sin. We cannot know. We only know what he required of US....and subsequently, what He Chose to do for US, in accordance with how He loved us, and what he has chosen to do with us.

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet, we are given an account of creation which includes a foundational promise with divine purpose.

You believe there could be a Calvinist type of creation? Really?!? :( Nah, I don’t think such a thing fits God’s attributes and character whether here or somewhere else.

Darn, that Adam and Eve for messing everything up here!!! Darn the luck! Making all of us suffer and putting that burden on Jesus, God's One and Only, when our creation could have been trouble free and saved Him all that trouble!

And maybe God sacrificed His Only Cow or something to atone for His other image baring creatures… ;)

Maybe God had another pattern of things such as lawless rules that weren’t really that important and didn’t need any of that remission stuff that included sacrificing His Son in such a barbarian way as to use His blood? Maybe they sacrifice leaves and grass or rocks or something. :tongue3:

And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us: Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
    (Heb 9:22-26)

Right, I suppose anything is possible as truth is relative and all…and for all we know God likes to create several images of Himself with other purposes like just watching them build things like we watching ants or something. "Maybe they are intelligent, but not possessed of freedom of will." Hey! or better yet robot creatures!!! ...LOL...Or He has another means of sacrificing His Son…or hey, maybe He doesn’t really even have to go through all that messy blood stuff and just had a special bloody point to make just for US.:confused:

#19 Benjamin, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
  20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Are you making fun of my user name?? LOL I once had a poster (now banned) that accused me of worshiping the god of Saturn and Neptune. It is just a hobby to get out the telescope and look at the planets.

Back to the op, no, it would not shake my faith one bit. There is no evidence in the Bible we are alone on the earth. If there is life out there, God created it for His purposes. How He would deal with sin on that world or other aspects, I am sure He can figure out like He did with us.

Of course, there will always be those who believe that the earth is the center of the universe and is flat, that winged dragons fly at night, etc.... Maybe they are from the planet that is between the two planets in my name.