1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would this be posible

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dewey Sturgell, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Dewey Sturgell

Dewey Sturgell New Member

If by Grace through faith are you saved not of our works but by the works of GOD in us which he does by the pleasure of his will to make a vessel unto honor and one unto dishonor . Does this leave us to believe that he could or would make a true believer a saved and sealed soul to be obedient or make one unto being disobedient ??

#1 Dewey Sturgell, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a number of ways one might misinterpret what you mean, so why not try rephrasing the post for clarification ?

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

what a question for a first post.

4. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

I don't thank you know that God loves his children.

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Charles, I'm not saying this to be nit-picky about spelling, because I usually couldn't care less. But you might want to be careful to spell "think" as "think" if you can. You often say "thank" when you mean "think" and I find it really confusing. "Thank" is what you do when you give thanks, or say "thank you". It makes it harder to read your posts when you say "thank" but really mean "think". Maybe it's just me, but maybe others have the same trouble.

6. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What does God's Word say?

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Us northerners have a good idear what he thanks.

Rob

8. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Yes you are!!! Charles, keep spelling it that way, he's just fooling around.

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

LOL!, I actually love a good southern accent. I even enjoy the joke, "Why's mah finger like a lemon pie? Mah rang's on it!"

But I get confused by the "thank" thing. If nobody else does, then just ignore me. I'll adapt. ;)

10. charles_creech78

I think you need to thank God for this.:laugh: :laugh:

11. mmetts

mmetts New Member

OP:
    We could benefit from studying Abraham on this matter. One "might" tend to lean toward faith being a lifelong demonstration of following God in trust. Not a single transaction for salvation.

Of course, that's "one's" view. Not necessarily mine own. I have much more studying to do. I was in Romans 4 last night and was trying to understand what the Holy Spirit was speaking through the Apostle Paul, who, in his writing, talks about Abraham and David, and their contributions to faith. Each contribution gives us a different perspective on righteousness through faith.

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I will! Speaking of the south, my favorite place in this country is your home state of North Carolina. I'll be moving next week to another town in Texas, and I like it here, but I'll always miss NC. Sorry for the derailment. Back to the thread.

13. charles_creech78

I love it to. It was hot today. 100.s today.

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I was watching the soccer team practice at 3:30 in the 100+ degree heat and very grateful I coach the MATH team :laugh:

15. Dewey Sturgell

Dewey Sturgell New Member

would this be possible

This is to all the viewers who have commented on my question of the disobedient believer? If we read the book of job where GOD let down the hedges that surounded job so that satin could have access to Jobs flesh and not his soul ,he still didnt kneel down to satin and his effflection and deny God for all that he is to him in his life. But if we go forward to the grace of God in the new testament we read where some of the childern of God because of there own fleshly desires they fall prey to sin being waxed cold and also the brothern tell us when they commit so sins of high degree to turn them over to satan for the destruction of the flesh but thier souls to be saved in the final day . so could we think that God that know all thinks could have kept them from this terrible fate of thier lives , i believe so, but he let them go into thier own ways because of thier own lust not withstanding that God isnt capable of keeping them,but it makes me wonder why that an all powerful and all knowing God lets such things happen to his childern in this new testament knowing that God is able to keep all under subjection to his will if it was to his pleasure, so God letting them to go thier own ways leaves me to think that they were made to walk in the ways of disobedience so that the others that stay steadfast to the ways of Jesus Christ may see that God is thier keeper and could let them fall into disobedience as well.

16. charles_creech78

Job 1:1 There was a MAN in the land of uz, whose name was JOB; and that MAN WAS PERFECT AND UPRIGHT, AND one that FEARED GOD, and eschewed EVIL. Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of GOD came to present themselves before the lord, and satan came also among them. Job 1:7 And the LORD said unto satan, Whence comest thou? then satan answered the LORD, and said, from going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. job 1:8 And the Lord said unto satan, hast thou considered my servant JOB, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth GOD, and eschewth evil? Job 1:9 Then satan answered the LORD, and said, doth JOB fear GOD for nought? Job 1:10 Hast not thou made an hedge about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands and his substance is increased in the land. job 1:11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face. Job 1:12 And the lord said unto satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So satan went forth from the presence of the LORD. As we all know that sabeans fell upon his family and took them all away and all his goods where taken away. Job 1:20 Then Job arose, and rent his mantle and shaved his head, and fall down upon the ground, and worshipped, Job 1:21 And said, naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the lord. Job 1:22 In all this JOB sinned not, nor charged GOD foolishly. Job 42:10 And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave JOB twice as much as he had before. Job 42:12 So the LORD blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning: for he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses. Job 42:13 He had also seven sons and tree daughters. Job After this lived Job an hundred and forty years, and saw his sons, and his sons' sons, even four generations. Job 42:17 So Job died, being old and full of days. Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were SEALED with that holy Spirit of promise, Heb 12:6 For whom the LORD loveth he chasteneth and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. Heb 12:7 If ye ender chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? Heb 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement whereof all are partakers, then are ye basterds, and not sons. 1 Co 11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the LORD, that we should not be condemned with the world. Heb 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

17. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

No it means that the church has taught some very bad doctrine. This commes by teaching that someone can backslide into sin again which scripture says cannot happen.

1John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

18. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Not really sure what your question means. Are you asking if the verse about honour and dishonour means that some of the sinners God saves, He makes obedient, and others that He saves, He makes disobedient? If so, my answer would be no.

The verse you are thinking of is (I imagine) Romans 9.21:

21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honour and another for dishonour?​

But the context of those words shows that Paul was not writing about some people being saved for honour and some for dishonour. Rather, he is writing about the reason God saves some sinners and not other sinners. We see that in the previous few verses, Romans 9.13-20:

13 As it is written, "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated."
    14 ¶ What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not!
    15 For He says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion."
    16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.
    17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth."
    18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.
    19 You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?"
    20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, "Why have you made me like this?"​

If I have misunderstood your question, please forgive me.

19. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God!
    How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! (Romans 11:33 ESV)

We don’t always have to understand his ways;
    we should always revel in his grace.
    Remember righteous Lot (2 Peter 2:7)

Rob

20. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Amen brother, I was waiting for this answer to come out! :applause: