1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would this be tithing?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will your church provide funds for Bible tracts?
    If you are a member, then you have a voice in the finances of your SBC church. Have you spoken to the pastor or members of the finance committee?

Does your church share your vision of evangelism? If not, you may want to consider joining another church which emphasis evangelism in a way that you do.

2. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I'll echo others that have said "no" this is not a tithe. But since we are not required to tithe it is irrelevant.

Should you give to the church? Of course. The church has needs (bills, salaries etc) and as a member of the church you ought to help meet those needs, but giving to the church is not compulsory.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I believe in the tithe, but both what i and others believe about it is irrelevant to the question.

Your giving to the church does more than just your style of ministry. It goes for benevolence for needy people. It goes to purchase SS and Bible study material.. It goes to pay for AC in the summer and heat in the winter. Depending on your church, it goes to missionaries throughout the world. It pays for staff to administer and to minister. I think you ought to give to the general fund of the church and use an offering for your own ministry.

But more than that, you ought to be a member of a church with which you can agree.

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never-mind your sarcastic comments about tracts, but my church situation is complicated. I have made no waves at the church and do not hate or dislike anyone. Its just I do not feel I am all that connected with them or that I am fed and taught there enough to give a tithe. But since my spouse has been going there for many years and pretty much the only church she went to after she left Buddaism I am stuck there for the moment. I have been around the block and have experienced lots of different styles and types of churches so there are plenty I have given lots too and some I wont give a dime. She has not had this experience.

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey congrats on the marriage! When did you get married?

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a member nor do I get involved in their ministries. I do attend there, have gone to picnics, and such, but only by default as I did not choose this church. My spouse went there after she left Buddaism and this is pretty much the only church she has experienced and so she has not been in different churches as I have. I have created no waves and they do not preach heresy so for the moment I am stuck there.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a member and dont plan on becoming one. However they do not preach heresy and so I have created no waves.

8. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

OK. I see above that this is where your wife attends. If that's the case, and they aren't teaching heresy, then why not become a member? I see in your reply to CTB that you do not feel 'connected or fed' there. I understand that, but let me ask you this - not trying to be sarcastic or a jerk at all, dead serious right now - Have you made the effort to connect to the church?

And you may not feel 'fed' from every message. That's not necessarily the point of church. You go to be around and fellowship with other believers, to be built up together and equipped and encouraged to spread the gospel. Some days you won't get fed, maybe the pastor has an off day or he's preaching on something you already have a firm grasp on. That's OK. We can't here the Gospel or the 'basics' too many times. :) However, if it's a consist, every week problem then you have an issue that can only be resolved by discussion with the elder/pastor or even leaving.

My wife and I had a similar problem. We were in an IFB church (I had been there for a year already when we were married) and had to leave despite our connections. The pastor I honestly believe wanted to serve God, but the doctrinal differences became too much. I wouldn't go quite so far to say that heresy was taught, but much of their theology was certainly in error. Also, like you, we weren't being fed because 90% of the messages were life-applicable self-help messages with 0% theological depth.

9. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Evangelist,

If you feel that the Lord is impressing upon your heart to buy and pass out tracts, then you be obedient to the Lord.

We are to be His witnesses. If tracts helps us to witness, then we should use them. Some people are better at saying what they want on paper than articulating the same message by mouth.

We are not told to tithe in the Bible. Monetary tithing is a man-made doctrine that came about long after the last Apostle (John) died.

According to Ephesians 2:14 & 15, the ordinances written in the Law were abolished. Don't let anyone lie to you and tell you that you must tithe... it isn't Scriptural.

Use the money for what you feel God wants you to do with it.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did I ever say that God requires the tithe? I didn't.

But look at the OPs reasoning. If one questions how a church spends it's money, then there is a problem. They need to find a church that they will support after leaving the church they don't trust. But don't attend a church and take your money elsewhere. That's wrong.

11. Steadfast Fred

Where does the Bible say one is to give money to the Church one attends?

1 Corinthians 16? That is not a collection for the local Church, but for a Church of another region.

Yes, bills do need to be paid. But when it gets to the point that one says people must give here or there, something is seriously wrong.

They are demonstrating a reliance on man more than faith toward God who promised to meet all our need.

The fact is, whether you want to admit it or not, that the majority of pastors that teach their congregation a monetary tithe teach them that God requires that tithe. To strengthen their demand, (yes, I said demand, because subtly, that is what it is) they use Malachi 3:8-10 and God's command to the Aaronic Priests to bring the tithe into the storehouse.

God never instructed the Gentiles to build a storehouse to house tithes. That is a man-made doctrine. God never told the children of Israel to take tithes to the Temple. The Levites were to take the tithe to the Temple. The Priest was to lift the tithe as a Heave offering before God, and the Priest then took the tithe into the chambers of the storehouse.

12. Steadfast Fred

The SBC teaches its members to tithe and uses Malachi 3:8-10 as their argument that their members are to tithe. It is in their Baptist Faith & Message Stewardship section.

They do not use the word "tithe" in the article, but the implication is clearly there when they use Malachi 3:8-10 in the reference to one being a faithful steward.

I have never been in an IFB, SBC, Pentecostal, Charismatic, or any other denomination Church where they did not use Malachi 3's passage to push their monetary tithe doctrine. And I have been in plenty over the years.

13. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's not confuse the issue here. No matter ones view on tithing, in no way is purchasing tracts for your own use the same thing as giving to the local church. If someone feels they should purchase tract to pass out then by all means do that. But that should not be done in place of giving to the church.

In my personal opinion if you attend a church on a regular basis regardless of the circumstances you should give to that church. If it is not a church you feel comfortable giving to then you should find a different church to attend.

14. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

[personal attack snipped. Rather than attack the integrity of people you don't even know, feel free to leave the BB discussion.]

#34 HisWitness, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013
  15. Steadfast Fred

In your first post in this thread, you made two statements that tell me you use Malachi 3 also.

You said that a "tithe is to support the local Church," and " don't steal from your local Church."

Now, while you followed with the statement that you "do not believe a 10% tithe is mandatory," you teach that not tithing is stealing.

Appears you are using Malachi 3 to me. That is the only place in the Bible where one is said to be stealing if they don't tithe.

#35 Steadfast Fred, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013
  16. Steadfast Fred

HisWitness,
    Get off of your self-righteous hobby horse.

You don't keep God's Commandments, so don't go around accusing others of not keeping them.

Get the beam out of your eye.

17. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

now hes trying to justify himself in the condemnation of another person---when he made the cooments his self-----:tear::tear::tear:

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you talked to her about this? Or is this an issue of who is the head of the home. (so I dont go off OP......) I have started a new thread.

Why not?

19. Steadfast Fred

I am justified in the sight of God. How you see and condemn me does not affect my standing with God one bit.

God's Word says the Gentile Converts were not to be put under the Mosaic Law. You can try to accuse and condemn me all you want, but with what measure you judge, you yourself are judged.

20. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

I didn't condemn you--I just quoted what you said from your own fingers that typed the message---I can post it here if you would like--to prove they were your very own words---NOT MINE !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.