1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you accept a divorced and remarried minister?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Matt Black, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

(Presuming his first wife hadn't ended their marriage by her adultery)

[ETA - OK, how do I do the whole poll thing? I just want one with a yes or no answer on it. Thanks!]

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt,
    I started a poll for you. CLICK HERE FOR POLL

Salty

ps, sorry, I'm just not a yes/no man - for the most part:type:

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Since I'm twice divorced, I couldn't very well judge anyone else for that could I? Of course, it might depend on why he's divorced. I divorced my first wife on adultery after she told me "I won't change." My second wife divorced me because I wasn't perfect like her. I have no intention of marrying again.

4. MorganT

MorganT New Member

My simple answer is NO he is not qualified to be a Pastor/Elder/Minister. The word of God is very clear in 1 Timothy verse 2. The bible says the husband of 1 wife.

1Ti 3:1-7 Faithful is the Word: If anyone reaches out to overseership, he desires a good work. (2) Then it behooves the overseer to be without reproach, husband of one wife, temperate, sensible, well-ordered, hospitable, apt at teaching, (3) not a drunkard, not contentious, not greedy of ill gain, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous, (4) ruling his own house well, having children in subjection with all honor. (5) (For if a man does not know to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) (6) not a novice, lest being puffed up he may fall into the condemnation of the Devil. (7) But he must also have a good report from those on the outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the Devil.

Then we move on to Titus
    Tit 1:5-9 For this cause I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed you, (6) if anyone is blameless, husband of one wife, having believing children, not accused of loose behavior, or disobedient. (7) For an overseer must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not full of passion, not given to wine, not quarrelsome, not greedy for ill gain; (8) but hospitable, a lover of good, discreet, just, holy, temperate, (9) holding fast the faithful Word according to the doctrine, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and to convict the gainsayers.

Verse 6 again says blameless and then husband of one wife. Could a man be blameless if he has been divorced and remarried. Then again in verse 7 it says it again blameless as a steward of God.

Im sure there will be people who disagree with me but these verses mean first and foremost A MAN not a woman A MAN and one that is married to the woman whom he married before God and made a life commitment before GOD. Any other woman besides the woman whom he married origianlly would disquailify him in my eyes.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Paul meant to include divorced men, why did he not include the word divorce in the verse?

Do you also believe that a man is required to have children to be a pastor.

Does the Bible forbid a single man from being a pastor?

6. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Paul did write that if your spouse leaves you because of your faith you are no longer under bondage (I'm too lazy right now to look up the reference).

Good question on the marriage/chilren thing. I think a pastor must have a wife and children as stated in 1 Tim 3. But i know I am in the minority. So call me strange, but I do think there are conditions that a pastor acn be divorced and do not think a single man or childless man can Pastor.

7. MorganT

MorganT New Member

I believe it to be just like it says, so yes Married and Father. That is what the Bible says and I stand firm on what it says. It makes no difference at all how I feel about it or what I would like it to say. It is what it is. I find no room to wiggle.:godisgood:

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it difficult to apply rigidity to a position to the point at which Jesus himself would not meet the qualifications of leadership in his own church.

9. MorganT

MorganT New Member

We are not talking about Jesus hear now are we. We are talking about what the word of God says about the qualification are for a Pastor/Minister/Elder. Its spelled out in Black and white but yet you want to twist it for some reason. I believe that the word of God is perfect and if its crystal clear as it is here then we should follow it to the letter. This is specific in nature.

Tit 1:5-6 For this cause I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed you, (6) if anyone is blameless, husband of one wife, having believing children, not accused of loose behavior, or disobedient.

Tell me now, just how you can wiggle yourself around what this says. If you can twist these scriptures then you can twist anything in the bible to say what YOU want it to say. I for one see this crystal clear and dont even understand why this even need be discussed personally. ITS CLEAR to ME

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly hope you greet the brothers with a holy kiss.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if a man is a pastor - with a wife and a son - both of whom are killed in a car crash - is he still qualified to be a pastor since he is no longer a father and husband?
    I'm not triying to be funny here, just trying to clarify.

12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Thanks for that!

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

What if they can't have children? What if they're recently married and are deferring starting a family but nevertheless apply for the post of pastor at your church?

14. MorganT

MorganT New Member

Just because they died doesnt mean that they didnt exist. He is still a husband and father. I had a son that died, I still have a son, he is just in heaven with Jesus right now.

15. MorganT

MorganT New Member

So its everyones thought that they can make excuses for the word of God, this is interesting. The word of God is what it is, so I guess you guys want to rewrite it to say what you want. WOW

16. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible clearly mentions that marriage does not survive death. If your wife dies, you are no longer the husband of one wife.

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I for one am just SHOCKED that some are approving a man with just one child being a pastor.

Its spelled out in Black and white. It says child-ren, NOT child. Why are you wanting to twist it? Words mean things. Ren means more than one. I believe we should follow the word of God to the letter. Stop wiggling around what the Bible says! Saying it means just a father and not a father of child-ren!, shame! I don't even understand why this even need to be discussed. Isnt it crystal clear what child-ren means? Interesting, seems like you are making excuses for the word of God. It is what it is and it is here. You guys are rewriting it to say what you want. HALLELUJAH it is clear to me! Amen.

#17 Jerome, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  18. Matt Black

Site Supporter

No, I asked a question - which you haven't answered. While I'm waiting, I'll ask another one: what does "children" mean? Does it mean - as Jerome has said - two or more? Does it mean offspring of any age or minors? If the latter, is a person disqualified from being a pastor when his youngest child reaches 18? Or if his child dies before reaching the age of 18?

19. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

One thing about Paul is that he often expressed his own opinion. He often used the phrases "I would" or I would not". That sounds to me like it's just his personal preference and not necessarily from God. After all, we can't take everything in the Bible as words from God. If we could, then that would mean we should believe the devil's words to Eve where he basically called God a liar.

20. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Everyone is missing the point. Paul says that they must have a wife and children to demonstrate they can manage the church because if they can not manage the family they can not manage the church. If the wife and child have died, they still have demonstrated the ability that Paul and scripture are applying. I'ss stick behind MorganT on this one. I'm not sure he has the correct understanding but he does have the correct application.