1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you allow a woman to lay hands on you?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    So, if I don't believe 'laying on of hands' (doctrinally, denominationally, even liturgically, even sacramentally), then I worship what my preacher tells me more than I do God, and am a follower of man rather than Christ? Then so be it in your eyes, I couldn't for what your judgement is worth, care less. I only know, it is arrogant and phony, to a sickening point so hypocritical.
    I tell you what I believe is the Gospel truth for today, that one is saved and healed by faith alone and not by the laying on of hands - which is not for today nun ist's Schluss!

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Why, thank you.

Call me back when you learn the difference between saying "I don't beleive in/feel comfortable with the laying on of hands froma doctrinal standpoint," which is a statement of personal belief, and "laying on of hands passed away because the Apostles are dead," which is a statement attacking the doctrine of others.

Discern that, and you'll have the insight to call someone else "arrogant."

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You fail to see that the "laying on of hands" is an act of showing one's faith. :tear:

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    It's exactly what I have discerned.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Precisely! "Do you have faith, keep it to / for yourself!" One's faith if true faith isn't paraded, made a show with.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I see no where in Scripture where it says that laying on of hands is outdated for believers today, so I will do it. Jesus did it, I will do it. The Apostles did it, I will do it. Believers have been doing it for thousands of years, I will do it. I follow God, not what's 'comfortable' for me. :thumbs:

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It is not a show to do what Jesus told us to do. He said to pray, is that a show too? If you do not believe in the "laying on of hands" then you don't have the faith in "laying on of hands". The laying on of hands has no power in it but Jesus as in prayer sees and hears and if its in faith believing He grants it.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, no qualifiers...Jesus didn't seem to have a problem with a women washing his feet with her hair

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If ever arrogance! Man, you're so good you can give both Jesus and the Apostles a go at their own best!

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus said we should pray; He never "commanded" us to lay hands on. He also said pray on your closet; but no one cares about laying hands in his closet. But you simply distort my view on LOOH. I don't deny it as it was for the Apostles; I only say it's not for the likes of you and me who are followers of Jesus and the the Apostles - we have no right to claim their prerogatives.

And then lastly this usurping of Apostolic authority has never been witnessed but under a cloud of suspicion of various haughty claims.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Try and talk nice, it Christmas time. I do believe its for now in the NT. If you don't that is your perrogative.

James 5:
    : But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.
    13: Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.
    14: Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
    15: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
    16: Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

So he was speaking to the tribes of Israel but it was not the apostles but the Elders who are to lay hands on the sick. Jesus first said go ye to the twelve tribes of Israel and then after they went there and Jesus died and arose He sent them out again. It don't say, He gave them a different message but said now "go ye into all the world and preach His Gospel of which He had just taught them. He didn't take them up on the mountain again and give them a different message. If you want to be in the dark, so be it. Me and my house will walk in the light and serve the Lord. Do you sir, believe in "Elders" in the church today?

#71 Brother Bob, Dec 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2006
  12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The apostles raised the dead, too. Do you believe we do that today?

What Jesus and the Apostles did does not necessarily extend to us. The letters to the churches do not talk about laying on of hands except for ordination, and the use of putting on oil by the elders (all men) for prayer for the sick.

I am not saying women cannot touch people as they pray for them; we are specifically talking about "the laying on of hands" in the context of the NT instructions and what that meant: ordination.

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Hbr 6:2Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

This scripture is not talking about raising the dead but the doctrine of the resurrection and eternal judgment, along with gifts of laying on of hands and doctrine of baptisms.

It said to call the Elders, the "laying on of hands" is a gift and I don't think its talking about ordaining someone all the time. We know we can't raise the dead but we don't jump in a fiery furnance either but we do still practice baptisms too. Anyway, its talking about the "doctrine" of the resurrection of the dead which is yet to come and also the eternal judgment which is yet to come. Baptisms and laying on of hands was there then and now and until there is none left to baptize or lay hands on, then will come the resurrection and eternal judgment.

#73 Brother Bob, Dec 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2006
  14. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

On Scarlett, I agree with you in this context. I simply deny that elders or anyone else, (women included) are so empowered that they can affect healing, supernaturally, through laying on of hands. To touch, hold and pray for someone as you describe is great.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, if you don't believe in it then I don't think you will ever have to worry about someone asking you to lay hands on them and ask God to heal them.

You know, God knows what we stand in need of before we ever ask, but He still wants us to ask in faith believing.

If you don't believe then just don't worry about it.

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BB:
    "So he was speaking to the tribes of Israel but it was not the apostles but the Elders who are to lay hands on the sick. Jesus first said go ye to the twelve tribes of Israel and then after they went there and Jesus died and arose He sent them out again. It don't say, He gave them a different message but said now "go ye into all the world and preach His Gospel of which He had just taught them. He didn't take them up on the mountain again and give them a different message. If you want to be in the dark, so be it. Me and my house will walk in the light and serve the Lord. Do you sir, believe in "Elders" in the church today?"

GE:

That's just the difference, imperceptable to you: There were the elders appointed by the Apostles, and there are the elders appointed by ordinary believers like us.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You lack a belief in God being able to not change, being the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. If we are Elders, we are His Elders, the same as if we are saved we are His children the same as they were.
    What you think, everything changed when the Apostles died? God don't change!
    Where in the Bible do you think we should start, Rev:?

#77 Brother Bob, Dec 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2006
  18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then how would you interpret Romans 10:14 "How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?"

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Where does it say only Apostles have the gift of healing hands?

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

John 16:24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.
    --God answers prayer. Period. He rebuked His disciples for not praying, and not praying in His name. The oil and the laying on of hands is not necessary for God to hear prayer--anyone's prayer. Why get hung up on this? God answers prayer whether or not the person is brought before the church and the elders of the church lay hands on him and anoint him with oil. Surely I hope you believe that God answers prayer.

Jeremiah 33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.