1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you have attended this Christian / Muslim picnic?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Aug 19, 2008.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

So you think we should run from false teaching instead of confronting error?

I guess I am just amazed at the trend towards total disengagement from the lost. I have a hard time seeing that in "go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature."

2. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

A group of Christians fellowshipping with a group of Muslims? What's not to see? Whether it is stated or not, it is still obvious that the distinction between the two groups is faith, and it must have been even more obvious to the ones attending.

And no, the vast majority of folks today embrace ecumenism and would never point out that Islam is a false religion, so the article would be politically incorrect to state this.....but it is still the truth whether it is stated or not.

AJ

3. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I would think this would normally be obvious.
    Amen.

How can we expect unbelievers to want to listen to us if we will refrain from any act of goodwill toward them just because they are not Christians?

That makes no sense.

#43 Darron Steele, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  4. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I doubt it. Jesus came to the nation of Israel to, in part, warn them of coming judgement and to invite them corporately to turn to a different way of being Israel. So when Jesus fellowshipped with sinners, He was telling Israel to abandon their isolationism (by doing Torah and remaining separate from the pagans) and to embrace a new way of "being Israel" - the way set forth in Luke 16:

But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you.
    32"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. 33And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. 34And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. 35But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful

You don't love your enemies by separating yourself from them and refusing to fellowship with them.

It is true that Jesus spoke to individuals. But we should not forget that He was sent to the "house of Israel" as a whole.

5. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

And I am amazed at the trend towards ecumenism.

According to this article, the purpose of the picnic was to fellowship with people of "another culture" to gain understanding.

I have no problem loving lost people, and I have no problem with witnessing to them, but I have no need or desire to embrace Islam or understand it. And I surely have no desire to expose my child to false doctrine.

Witnessing to Muslims is biblical, embracing and understanding their culture is not.

But Saddleback embraces ecumenism and this picnic is typical of Rick Warren's "accept everybody" teachings.

We had a similar debate in our church recently over the acceptance of gays. We decided that gays were welcome to come and hear the gospel, and that we would actively witness to them. But, we will not accept a practicing unrepentent gay as a member, nor will we go to any gay functions that they invite us to. I see the same principles here in the case of this picnic. Invite the Muslims to hear about your faith, but dont give them a chance to influence you or your children with their faith.

AJ

6. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Huh?

The word "fellowship" in Christian language is to share company on the basis of our common service and loyalty to Jesus Christ and membership in His church. The ecumenical movement is intended to combine all Christian denominations into one religious organization.

I do not see any effort at such fellowship in the article. I do not see any effort to combine Christianity and Islam and move adherents into one religious organization.

Here is what I do see:

“The goal was to use this opportunity to learn about the culture of our Muslim neighbors and their life stories, and to reach out with a caring hand,”

"Volunteers expressed anticipation about uniting two different cultures and were excited about the purpose and goals for the event" -- uniting two different cultures, and not religions.

“Our aim for this day was to celebrate community and build bridges of respect, friendship, and appreciation,” -- as in respect and appreciation for the people, not the religion.

“I think it’s important to get to know people who are different than us and to make an effort to learn about other cultures,” volunteer Julie Jevremov said. “This shows respect, love, humility, and helps to build a bridge for other opportunities in the future. We might not agree with different people’s worldviews, but we still need to reach out in love.”

"The goal of mutual understanding, fun, and relationship building became a reality,” said Harper. `This picnic may be the beginning of a tradition for years to come and a model for other communities in the future.'" "Mutual understanding" does not mean agreement.

#46 Darron Steele, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

...amen - lets make sure our kids never have to deal with lost people while they are young. That way when they get older they can run off to their little enclaves and never have to defend their faith.

8. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely not!! I wouldn't have a picnic with Hindus either. Or Jews.

And don't even think about having a picnic with Catholics, since we know that they're not really Christians anyway. BTW, include Episcopalians and Lutherans with the Catholics since they're almost Catholic anyway. No picnic for you!

No picnics with Methodists, Congreationalists or Presbyterians either -- they are way too liberal. Most aren't even real Christians. You know some of them even drink. Some Pentacostals might be fine, as long as they promise not to speak in tongues. Make sure they use the KJV though, OK? If not, no picnic for you either.

Well, I guess we'll just have a to eat by ourselves...