1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would You Help "Them"?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by idonthavetimeforthis, Feb 3, 2012.

1. idonthavetimeforthis

Since there are so many arguments...er...discussions going on about Arminianism & Calvinism it got me thinking...

If you as an Arminian (or your church) had an opportunity to unite for a specific cause with an Calvinist person (or church) would you do so? If so, for what type of causes - political, social, spiritual? Or would you say, "No way!" If so, why?

If you as a Calvinist (or your church) had an opportunity to unite for a specific cause with an Arminian person (or church) would you do so? If so, for what type of causes - political, social, spiritual? Or would you say, "No way!" If so, why?

If you as a person who shuns labels had an opportunity to unite for a specific cause with an Arminian or Calvinist person (or church) would you do so? If so, for what type of causes - political, social, spiritual? Or would you say, "No way!" If so, why?

And when I say "unite" I don't mean join their church; rather, I mean would you go hand-in-hand with them for whatever the cause.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Doesn't matter to me - why would it?

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I can and do minister along side Calvinists, non-Cal, and 'label shunners' all the time. My brother and my best friend both disagree with me on some of these matters but we do missions and ministry together regularly.

4. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

My church has a mission, we accept everyone....even you

We dont care if you are Baptist/Reformed/Arminan/heathern/ Catholic/ whatever.

If you come to our door, you will be presented with the Gospel, but you will not be turned down if you reject it. Regardless, you will be fed and have a warm place to sleep.

And yes, I have helped several as individuals through the years....most go on with their previous lives, but at least two that I know of, have actually given theirs lives to God and are doing well. In fact, one is taking Bible College courses now.

I didnt post this to brag. No indeed. I have shared the gospel with hundreds of people, but these are the only two that I can honestly say that heard it and responded to it.

John

5. idonthavetimeforthis

That's good, John; but that's not what I asked. I didn't mean, will you share the Gospel with a Calvinist, etc. or let them into your church. I meant, would you unite with Luke to reach your community for Christ? If not, why not? If so, why?

6. idonthavetimeforthis

seekingthetruth,

In another thread you referred to Calvinism as a false Gospel.

If you believe Calvinists preach a false Gospel, then I would assume you would not unite with them in your community to reach the lost...But what about social causes, like standing against abortion, etc.?

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    idonthavetimeforthis asks this question: Would you work together in the ministry of Christ even though you thought they were false teachers.

This is an excellent question. Too often we see a "we/them" mentality where we exhibit tribalism, never being critical of my kin, but disparaging those who are "different."

Christianity is not tribal but global, anyone can be a brother in Christ, so there is no "them" other than them that are lost. To push them away, to divide the body of Christ, to undercut the gift of unity in the body seems ill advised.

On the other hand, within the body we are not to tolerate false teachers. But in our zeal to bring "them" to their senses, we must face two issues:

We have studied scriptures and prayed and with the light God has given us, we have arrived at what we believe is the truth. Therefore any view that say we have not rightly divided the word of truth is probably wrong.

Second, we are at least as smart as the next guy, and our view is the orthodox view, and we can point to a whole host of theological giants who accepted and advocated our orthodox view, so the probability that someone (especially an untrained someone) could find some revealed truth of scripture that has escaped the grasp of historical orthodoxy is small to the point of absurdity.​

And from these points of view flow the manifold malice of this board.

8. mandym

mandym New Member

I wouldn't. I would not want the ungodly rudeness of some folks to be the poor representation of the gospel or my Lord.