1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would you like this in your home?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salty, Sep 4, 2021.

1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The difference is...Miss Kitty is fictional. Displaying a slave flag while glorying in a kjv sign on swinging doors is reality.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Auston - if you didnt get the memo - the OP is about KJV - not the CSA flag - slavery, ect

got it!

If you feel that strong about some of those issues - that start your own thread.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would tear those doors down. Plus, I figure he’s using a 1769 version, not the 1611. Now, which is it, Cambridge or Oxford? :Biggrin

4. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see that both are prevalent thus both are connected and that should never be.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's conflating two different positions. I know plenty of Unionists who are at least KJV Preferred.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do non-slave supporters have a confederate flag in their house.?

The point is...don't be prideful about a bible version and then also show us that you support or tolerate slavery.

While the context of these verses is to legalistic Jews in Rome, the concept applies.

Romans 2:23-24

You who boast in the law dishonor God by breaking the law. For, as it is written, “The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”

You all get my point, even if it makes you uncomfortable and you disagree. This is my last post in this thread.

8. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all do respect not everyone who has a confederate flag believes in slavery. In fact I'll bet 10 out of 10 today do not support slavery. I won't fly that flag myself least I be misunderstood. But if you ask the people that have it I will bet they tell you the same. Again I would not fly it. Don't want anyone to misunderstand nor cause hurt feelings. But the reasons today are not slavery.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The answer is "yes".

I grew up in the South (Atlanta and Nashville areas) and in diverse school systems. I had Black friends with rebel flag license plates on their vehicles and two with rebel flag tattoos.

We have to be very careful not to project our prejudices onto other people. While to many of us the flag may symbolize racism, to others it is just a symbol of a culture (separate from the racism it can also represent).

Should people be mindful of how others see the flag? Of course.

To the Japanese the swastika is a good symbol. To most of the western world it is not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why I wrote they were Unionists? That means they and theirs supported the Union, not the Confederacy.

11. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The rebel battle flag became a popular display in the 40’s when democrates were in opposition of civil rights legislation.

The democrats were generally opposed to equality from the early years of the US right up until now. The power brokers may have changed hands but the limits in such things as personal and individual rights, freedom of the press, honor and accountability, have been long opposed by those folks.

Look at the current uprising, and it is rare to find a republican, or even more than a few misguided libertarian thinking folks.

KJV only folks also fit very well into the thinking of the ones who oppose … everything.

12. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would happily have those doors in my house :). I am of the view that those whom I fellowship with or support do not need to have my exact doctrinal positions, but only need to share the same Gospel foundation.

Same with my decoration. If it's at least Pro-Christ to some extent, then I'll take it!

13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Swinging doors were used in a lot more than saloons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice wood doors if one removes the letters and numbers. :Biggrin

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ONLY thing I'd have(and do have) in my home advocating the 1611 KJV is my repro copy of the 1611.

But we must remember Melton is a KJVO author who has a small cash cow from the KJVO myth. And he brings nothing new to the table; just the same ole KJVO jive, which was disproven years ago.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a bumper sticker on a metal storage closet in my garage that was produced by a company that makes items (accessories) for the competitive handgun (firearms) industry. The sticker has a Confederate Battle Flag and the caption "Because you said I can't!" That sums it up for me.

I can trace my background on both sides of my family to Union soldiers that died in either battle, regimental camp or in POW camp. I'm about as Union as one can get.

I have been reading about the Civil War for about 50 years, visited every major and many minor CW site in the east and many in the west. I studied, took and passed the entrance exam to be a licensed battlefield tour guide at Gettysburg NMP. While far from an expert, I have about 800 books on the CW and know a few things.

One of those things is that most CW soldiers in either side were not in it due to the issue of slavery.

I'm also not KJVO in fact I'm a critic of the movement. I can think of way worse things to have in my house then this kind of swinging door though. While I don't have the gift (like some here) of being able to search minds and hearts, I understand fully the Rebel culture and KJVO culture. If someone had a Sharps carbine and 20th Maine Regiment flag on the wall of their den and swinging doors with ASV/1901 would anyone here lose their minds?

I have mentioned this before, I'm a volunteer firefighter in a semi-rural area of NE PA. We have some here that fly the Confederate Battle Flag. We also have some that fly a Biden/Harris 2020 flag. This week we were called to a dwelling fire and I was one of those who performed the interior attack. This occupied house was total squalor, we had more trouble fighting our way to the seat of the fire through all the junk than extinguishing the fire itself. There were no flags, no Bibles but there were a lot of insects running around the place, so much so that when I got home I took my clothes off outside, placed them in a trash bag and then directly into the clothes washer, triple rinse cycle.

I have been all week struggling with trying to understand how someone can live like that in total squalor and not trying to judge those people but I will say I'm far more disturbed by this dwelling fire environment than a guy that displays a CBF or has KJVO saloon doors. I think it is not a good thing that political correctness has taken away rational thinking among the believing church. I don't exclude myself from this statement but I think we all need to grow up some.

#36 thomas15, Sep 11, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is unwise to wave a red flag before a bull. Similarly why wave a Confederate flag before Christians whose ancestors fought and died "to make men free." Or a declaration that the KJV is flawless? Click bait?

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize that bulls are color blind
    https://www.scienceabc.com/nature/animals/do-bulls-really-hate-red-colour-blind.html

as far as for slavery - exactly why did the Yankees fight"
    Remember, slavery did not become a major issue until later in the war.
    For Cause and Comrades: Why Men Fought in the Civil War, by James M. McPherson

#38 Salty, Sep 11, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The phrase "wave a red flag before a bull" is an idiom with the following meaning:

A willfully infuriating or aggravating provocation; something that incites great anger or annoyance. An allusion to matadors' practice of waving red flags at a bull during a bullfight, though the color of the flag actually makes no difference to the animal.​

• Like Like x 1
  20. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why on earth do you immediately go to KKK just because there is a Confederate flag? That shows ignorance.

• Winner Winner x 1