1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WOULD YOU RUN FOR OFFICE

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Salty, Oct 17, 2004.

?
  1. YES

100.0%
  2. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many of the BB, like to complain about those in office. Would you be willing to run for office.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

SaltcityBaptist, my husband served as State Representative in Connecticut (Republican) and I'm very proud of that fact. It was a time of giving for our whole family since Jim had to work his full time job plus spend many, many hours at the capital.

I was on the Meriden Republican Town Committee for many years before we moved to Georgia. I wouldn't run for office because I believe my place is in the home. I would, however, support my husband or children if they ran for office or reenlisted in the service. [​IMG]

Diane

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am running for the NY State Assembly in District # 120. I am running solely on the (click for) CONSERVATIVE PARTY [​IMG] The Republician Party did not put anyone up. :eek: So I decided to take the challange. My oppenent has the most liberal voting record in the State Assembly.
    Please pray for me. [​IMG]

Salty

ps this is not a campaign post. Even if everyone who could vote for me who is a member of the Baptist Baord (that is those in my district) I might get all of 2 or 3 votes!

Well I have much work to do these next two weeks [​IMG]

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I sure will pray for you Salty! Will you keep us updated on election night when you have a free minute?

Diane

5. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I would not run for office, having seen what it does to most people. Even on a local level, lying and character assasination seem to be the road to office.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I believe in being salt and light. I believe there are issues that need to be addressed, starting at the local level. It's not a question of if I run, but when. I have had people encourage me to do so and offer financial support. I am weighing my options.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have two questions:
    1. Two other voters said they are currently running for office. Just curious who you are
    (moderator said its okay to post you are running, just don"t make political speeeches ect)

2. Three voters said they would NOT pray about running in the next election cycle. Why would you refuse to seek the Lords will in this matter? Suppose He wants you to be elected? It seems I remember a story about some guy named Jonah. What ever did happen to him?

8. iq4truth

iq4truth New Member

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Salt City and IQ for truth: both of your posts could *technically* be considered advertising. Please contact Webmaster if you wish to further post things of this nature. In all fairness if he allows you to do it he'd have to let others, and this place could become a riot. (more than it already is!)
    There is advertising available on the BB for a reasonable fee btw. Check it out!
    http://www.baptistboard.com/advertising.html
    Gina

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This week the Syracuse newspaper (Post-Standard) will be making its endorsements. It would be a blessing to recieve it. That could be worth many, many votes. A member of the editoral board told me he was impressed that I was not wishy-washy about my platform. I made it plain in my platform that I am totally agains abortion and homo-sexual marriage. In all interview lasted an hour and half. We talk about several issues facing NY State.
    I tust if I am elected that I stand true to Gods word as I vote on state issues.

Thanks for your prayers and support (that is moral support, as I am not accepting any finincial support!).

11. Pete

Pete New Member

Too bad that all the people who know how to run this country are busy driving taxis and cutting hair. George Burns. :D

GO GET 'EM SALTCITY!!! :D

YOU TOO iq4truth!!! :D

Praying for you both here.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the editorial the Syracuse Post-Standard
    wrote concerning the endorsement for the state assembly seat I am running for.

Any comments?

» More From The Post-Standard

Editorials

State Assembly
    Tuesday, October 26, 2004
    Bill Magnarelli describes himself as an optimist who believes good things come if one keeps plugging away. The hope is that he will find reason to be optimistic about change in Albany and choose to put his muscle behind reform efforts being led by some of his Democratic colleagues.

So far, Magnarelli has talked all around the reform issue. He says he supports many of the specific recommendations of the Brennan Center, but he won't sign his name to a resolution supporting them. He talks as though Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver will voluntarily surrender the authority necessary to give rank-and-file legislators a meaningful role in Albany.

"I think the speaker sees what's happening," Magnarelli told this newspaper's editorial board. "Then we'll get reforms."

That's not leading, or following. It's standing out of the way of the most important issue facing the state Legislature - its own ability to function. Magnarelli's position may be the way to get along in today's Assembly, but it's not the way to fix a broken system. If a reform-minded Republican - or any viable candidate - had come along this year ready to vote for changes in the Assembly's rules, he or she could have drawn substantial public support.

Absent a realistic alternative, The Post-Standard endorses Magnarelli to represent much of Syracuse, plus Geddes and VanBuren. His only opponent, Robert Teachout, is on the Conservative Party line. Teachout supports term limits and budget reform, but his agenda otherwise is anything but moderate. He would eliminate a woman's right to choose an abortion. He would allow landlords to discriminate against same-sex couples. He opposes the smoking ban that protects the health of workers and the public.

Another two years of business as usual would certainly invite a more mainstream opponent for Magnarelli in 2006.

© 2004 The Post-Standard. Used with permission.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are the offical results as of to date (absentee ballots count will be completed by Fri, Nov 12) for the assembly seat I ran for.

NYS ASSEMBLY -- 127 of 127 precincts reporting (100%)
    DISTRICT 120
    William B. Magnarelli [D] 27,290 87% (X)
    Robert H. Teachout [C] 4,049 13%
    WRITE IN 4 0%

Keep in mind that I only ran on the Conservative Party line. Had I been on the Republican ticket, I would have had many more votes.

Monday evening I will be meeting with the Executive Vice-Chairman of our County Conservative Party. We will discuss the possiblity of my running for the same seat in '06.
    (would also consider being on the Veterans Party, and the Constitution Party.

14. billwald

billwald New Member

Ran for Public Utility District Commissioner couple of years ago. Filing fee was only $50 and I got that much entertainment and education from the experience.

15. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would, yet the problem would be choosing the party. Being backed by the party means that you are required to tow the party line on issues that may well comprimise your Christian faith, so that would be out of the question.

I would run for the Christian Parties though. Even if I didnt win, I could still put 100% into it and retain fully the belief in what I wanted to do.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only 730 days till the next election!
    Seriously though, I am meeting the Executive Vice-Chairman of the County Conservative Party, tonight to discuss my political future. Please pray for Austin, and myself.

Two questions:
    1 On the orginial poll five said they were running for office. What was the outcome?

2. Seven said they would not even pray about running for any office. Only one individual gave a "reason" why. He basically said there was too much corrpution. You know what, thats pertty much what others say about why they dont come to church! HMMMMMMMMM

Salty

17. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Go for it, Salty. I pray that your meeting will be productive and filled with wisdom.

-PA Jim