1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you travel on a Wagon train?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Salty, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you lived in the 1840's would you have joined a wagon train to travel West?
    St Joseph, Mo to San Francisco was was 1750 miles!. The Train would take about
    90 days. That would mean they would need to travel about 90 days which = about 20 miles per day.

Would you have considered making that trip??

Does anyone have any ancestors who did make that trip?

2. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I would have been hard headed and went on ahead of the train then lost my head to the Commanche

of course, if I had fallen behind, I would beg for everyone’s help

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if they had wifi and cell service so I could pay attention to the Baptist Board while traveling. :Cool

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, of course many of my ancestor were pioneers.

However, I do not know of any that made that specific trip. Many of you have read "Little House on the Prairie." They moved by wagon to about 10 miles south of Independence Kansas. The same year, my relatives moved about 10 miles north of Independence Kansas.

My grandfather, in 1919 moved to a homestead near Rattlesnake Buttes Colorado. But that trip from Kansas was by train, then only a short jaunt by wagon.

According to some reports, my Great Grandmother was the first white women born in Colorado Territory, at California Gulch, later named Leadville.