1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would you vote to call a man as pastor if...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ktn4eg, Nov 27, 2013.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

It's not an issue. Nor should the question even be asked.

(No offense.)

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It unfortunately is still an issue for some. Baptist history isn't very pleasant to read in this area, but thank The Lord attitudes have dramatically changed.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I would say the last person in our church to think such nonsense died over twenty years ago, so the infection of that attitude must be almost gone from most churches. I did get to thinking however, had I been born fifty years earlier, where I would have worshipped, because I would never have belonged to a local church that condoned such garbage.

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!! Perhaps in 1990-1993?? When that person was alive this type of thing may have been more prevalent, but today things are not as bad as they once where. BJU would have been fully active in their interracial dating bans in 1993 and any student or staff that questioned them would have been in trouble. Thank goodness after the year 2000 due to much controversy they changed.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    . . . not if he were white.

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

S/N if you were born 50 years earlier your opinion would have been formed by different times and could be entirely different.

I worked with people of different races most of my career and came to admire many and became friends with some. I do not believe I am a racist now but I realize that if I look at a different race as a group I have some racial animosity. {If I look at the white race as a group I can have animosity, don't whether it is racial or not.} My children and especially my grandchildren have different views than I do. They were raised in a different time. However, as I posted somewhere recently, I don't believe anyone is totally free of racial bias particularly if they see the race as a group and not as individuals.

My oldest granddaughter is teaching in a Christian School, second grade. Two of the black children in the class are giving her trouble. When she was doing student teach she taught in a predominantly black school in South Augusta, liked the children, and was offered a job there. The problem is not caused by her. Apparently after meeting with the principal and parents she is convinced the parents are the instigators. Racism is not limited to the white race.

When I was a boy, young man, the Union Association of the Old Regular Baptist Church in Southwest Virginia and Eastern Kentucky has some black churches. There were a number of blacks in attendance at the funeral of my uncle, moderator of the association, in 1957. My memory is faulty but I believe a black preacher spoke at the funeral services.

I tell the above stories to show that the problem of racial bias is not a simple one and it is awful easy to cast stones.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Racism
    n.1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

8. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as he preached the word of God and both met the biblical qualifications that are spelled out in 1Tim 3, I would vote for him.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats the problem with some churches - "he preached such a wonderful message - Lets vote for him"
    Is he the man that you believe the Lord wants to lead your church?

and let me throw this out as well. If you did consider an inter-racial couple - would you be more likely to vote in the affirmative so as not to appear racist?

10. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First you have added to my words. I did not say if he preaced a wonderful message. I said if he preached the word and both (he and his wife) meets the biblical mandate.

To your question I have no need to vote a certain way to appear to be something.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not add to your words ( and I'm not counting 'wonderful' ). From your statement, as long as a man preaches the Bible and meets I Timothy - you would vote for him - regardless of anything else?

What I am saying is that those two requirements are very important - but not the end all!

(of course we could debate what the intent of I Timothy is! - But that is for another thread.

12. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

13. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes you did add to my words and yes preachig the word of God and meeting the biblical requirements is all that is required.