1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wow, I'd hate to be in Mike Shula's shoes...

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by StefanM, Nov 4, 2006.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Crimson Tide, the 2006 SEC Champions of Choking, just lost to Mississippi State. Yes, that's right...Mississippi State.

What has happened to Bama????

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

About half of Alabama's offensive line is, to put it bluntly, awful. They can't stop anyone...there are two linemen that are worth having. The rest are beaten every game.

That is compounded by two issues: Shula's stubbornness, and bad play calling. He desperately needs an offensive coordinator that will call plays, but Shula refuses to give that up. One knock against him is that he is extremely stubborn...examples:
    • He leaves Chris Capps on the field. Capps is a great young man, but a terrible lineman. He gets manhandled every week.
    • Not bringing a sub in for Kenneth Darby in the games that Darby forgets to show up.
    • Insisting on the following sequence virtuallly every time the Tide is in the red zone: 1st down: run up the middle; 2nd down: run up the middle; 3rd down: pass up the middle.
    • Not firing 'Bama's special teams coach. Alabama's special teams are horrible.
    Bama will finish the year 6-6, and then will lose their bowl game. Next year will be Shula's last, IMO.

3. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

rbell, you are probably giving Bama a whole lot more credit than most on how you think their season will end.

You are right on one thing though...Shula's days are numbered there. They have been after his head since almost day one, so if he isn't careful his spot in the unemployment line may come as early as this spring.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

well, actually...my 6-7 forecast means they'll lose the remainder of their games.

But with the remainder being LSU, Auburn, and a Bowl team, I hardly call that prime-time prognosticating:tongue3:

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bama has repeated a cycle 3 complete times over the past 10 or so years. They have a losing season, followed by a mediocre season, followed by a 10 win season. They won 10 last year.

I thought that they would break the cycle this year because of the expectation that they'd beat MSU. I still think they'll beat any bowl opponent they face at 6-6 to break the pattern. However, Bama fans shouldn't expect another great year until 2008 when all of those young players become juniors and seniors.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I believe this year Shula will get his "Walkin' Papers" --- then keep your eyes on LSU's Jimbo Fisher as likely replacement!!

The Tide's problem is they're trying to hang on to "The Bear" tradition --- whoever coaches the team has had to either coached with Bryant---played for Bryant----eaten breakfast, lunch or supper with Bryant---gone to the same church as Bryant --- shopped at Wal-Mart on the same days that Bryant did ---- have lived in the same Cul-de-sac as Bryant---etc, etc

If they bury that tradition----they'll soon work themselves back to #1 contention!!!

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It will take more than that to get Bama back to #1. They now have a very long history of being second tier and don't have the national recruiting pull of schools like UT or Auburn at this point.

That'd be a good move for Jimbo. LSU is probably headed for decline under Miles. Fisher and Pelini would be wise to get what they can while they can.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Shula was given an apparent vote of confidence by his AD.

Face it: Bama is probably always going to have someone with Bama roots. Fran and Price have given the Bama faithful all the ammo they need about keeping it in the family. Who else do you get, though, when Shula is eventually canned?

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

UA president Witt and athletic director Moore have a pretty poor track record of "picking 'em." Even with Shula gone, (which I doubt) I don't see them improving the situation.

10. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

How about Broadway Joe Namath :laugh: :thumbsup: :smilewinkgrin:

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm all for it.

It will cut out the network cuties and their stupid halftime interviews. No self-respecting girl will get close to Joe Willy.

Hiring Joe would also carry on another of Bear Bryant's traditions (hic) [​IMG]

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Latest rumor I've heard just about an hour ago is Tenn OC David Cutcliffe. He's an Alabama alum. I think it's far fetched. Cut has a heart history and I can't imagine his cardiologist approving the stress-free existence of Tuscaloosa.