1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Writing a letter to someone who is about to die?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Brad the Baptist, May 16, 2017.

1. Brad the Baptist

Brad the Baptist New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greetings to all!

I'm a new member to this board, and I've been so blessed in the short time I've been here. I really appreciate everyone's participation. This is my first post, so it's drawing me out of the shadows!

A few days ago, I was informed that my friend's father was recently diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer of the stomach. The doctors told him last week that he has 1 to 2 months to live. He is 48 years old, and doesn't want to have a pastoral visit. (He is unsaved as well).

I am a cancer survivor myself (in remission since 2012). The Lord used this disease to reach me, but that's for another thread. I feel led to write a letter to him, and I was hoping for any input someone could give to me. This has been on my heart for a few days now. Dealing with someone who is facing imminent death is difficult for me, especially since this person has no desire to know the Lord. I agree with my pastor, that I should pray and let the Holy Spirit guide me. I'm wondering if someone else has been in this situation?

Thank you in advance!

-Brad

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brad, first, welcome to the Baptist Board. May it continue to be a blessing.

Re your letter, based on the information you give, I would recommend it be a testimonial. Since you had cancer you have something in common. You might tell him of your situation, how the Lord used it and let him know you are praying for him -- both physically and spiritually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brad,

R.L. Vaughn certainly gave you good advice. The only thing I would add is that you write from the heart. Let YOU speak through your letter. While I can appreciate the sense of urgency in trying to reach your friend's father with the gospel, take time in your writing. Find a quiet place to write, free from distractions. Pray before your write, and then, just write as though you were sitting next to this gentleman and having a conversation. Don't worry whether you wrote all the right words. It's enough that you care enough to reach out this man. God's grace and mercy is powerful enough to cut through human limitations. May God, in His infinite mercy, save your friend's father.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Brad the Baptist

Brad the Baptist New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks a million guys!