1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wry twist of fate?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Gina B, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Would it or would it not raise some serious issues in your mind if someone during church services had a heart attack?
    That just blows my mind. It happened in church today to an elderly woman.
    If this woman doesn't make it, (paramedics were called to take her to the hospital) what's to happen to those who loved her who still attend? Will they be able to walk into there without breaking down or having serious problems with attendance?
    Does God really and truly expect us not to question the reasoning behind something like that?
    Gina

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Not really. What better place?

We've had an elderly woman have a heart attack during the service. She had a whole prayer team right there at her disposal! The whole church stopped everything and had a prayer meeting until we got the call from the hospital that she was going to be all right.

We've also had someone go into hard labor in the middle of the service and the paramedics had to be called to take her to the hospital. Again, prayer was offered up until we got a call from the hospital.

Seems to me, church would be a very GOOD place for this to happen.

If someone has a heart attack at Wal-Mart, I doubt the relatives would avoid shopping there because of it... ;)

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Would it raise serious issues? No. God is always right and always does rightly. A heart attack is not punishment, it is a part of life.

If I were the die of a heart attack what better place than in church with my brothers and sisters in the Lord!

4. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

We had a guy have a seizure in church once - it was very odd....but he didn't avoid coming back just b/c he had a seizure there. I know that God works all things together for good to them that love God (Romans 8:28)

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

A number of preachers would like to go from behind the pulpit. Sounds pretty good to me!

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see heart patients every day and am amazed at how many tell me that they were in church when the chest pain first happened. :eek:

There are statistics that show that heart attacks happen most often with exertion AND during the morning hours---so it's not so unusual that church would be the place.

Still...like lightning hitting a church...it makes you think.

Rob

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Perchance I am missing something here. :confused:

What does having a heart attack or lightning hitting a church make you think about?

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JUDGEMENT!!!!

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Heart attacks and lightning strikes are judgement?!?

10. I Am Blessed 24

Churches and Christians are not exempt from life.

It rains on the just and the unjust.

Lightning hits churches just like it would any other building and Christians have heart attacks just like anyone else...

And it's OK to ask God questions, but I do not 'question' God. There IS a difference.

§ue

11. Pete

Pete New Member

Amen Ben [​IMG]

Although I don't like the idea of going Home when in middle of a Sunday school lesson, might freak the kids out :eek: ...even more than my normal levels of freaking them out :eek: :eek: ;)

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

What she said [​IMG]

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's within the realm of possibility.

My opinion of course.

HankD

14. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

I heard about a church once that had to call the paramedics because a man had a heart attack. They carried 7 fellows out before they found the right one.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Of course, I suppose, - but there is no reason to question if a person who dies in church was judged by God or if a church is struck by lightning that it is God's judgement.

16. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While a cop, I responded to a medical call to a Holiness church near where I was patrolling. At the time, paramedics were a new thing, and I arrived to find a woman in full cardiac arrest, with a "prayer team" in session around her. I began CPR; none of the others in the building knew it. Unfortunately this person died in the ER after a valiant effort to revive her. Even though that service was ended(the others had a prayer vigil) the church resumed normal activity that Wednesday. A member said they followed the example of David with his son by Bathsheba...fasting & praying while he lived, resuming normal activity when he died. (I was lost at the time & didn't really follow their reasoning, and at any rate I had little regard for the Holiness denom.)

17. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Maybe it's not God's judgement but His blessing.Shout and sing me out on my way to heaven.Of course if I live through it what better group of people to be with than my brothers and sisters in Christ calling on God's power to pull me through. Either way I win.

18. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Sometimes God does funny things like that. There's a reason for everything and her having a heart attack at that moment in that church is just part of the plan.

19. NateT

NateT Member

If I'm not mistaken the church where Jerry Vines is at now, was pastored by another man when Jerry got there. 4 weeks before this pastor retired, his son had a heart attack and died during the service. 4 weeks later,the dad retires. 4 weeks later, he has a heart attack and dies (I think he might have been in church at the time)

We had a camera man pass out during chapel this semester, it was pretty scarry to see, but I saw him back at chapel later in the semester.

20. I Am Blessed 24

We have had numerous people pass out during weddings, at the church, because no one ever told them not to stand with their legs locked for long periods of time. :rolleyes: