1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yarnell Turns Down Louisiana College Presidency

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by RandR, Nov 24, 2004.

1. RandR

RandR New Member

If a committed conservative can't work out certain "governenace issues" with the board, then the issues at LC may well be as big as some moderates have been having us believe for the last year. That's too bad. And SACS problems probably really are looming....

2. scubablt

scubablt New Member

OK, for those who truly know, I would love to hear why Yarnell really turned this great job down? Let's face it, in Baptist University life, this was a plum of a job... a real gem...one of the best! I am a New Orleans Seminary grad with a Doctgor of Ministry Degree in 1990, so I know how important this College is in Louisiana! It is a BIG-DEAL COLLEGE and this is a BIG DEAL DECISION!!!

I know what the "spin" says, but what is the TRUTH? Or, are the top people afraid of letting the truth be known? I know in our beloved SBC, they have been afraid to let the truth get out for over 25 years. Too bad, because when the TRUTH is out, people can see it, pray about it, and make proper decisions based on the TRUTH and not lies, half-truths, personal beliefs, etc.

So, lets use this board to get out the truth; the true, God ordained truth ... out to the public! It is high-time the "truth comes out to public from the closed doors and closed rooms of so-called Executive Sessions" and allow the people to hear what the truth really is... OK? Let's do it! No rumors, gossip, lies, etc., but lets get to the truth.

Thanks, BLT

People may realize this yet, but his turning down this College job AFTER accepting it is a BIG DEAL in Baptist Life! It would be like a TOP college footbal coace accepting a high-profile job a t atope 10 University and then a few months later, right before he was to start coaching the team, to call and say they could not work out the details as to who would call the plays, design the offense, and select the Uniform style! Make sense?!? OK top administrrator

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah. Happens all the time. In business, schools, government. Say yes, get a look at what they said "yes" to, then back off.

But not good. Of course, for the real world, we have no clue what Louisiana College you're talking about. SBC I assume? Remember, that doesn't even compute with most of us on the BB.

So a nefarious plot is hiding the facts? Then please share your thoughts. WHEN/"if" the truth comes out, we'll test it against your theory! I am interested but totally clueless!!

4. RandR

RandR New Member

scubablt,

Read Yarnell's comments again carefully and read between the lines. "Governance issues" seems to mean that even though Yarnell is a committed conservative, he and the board couldn't agree on the board's appropriate role in daily governance issues. Sounds like they had one idea and he had another and they just couldn't agree. So he withdrew. I really don't think there's any sort of conspiracy to keep the truth hidden.

They apparently want a puppet. He apparently didn't want to be one. He's just more diplomatic than to come out and say it that way.

5. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

I know Dr. Yarnell and he is a good man with a great heart. I was originally concerned about him going to LC, only because I knew it would be a tough road. LC is going through an uncertain and heated battle between those who wish to reform and those who do not. Plus, I know that LC is facing some accreditation issues.
    If Dr. Yarnell had gone to LC he would have been inheriting a mess he would have to sort through. I agree that nothing secretive is going on. I think that "governance issues" were involved. Nothing anyone has said has contradicted the statements by Dr. Yarnell or the trustees. Unless new evidence surfaces we should just take both sides at their worth and wish both of them the best. LC will find the president they are looking for and Dr. Yarnell will continue to be a good professor at SWBTS. In fact, I do not doubt that Dr. Yarnell will one day be a president of a Baptist school. He has it in him.

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just for the record Louisana College was placed on one year probation

ABP News Article

7. RandR

RandR New Member

I don't think anybody was surprised.

What will be interesting to watch is to see if the board is really committed to letting the new administration run the day-to-day affairs of the school. The Yarnell situation seems to indicate that they don't plan to. Won't bode well for the future of LC's relationship to SACS.

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Among the controversies on campus were two trustee-initiated policies that many professors said violated academic freedom -- a 2003 move to require prior approval of class texts and materials by administrators and more recent actions that made the board more closely involved in faculty hiring and that required new faculty hires to be in agreement with the Southern Baptist Convention's 2000 "Baptist Faith and Message" statement.

This was a rather interesting paragraph. I wonder if the BFM 2000 signage will begin to become an issue in other schools...in regards to accreditation

9. RandR

RandR New Member

The former (textbook selection) is more of the kind of thing that turned heads with SACS than the latter (BF&M).

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The issue with Yarnell and the college was over administration control. They didn't want to give any administration control away so Yarnell, wisely, turned them down.

11. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Yarnell was a great catch for LC, and i do understand his decision not to come to LC.
    The board of trustees for the school want to have more say so in the administrative aspects of the school. They want to have more than the usual approval powers on new staff, as well as have input on teaching (text books mainly). Basically, the school's president was going to be nothing more than a figure head in some areas who answers to the board's every whim.
    I think that Yarnell did the right thing, and i do hope that we, as Louisiana Baptists, will force the issue to the forefront concerning the actions of the LC Board of Trustees and their power kick that they seem to be on.