1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ye Must Be Born Again

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Psalm145 3, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

There are many people who go to church and are very religious, yet, they are lost and in danger of suffering forever in hell(Matthew 7:21). The Lord Jesus Christ said, "Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."(John 3:3)
    The only way to be born again is to repent and trust Jesus Christ alone for salvation. Jesus paid our sin debt in full when He died on the cross, then three days later He rose from the dead, proving He is God.
    If you think you've always been a Christian just because you grew up in a Christian family, you may be deceived. If there's never been a time in your life when you were converted, then you are not saved yet.
    If Jesus is not the Lord of your life, then He is not your Saviour either. To just, "believe," as mental assent is not enough, the devils also believe, and tremble(James 2:19). Christ will not save anyone whose heart remains set against Him.
    The Bible says that salvation is granted only to those who acknowledge Jesus as Lord and are willing to submit their life to Him.
    2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
    Ye Must Be Born Again

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is an element of easy believism that has crept into Baptist circles. Three factors have added to this false doctrine:

(1) Billy Graham - while preaching the Gospel and often mentioning repentance, has emphasis on mass conversions repeating a rote prayer that may/may not reflect the heart. A "decision" is not synonomous with being "born again".

(2) Hylesites - while pushing for numbers of decisions, there have been horror stories of forced decisions, bribed decisions, mass prayers so that a bus route could have 20 saved, 50 saved, 100 saved. Same ones "saved" again and again with a mindless ditty that often meant nothing.

(3) Campus Crusade - watering down the original four spiritual laws so that now there is no repentance other than a brief "yeah, I'm a sinner" admission.

Easy believism will result in more people in hell than just about anything else we baptists do. Not as many as infant baptism will damn, but you get my point.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which of the four types of belief do you have?

Which one should you ascribe to?

(See the parable of the sowing of the seeds)

4. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The Bible says that salvation is granted only to those who acknowledge Jesus as Lord and are willing to submit their life to Him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And it is not from decisional regeneration; Rom 9:16 "So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy."

God chooses, God calls, and His sheep know His voice.

5. tlange

tlange New Member

What about the comment made by R.A. Torrey that he believed that only 10% of church members were really converted!!

6. Mike G

Mike G New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The Bible says that salvation is granted only to those who acknowledge Jesus as Lord and are willing to submit their life to Him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I get a chapter and verse for this? :confused:

7. SPAM

SPAM New Member

MIKE G, HELLO. ONE SET OF VERSES THAT WILL BE A GOOD CHOICE WOULD BE THOSE FOUND IN TITUS 2: 11-15 AND ALSO THE ENTIRE CHAPTER 3 OF THE SAME BOOK. ANOTHER GROUP OF FINE SCRIPTURES THAT BACKS UP THIS THOUGHT ARE FOUND IN II TIMOTHY 2: 6 & 7.

HOPE THIS WILL HELP. IF NOT, GIVE ME A BUZZ.

8. Mike G

Mike G New Member

SPAM, thanks. I guess my problem with the quote was that, to me at least, it insinuates that commitment and obedience is required before salvation. I just don't see that in the scriptures. Some examples: John 3:16-18, John 6:47, Acts 16:29-31, Romans 10:13, Galatians chapter 3. We need only to believe. Granted, obedience will come, but I don't think it's a requirement prior to salvation. Salvation is a gift. It's not based on anything we do, or could do, or promise to do in the future.

I guess this is part of the Free Grace vs. Committment/Lordship Salvation debate.

Thanks again for the response. I'm just trying to learn more and these discussions make me think through my positions.

9. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

There is no salvation apart from repentance. Repentance, confession, and submission to Christ as Lord are necessary elements of true saving faith. No one can be saved who is either unwilling to obey or consciously rebellious against the lordship of Christ.

In JOHN 2:23-25, they believed, but their believing was not adequate, it was not genuine, there was not saving faith.

Read JAMES 2:19, demons have all the right theology, but they will not bow to the lordship of Christ.

The gospel call of Jesus was to call sinners to turn from sin to follow Him. (see LUKE 24:47)

Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Repentance is not a pre-salvation work, it is not a call to stop sinning so you can get saved. God produces repentance in you when He saves you.

Read through the book of ACTS and note each time repentance is mentioned.

If you are struggling with questions as to what true saving faith is, I recommend a book by John F. MacArthur "The Gospel According to Jesus" -and please don't turn this thread into a MacArthur bashing forum,thank you. It is a good book.

1 Thessalonians 1:9 ... and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God

Ye Must Be Born Again

10. SPAM

SPAM New Member

Mike G, you are correct in the order you state your case. The gift of salvation is the first step, definitely not service, commitment and the like. It is not spiritually possible, because the indwelt Spirit hadn't occupied residence as yet. Those important "fruits" of christianity take time. Lord knows, I have a loooooooong way to go, but it is a daily walk that creates maturity. And, as always, the truest test is time.

Godspeed.

11. Mike G

Mike G New Member

Psalm 145 3 - I just finished reading McCarthur's book (I've read quite a few of his books, no bashing here, I enjoy his material). I've also read Hodges book "Absolutely Free" and Ryrie's "So Great Salvation". The problem I find is that I as I read these books, I agree with them all! I just need to study more.

Thanks for your reply.

Spam - I hear you brother. Good talking to you both.