1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Yet Another Racist Post (LOL) by Me?!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, May 12, 2015.

1. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Q #1: Yes, hence my citing that diamond/pebble saying.

Q #2: Very cold winter, especially February (my average daily low temp was -10, and it was much the coldest Feb. on reocrd here), but I was north and west of most of the big New England snowstorms. Full-on spring now, however - even the blackflies are hungry.

2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it did not keep you from sending them there, right?

Did you ever lodge a complaint?

I think we are entering into a cooling period, such as we saw between 1940 and 1970.

We also had a cold one, and everyone complaining about their bills. Me too. Though I had one of the lowest I've had in many years last month. Didn't need heat or cooling. Hoping for a mild summer. Don't know about up Maine, as some put it, but it gets pretty hot and humid down here.

God bless.

3. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in a broader sense but in the sense that the issue of inter-racial marriage was prompted by a law-suit.

Like I said, like "Don't eat pizza frozen."

That would make a great thread, maybe call it "No-Brainers."

Another is "Remove from cardboard before cooking."

I'm not saying there was no racial issues, but on that point I can see where such a situation would call for rules that protect the school.

I still haven't seen anything that changes the fact that the song of the OP is hostile and does not carry a positive message. D.C. Talk's "Colored People" is a song I think addresses the racial issue with a positive message that corresponds to Christianity and how a Christian should feel about the matter.

I will admit that I am biased and prejudiced against cultures, like the Rap culture, the Rock Culture, and the Drug Culture. But all of those are not racially exclusive, so I don't feel bad being prejudiced, lol.

Hope that removes the "huh?"

God bless.

4. OnlyaSinner

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it did not keep you from sending them there, right?

Did you ever lodge a complaint?

Q #1: Obviously. My daughter explored other schools, Northland in particular, but strongly felt the Lord leading her to BJU. That, plus the school's high reputation in academics and fine arts, allowed us to look past a policy with which we disagreed. It's a bit like staying in a church despite not agreeing with your pastor about every single point of doctrine. If the difference is a fundamental, time to leave. If it's a matter on which believers ought to offer liberty, one has to decide whether or not it's important.

Q #2: No, and I would not have thought of it. The most I might have done (looking in hindsight) would've been to send a note expressing my disagreement, and my hope that the policy would be changed.

5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds reasonable to me. It would seem this was not a fundamental issue requiring a boycott of the school. I don't know enough about it so can only comment on what I see posted here, and don't really see it as an issue to get overly worked up about, but apparently the fellow who wrote, produced, and published the song of the OP did, lol.

Music holds great sway over a great many people. As a former musician I know this from both sides of the aisle. When I see music used to advocate for things which corrupt, no matter how slight it might seem, it bothers me.

About the only band I have found since being a Christian that has remained constant in songs that bring a positive message is Casting Crowns, though I there are a number of musicians who do the same thing. But in a consistent manner, Casting Crowns takes the lead. D.C. Talk was a band I got interested in because of the song Jesus Freak, which was kind of Rock (with an unfortunate snippet of Rap) and I used to play Metal so it appealed to me. They split up and one of the fellows is mostly a Rap Artist, and while I guess it is a good thing there are artists in rap trying to bring a positive message, it fails to meet the quality in message of their older stuff.

I didn't notice, but did you listen to the song or critique the lyrics? Be interested to hear what others think about it.

God bless.

6. OnlyaSinner

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like others, I found the lyrics to have gratuitous anger; once folks start tossing "Fascist" (among other things), into the conversation, real communication tends to cease. Because of the OP's caution, "If you hate rock music...", I did not listen to the song. Being very traditional in my preferences, I thought that a strong rock tune would compromise my chances of giving the lyrics a fair hearing.

7. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was bubble-gum, lol. J. Geils kind of production. Not really Rock.

This is the danger of music...the message presented in it.

As a former Heavy Metal musician, which I gave up after being saved, I can still appreciate the quality of music and the talent of musicians in that format. Give Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Midnight in Sarajevo a listen to see what I mean. Instead of a violin, we have a guitar, which in that song is amazing. Classical Music is the forerunner of music like that. Different instruments, but essentially the same attempt to create a work of art that makes an expression. That album is one of the best, in my opinion, ever produced.

But it's the message that is important. People will gravitate to the style of music they like, and then choose from the selection for messages they like. Those who would view this song in favor would likely have tendencies towards racial bias, because no-one, and again this is just opinion, can listen to the song, or read it's lyrics, and then pat the artist on the back for contributing to the campaign to end racial contention.

God bless.

8. OnlyaSinner

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt I'd be all that thrilled with bubble-gum, though probably less negative about it than about hard rock. However, the little I've heard from Trans-Siberian suggests there's a lot I'd like. I've always liked close harmony, even before I got into barbershop just before being saved, and my favorite hymns tend to feature interesting harmony parts around a strong melody.

9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had a friend that was in a Barber-Shop quartet, and I enjoy hearing that every once in a while, but my heart still enjoys the sound of quality playing of instruments. Because of my bias it was not until after being saved that I was, I feel, able to give an unprejudiced assessment of music in general. If you listen to Blue-Grass you will find the same skill level we see in certain Metal and Classical productions. Blinding speed guitar licks with a twang, if you will, lol.

My friend was a bass. What about you?

God bless.

10. OnlyaSinner

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bluegrass also can have some of the close harmonies I enjoy. For the most part I've sung bass, though if I ever got back into barbershop I might choose baritone, as that part gets some of the nicest notes in the nicest chords. We used to call it "Chinese music" because it had less of a pattern (no real "countermelody character") than the other parts - just filling out the chord. I've also sung tenor in the church choir, not recently because I've lost some from the top of my range (age, plus fusion surgery at C-4, right behind the larynx.)