1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yoga

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by ElenaP, Nov 15, 2015.

1. ElenaP

ElenaP Member

What are your views on participating in yoga?

I have noticed quite a few Christian churches offering yoga. However, my understanding is that yoga is a part of Hinduism, and each pose is like an offering, supplication, or some form of worship directed at different Gods.

Do you feel yoga is ok, or does it go against Christianity?

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Sue-Ellen

Sue-Ellen Active Member

I see nothing wrong with doing yoga. I have done it before in the past. I have found it to be relaxing and a great stress relief. I know a number of churches which find it acceptable and partake in it. I guess it would depend on your church and their beliefs on it.

4. heisrisen

heisrisen Active Member

It originates in eastern mysticism and Hinduism and they do poses to praise their millions of false gods. So yes, it does go against Christianity. We are living in a time of incredible apostasy, so it's not surprising that "Christian" churches are blending in with the world and bringing new age occult in.

5. ElenaP

ElenaP Member

Another argument I have heard against yoga is that even if you do not believe the poses are directed at various gods, the practice of yoga opens you up to exploring or finding value in new age beliefs, eastern mysticism, etc., and going further down that road.

I do believe that is true, because I myself have been there.

One Christian church in our area is offering yoga for preschoolers. Would the thought of your young child being taught yoga change your views on the matter, or would you still consider it acceptable?

6. Hezekiah

Hezekiah New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Years ago I had an injury that involved a longish recovery. One of the recommended things was Yoga. I wasn't 100% comfortable with it considering it's origin in Hinduism. However, I spoke to my pastor about it and he said provided it was the completely secular Hatha Yoga, there was no issue. And, indeed, there was zero reference of anything religious during the class.

As to the exercises themselves, eh, it was fine I suppose. Some poses actually helped with flexibility and strength. However, I didn't stick with it for very long and instead went back to more conventional exercises (e.g., gym routines, cardio, calisthenics, etc.). YMMV.

7. Amy13

Amy13 New Member

I think as long as you aren't doing it with the intent to praise Hindu gods, then you are fine. My church does offer an alternative to regular yoga called holy yoga however that is God centered. I have been meaning to check it out.

8. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist