1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

York on Rove

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Pastor Larry, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Selected highlight that no one seems to be talking about honestly. Some of you guys are so gullible on here that you will believe anything that makes Bush look the least bit bad. There is little objectivity in these discussions, sadly.

http://www.nationalreview.com/york/york200507121626.asp

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The press is making more of this than John Kerry did because John Kerry realized early that Joe Wilson is nuts.

Mrs. Wilson worked in the Counterproliferation Division (CPD).

The special prosecutor has noted that there was no violation of the law concerning CIA agents. The case should have been handled by Ashcroft but here again Bush caved to try to get along with the Democrats. Wilson has been proven wrong on so many things that he did that the Democrat professionals have abandoned him and we are now in the hands of the bloggers and the yellow journalists.

Thanks, Pastor Larry!

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Expanding on the events related to the waiver Rove signed:

Luskin also shed light on the waiver that Rove signed releasing Cooper from any confidentiality agreement about the conversation. Luskin says Rove originally signed a waiver in December 2003 or in January 2004 (Luskin did not remember the exact date). The waiver, Luskin continues, was written by the office of special prosecutor Fitzgerald, and Rove signed it without making any changes — with the understanding that it applied to anyone with whom he had discussed the Wilson/Plame matter. "It was everyone's expectation that the waiver would be as broad as it could be," Luskin says.

Cooper and New York Times reporter Judith Miller have expressed concerns that such waivers (top Cheney aide Lewis Libby also signed one) might have been coerced and thus might not have represented Rove's true feelings. Yet from the end of 2003 or beginning of 2004, until last Wednesday, Luskin says, Rove had no idea that there might be any problem with the waiver.

It was not until that Wednesday, the day Cooper was to appear in court, that that changed. "Cooper's lawyer called us and said, "Can you confirm that the waiver encompasses Cooper?" Luskin recalls. "I was amazed. He's a lawyer. It's not rocket science. [The waiver] says 'any person.' It's that broad. So I said, 'Look, I understand that you want reassurances. If Fitzgerald would like Karl to provide you with some other assurances, we will.'" Luskin says he got in touch with the prosecutor — "Rule number one is cooperate with Fitzgerald, and there is no rule number two," Luskin says — and asked what to do. According to Luskin, Fitzgerald said to go ahead, and Luskin called Cooper's lawyer back. "I said that I can reaffirm that the waiver that Karl signed applied to any conversations that Karl and Cooper had," Luskin says. After that — which represented no change from the situation that had existed for 18 months — Cooper made a dramatic public announcement and agreed to testify.

4. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

One thing we know for a fact Rove leaked and
    it is important to look back at the past and
    see what prominent Republicans had to say:

BUSH ADMINISTRATION SAYS IT WILL NOT TOLERATE LEAKS: "The president does have very deep concerns about anything that would be inappropriately leaked that could in any way endanger America's ability to gather intelligence information, and even that could harm our ability to maintain sources and methods and anything that could interfere with America's ability to fight the war on terrorism." - White House spokesman Ari Fleischer, 6/21/02

GEORGE H.W. BUSH CALLED LEAKERS 'TRAITORS': "I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the trust by exposing the names of our sources. They are, in my view, the most insidious of traitors." - President George H.W. Bush, 4/26/99

RUMSFELD SAID THOSE WHO LEAK SHOULD BE JAILED: "[Leakers] are disgraceful. They're unprofessional. They're dangerous. They put people's lives at risk. I would also add that I think it's the obligation of people who find people leaking to tell responsible authorities because folks that do it and put people's lives at risk ought to be in jail." - Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 2/13/03

ASHCROFT SAID LEAKS DAMAGE NATIONAL SECURITY: "Leaks of classified information do substantial damage to the security interests of the nation.” - Attorney General John Ashcroft, 12/14/01, upon creating a task force to investigate government leaks

One simple question: where are these tough talkers now when it comes to Karl Rove?

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It is plainly false, as of now, to say that Rove leaked. There is no evidence that he did. Secondly, the context of these quotes (if you are ethical enough to care about that) seems to be all in teh area of national security. Therefore, none of that applies directly here.

You really should start looking at the facts rather than operating on your glands.

6. Sonjeo

Sonjeo New Member

How did Rove know the CIA did not plan to use Wilson's wife covertly again. Do you actually think Rove checked that out before he made his comment to Cooper in that context? Common knowledge often does not know what is covert and we better hope Rove was not operating according to that.If she wanted to work covertly again Rove certainly fixed that didn't he. Rove has a lot of explaining to do to justify identifying anyone publicly that ever was covert. I hardly think agents want to put up with going around wondering what date they are considered officialy covert and what dates their identities can float around. Rove knew better and I think his desire to take a jab back at the Wilson's overroad his commonsense. One things for sure, Wilson's wife can never be used covert again even if they had planned to. In the end it will be no less than a matter of incompetence for Rove.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what?

Even the President does not have the power to demand prosecution of someone who broke no laws.

Why would you fire or even reprimand a person that did nothing wrong?

As a matter of fact, I believe a lot of people owe Rove an apology. [​IMG]

8. Sonjeo

Sonjeo New Member

Carpro wrote:
    "Why would you fire or even reprimand a person that did nothing wrong?

As a matter of fact, I believe a lot of people owe Rove an apology."
    -------------------------------------------------

You are assuming Rove did nothing wrong when we know we are far from that conclusion. It is not even clear yet whether Wilson's wife was undercover or not and common knowledge often does not know what is covert. Are you ready to apologize to Rove even when you know he revealed an agents identity that could be used again to operate covertly? Will you apologize for his incompetence? An obvious bias is showing here in favor of Rove.

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The not so remarkable thing in all this is that liberals are innocent even when they have broken actual laws... like not lying under oath ever- no matter what the topic is.

Yet the implication that a Republican might have done something wrong is the same as a conviction.

One of the apparent problems here that no one seems to be saying much about is that the CIA became politicized under Clinton. They have an ideological agenda that goes beyond loyalty to the US regardless of who the people elect to lead the country.

Due to their ability to remain secretive and shoot guns, this situation is every bit as dangerous as if our military developed and acted upon a political agenda. Much of the military hated Clinton. However, the commanders by and large suppressed expressions of disrespect for Clinton out of respect for the office, government, and ideals of our nation.

The CIA leadership apparently doesn't operate with the same integrity and devotion to country... a very dangerous thing indeed.

10. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Larry the so called pastor;) it does apply and
    btw I posted Yorks "blame Matt Cooper angle" a day
    ago on another topic..rove has moved on and is
    claiming he is a whistle blower now :rolleyes:

Their are two roads here the legal and the moral one ..the quotes from prominent republicans
    cover those both so it is apropos in relation
    to the 2 day old York piece.

Like a demon in his last throes he is trying to
    hang on and is lashing out...as for the gland
    analogy I thought that was funny perhaps roves
    glands are out of water&lt;major gig&gt; over all of this..you reap what you sow Karl.

[​IMG]

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is precisely what should be done under our system of government.
    If it is actually proven that he did any of this then maybe he should be fired or prosecuted.

But you apparently think that the assumption of innocence is a "bias" in "favor of Rove." No one has demonstrated factually that he did anything wrong much less that he knowingly or recklessly did so.

Right now the only "real" thing we have is liberals in politics and the media in a feeding frenzy.

If Rove broke a law then... then again maybe we should hold him to the Clinton standard and understand that he meant well and that anyone would have done the same in a similar situation.

12. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

posted July 12, 2005 09:35 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Breaking news! now its Matt Coopers fault?
    wow! are we getting spin from all sides on this.
    One thing I observe is it smart for Roves
    Attorney to attack Cooper the day before he
    testifies before the grand jury.

Rove needs to take responsibility he is lashing
    out in all directions now trying to survive like
    a vile demon being exorcised.

Hey! Karl loose lips sink ships...someone should
    yank your security clearance now!

Like I said Larry I posted the York angle two
    days ago...the blame Matt Cooper angle to see
    if it sticks.

13. Sonjeo

Sonjeo New Member

Scott J wrote:

"If it is actually proven that he did any of this then maybe he should be fired or prosecuted.

But you apparently think that the assumption of innocence is a "bias" in "favor of Rove." No one has demonstrated factually that he did anything wrong much less that he knowingly or recklessly did so."

Well it is good to hear from a defender of the law instead of anything Bush.
    It was an assumption of a conclusion, not of pending innocence. The difference.

We do have Bush supporters in defense mode, that's for sure. The only reason this looks like a feeding frenzy is because of the hold his hand red carpet treatment the media gave Bush and his war for so long. Wasn't it shocking to hear the reporters challenging McClellan, on Rove, the other day? Not used to that, are we?

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Sexual abuse, rape and perjury can be tolerated but trying to keep a hostile reporter from making a fool of himself is criminal. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

What does that mean?

No it doesn't. It is talking about a completely different subject.

16. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

aren't you the one that claims to be a pastor
    but wants to outsource all your congregations
    jobs to mexico? ;) kind of hard to beleive but
    that is just my opinion.

actually it does the quotes do have relation
    to what your 3 day old article.

A few other notes: Luskin declined to say how Rove knew that Plame "apparently" (to use Cooper's word) worked at the CIA. But Luskin told NRO that Rove is not hiding behind the defense that he did not identify Wilson's wife because he did not specifically use her name. Asked if that argument was too legalistic, Luskin said, "I agree with you. I think it's a detail."

People do not like leakers it is a legal and moral
    road and at the least rove should be shown the
    door for lieing to the American people..and he
    lied to Bush and Scott McClellan.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

No.

No kidding. You should have checked your facts before yous said it.

Should have been your first clue not to trust it :D

Your quotes are irrelevant becuase they are addressing a different issue. It would be like quoting Bush on judicial nominees and saying that it applies to this case. It simply doesn't.

You complain about leakers. So why aren't you upset at the person who leaked what was going on in the investigation? It seems your antipathy for leakers is selective.

News reports are now saying that Rove got the name from Novak, not the other way around. The longer this goes, the more info comes out, there are going to be some people looking really dumb. I don't know which side it will be. That's why I say we need to wait until the facts come out before making judgments.