1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

You are formally invited to my nearly once a yearly pity party

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Spinach, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Are you excited?

Sigh. Maybe it's winter blahs. Maybe it's Spring fever. Maybe it's just plain old down in the dumps. Whatever it is, it's no fun.

1. I have no friends (other than my wonderful husband, but he's gone all the time). I try to reach out, but my schedule never meshes with anyone else. I had my Mom, but her email time has been restricted. I have my goat, but I can't understand her. :)

2. I'm at home almost all the time, with my 5 kids. Don't get me wrong, I love them to death, but I can only talk just so much about which super hero is cooler and why. I would go to more meetings, but our family fills up the van, and the van is needed to carry the believers to the meetings. It's a sacrifice for the work.

3. I'm having some health problems and am unsure of how to get it taken care of here, though I'm going to try. It's pressing on the mind.

4. Then there is all the other everyday missionary struggles---language, finances, balancing home and ministry, etc, etc, etc.

I don't know for sure what I'm trying to accomplish by this post. Maybe just to vent. I don't know. Maybe just a few "Hang in there, sister Spinach, you'll be ok" or "I'll be praying for you"s.

You know, when Elijah had his pity party, the Lord supplied the cake. Maybe He will do the same for me.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Can't make it!

Sorry, I can't make your party.

I already have more offers than I can possibly make, as it is! ;)

Ed

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    spinach

Ed, that wasn't at all sympathetic.Spinach,I will pray for your situation.I have no real advice for you though.In what country are you living?Is it okay to divulge that?

4. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Are you sure, Ed? I make super good comfort foods (complete with lots of chocolate!)

Rippon, I prefer not to name the country, but I am in Eastern Europe. Thanks for the prayers!

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Remember that "Blessed endurance" James 5v11 sometimes comes along with "Blessed assurance."

There are times when all we can do is endure. It was good enough for Job. It was good enough for Jesus (Hebrews 12v2) so don't feel bad when you are called on to endure and look for the blessings that are there.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Spinach

Ummmmmmmmm

Dr. Blackbird(the Baptist Board "shrink") has read your post and has returned from his lab with the test results

There seems to be a problem he has evaluated in your post

While 99% of the post is well understood ---- he fails to understand the other 1%

Your problem is

The goat

You don't understand the goat!!!

Thats the whole problem

I mean, you understand your husband being gone

You understand the kids

You understand the work and the ministry

You understand the housework---cleaning, cooking, and junk like that

But you fail in the understanding of the goat

You and that goat has got to get together on a few things

You can't go through life never understanding the goat

I mean--------listen-------I understand the goat I have to the fullest

When my mother in law speaks----------I understand

Yes------your goat is the problem!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

((HUGS)) Sweetie! I can't imagine being in another country without the support of family and friends around like I have here. It's such a sacrifice yet God is blessing you for what you are doing there.

I do pray for strength, for clarity, for comfort, for friendship and for wisdom for you to be able to not only get through your day but to thrive in it. If you ever want to chat on IM when I'm on, I'd be happy to - my Yahoo is annsni or if you can get on Facebook, they have a chat. Otherwise my e-mail is ann at nbc dot org. :)

8. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Sorry but I'm too busy with my own pity party. :sleep:

9. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Glad to hear that it's only once per year. Personally, I don't think I could handle item one, much less 1 thru 4.

DO let your husband know what's going on. Sorry. Usually we guys are just plain clueless as to what's happening with our children & our wives. DO let your sending church know your struggles. And let your mission board & your supporting churches know as well. Too often we pray for our missionaries in total ignorance. Let them them know your needs & be specific. DO let your mission board know of your medical issues -- they may be able to help you with accessing care in your country. You shouldn't delay this at all.

I hope you have fellow missionaries close by -- if not, I would search for some -- even if they are from another board or even (shudder) another denomination. Just to share life with others. My dad was in Eastern Europe several times after it opened up. It's a different place for sure. God's best to you ---

10. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Thank you.

You know, I heard a preacher say one time, "It's okay to get weary IN the way, but just don't get weary OF the way." I'll just have to rest in Him.

11. Spinach

Spinach New Member

This was truly funny!

Sigh. The goat. Up until last month she was my prodigal goat. Now that she has returned (and pregnant, I am told), she and I are on good terms (as in, I'm not threatening to BBQ her). The thing is, she's overdue and it's driving me nuts. I don't know why I'm so anxious about this goat, but I am. The truth is, I'm crazy about my animals and want to make sure that everything goes smoothly with her. She just needs to hurry up, already! LOL!

12. Spinach

Spinach New Member

You're super sweet, Ann. Thank you. You may see me on YM one of these times.

13. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

My grandmother used to say, "Did somebody get your goat?" and it sounds like somebody did get yours for a while.

Isnt that just like a goat though? Run off for a while and then come home pregnant.

AJ

14. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

BTW, I have had BBQ'd goat and it is rather tasty.

AJ

15. Spinach

Spinach New Member

This is good advice. Thanks.

I'm fortunate to have a husband who is very tuned in to me and the kids. He is there for us as much as he can be, and still minster. I appreciate his sacrifices as well. As a matter of fact, he decided that we would all go with him to his meetings today. It's a rare treat and I know the kids and I will enjoy it!

We belong to a group of missionaries, but we've all spread out in the last couple of years, so we don't see each other often. I'm excited, though, because I just found out that April 1 will begin English camp meeting. I can't wait to hear singing and preaching in my own language again! We will stay at one of our children's homes for 5 days. The kids look forward to being with the other kids, too.

As far as the medical things go, I am seeking out a Dr, with the help of our translator (she helps with all legal documents and such). Hopefully I'll have some answers soon. I suspect hypothyroidism.

Thank you all so much for your prayers, well-wishes, and jokes. Thanks for letting me vent/cry here. I really do appreciate it!

16. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Hilarious!

Actually, because of her persistence in coming home after curfew, I sent her to a home for wayward goats until she could behave herself.

In real terms, it goes something like this---I began sending her out with the shepherd last fall, and she would refuse to come home with me in the evening. I had to chase her through the village 2 nights in a row (with the nationals finding me comical to boot), and finally had enough. With the house renovations, moving out for a while, dh's schedule, and raising the kids (human kids), I knew I couldn't handle this stubborn goat all winter. Instead I asked a national Pastor's wife to keep her for the winter for me. She was well cared for and when I was ready to take her back, I did.

17. Spinach

Spinach New Member

We've been invited to partake in roast kid for an independence day celebration in March. I'll have to wait and see what I think of the meat. I'm sure it will be tender---unlike my tough old goat.

18. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

A couple of years ago a guy I worked with was given a rooster while we were at work. It was in a cage and in the back of his truck. Well, he wanted to go do some things in town before he drove home (30 miles out in the country) so he asked me if he could leave the rooster at my house for a few hours.

My wife was like 8 months pregnant, and she came home to find the rooster on the front porch, and immediately called me at work.

She said "why is a rooster on the front porch?"

I said "well, we didnt have one"

And she said "thats because we dont need one"

And to this day, she still wont let me have a rooster.

AJ

19. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I could tolerate a goat if they didnt leave those milk duds all over the place.:eek:

I promise you, BBQ goat is so good that if you try it you will never look at your goat in the same way again.

AJ

20. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Isnt it cool how I can sit here at 2:30 am and share jokes with someone thousands of miles away in Europe?

I would never have dreamed of doing that when I was growing up. Its just amazing to me.

AJ